Rope or No Rope

Do you prefer a rope leading to the bottom or to "sink"?

• Rope (a.k.a. Line)

Votes: 25 25.8%
  • "Sink"

Votes: 34 35.1%
  • Depends on situation...

Votes: 38 39.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the opportunity arises for using a decent/ascent line, I will use one every time.

Meng_Tze:
Then hold on to THEM...:D
Or just loop a cord or jon line around their neck a few times, and then do your stop 10' downcurrent from everyone. :)

I haven't had much trouble with other divers doing stops, but descending divers have been a problem. The descending divers tend to be moving faster, and are more likely to accidently kick you. OTOH, my experience is that divers on the way up aren't in a hurry and usually do a pretty good job of sharing space, and working their way past each other.

Using a jon line or other short line will let you get 10' or so away from the mooring/ascent line if you really want to.

Line for wrecks, but otherwise I love the feeling of freely 'falling' to the bottom. Especially in the tropics on a one of those 100ft visibility days... man, it makes you feel so tiny...

But yeah, if my buddy/group is using the line, I use the line. Getting seperated before the dive even starts doesn't sound like a good plan.

I hate lines with a passion. especially on descent. I prefer a heads down approach. Actually my new favorite is a freefall from the boat. That was nice to do on our recent trip to Oahu. My hubby/buddy and I got tired of the crowd on the line slowing things down so we just went off the other side of the boat and straight down.

Ascent lines-yuck! Maybe if people stopped going vertical it wouldn't be so bad.
I will use one in a strong current but otherwise I prefer an open water ascent, especially on a drift dive.

Fish_Whisperer:
That's my biggest gripe with lines: I hate doing safety stops and getting swarmed by other divers. Crap... If you're at 18' instead of exactly 15', I'm not convinced that it makes a hell of a lot of difference, but man, people can get pretty grabby, if they happen to think that you're in their way.

That's what they invented Jon lines for....

PaulChristenson:
That's what they invented Jon lines for....

Hey gotto love those "diver balls"

Bretagus:
...Especially in the tropics on a one of those 100ft visibility days...

I hate you.

On a "good day" on the Eastern Side of Japan the vis is 15' and averaging 6'.

Of course, I will admit that decending at night in 6' visibility with no line is a real rush.

... oh look! There's the bottom! <thud>

IwakuniDiver:
I hate you.

On a "good day" on the Eastern Side of Japan the vis is 15' and averaging 6'.

Of course, I will admit that decending at night in 6' visibility with no line is a real rush.

... oh look! There's the bottom! <thud>

Haha yeah that would be a rush. I've been too chickencrud to try that, but now that you mention it . . .

I get a better frame of reference when I go down a line. Once at the bottom, I take a mental note of my depth and get a frame of reference using my compass. It makes finding my way back to the boat much easier.

On the other hand, I've done many dives where using a descent line wasn't necessary or even appropriate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom