Rookie diver, just bought some gear... Worth It?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still occasionally dive a regulator bought new in 1983. It even has the original hose but it's been serviced every couple of years - probably closer to 4-5 lately. I would have no hesitation about diving it tomorrow.

No way I wouldn't trust 33 yr old hoses.
Impossible to inspect the inside...
Replacing them every 10 yrs seems prudent to me.

I own regulators going back to the 1960's... The soft goods tend not to last that long, BC's, hoses etc, but the metal bits are fine. Just take care of it. If you're diving that infrequently I would have recommended purchasing used where you could have gotten higher quality gear and saved money, but if you're happy that's all that matters.

Regarding the goals, what you have done to date is not really relevant, it's what you WANT to do. What got you into diving? What intrigues you etc. If cave or sidemount or deep wrecks etc are intriguing, unfortunately nothing but the fins will be able to go with you. If you are happy with recreational diving, then it doesn't really matter, because that gear will last. Your first stage is comparable to a Scubapro MK2 which has been mostly unchanged since the 60's....

Considering I'm new to diving, I am certain (hoping) this will be sufficient for some time. But I just want to know how I fared. What do you all think, was it worth it?
I would echo the comments of several other posters. There is nothing 'wrong' with what you bought. I imagine you put a smile on the face of the seller, not because you conspicuously overpaid, but because they quite possibly walked away with what they had in the gear.

If you are going to continue to dive in warm water, you can get good use out of the gear. If having your own gear allows you to dive more, then it was a good investment. This is not an optimal set of gear for diving cold waters (inland lakes and quarries, or colder ocean watersetc). But, the BCD you bought is considered a 'travel' BCD so if your diving is limited to trips to the Caribbean or FL, you will be fine.

I have an Oceanic Biolite BC. It's similar to yours but mine is a little more minimalistic. I will say I am VERY happy with my BC, I love the back inflate (yours has the same back inflate feature I believe). I think they’re high quality, it should last as long as you care for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom