Ron Lee's Personal Rules for Diving in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dont "keep" my wife back in the condo baking pies. She stays back in the condo but usually baking sugar free cookies or banana bread :) Oh and it is her choice to do so (thought I would add that before being hung in effigy like poor Ron)

This may be an acceptable explanation for your crazy rules if it was 1960.

There are many,many women out there that because of their superior rescue skills,buoyancy,and air consumption are more than capable of one day saving or assisting you. Don't burn anymore bridges..... or crosses.

OK; I am going to step into this now… Maybe it’s a generational thing because I was born in 59’ and I will even blame it on my father as I was raised in Texas BUT, I see it as more of a sign of respect!!!

I don’t have a problem with it, placing women first… It’s the way I was raised but I was also raised to say yes ma’am, no ma’am, yes sir, no sir, thank you and such. I also learned to open doors or hold doors open for others, assist with a bag, stop when you see a woman with car trouble, and offer a smile…

Now if this is all wrong then I raised my son wrong but it pleases me to no end so see him offer and then help an elderly woman down the stairs!!!

I use to hitchhike all over Texas when I was young… In those days, even a woman would stop and offer you a ride. My Uncle even pointed out to my dad that I got around faster hitchhiking than he did driving himself! Back then, there was the unwritten rule that if you hitchhike then you picked up hitchhikers… or maybe that was my own rule…

Times change I realize that… Point being; very seldom do I offer a hitchhiker a ride anymore but I still say yes ma’am, no ma’am, hold doors open, stop when I see a woman having car trouble, and help carry a bag…

The only difference between those days and these days… I will usually ask if they would like some help and offer an apology if I felt I offended them!

No Disrespect intended to the ladies… and if any taken, please blame my dad!!! (I do)

Lee

I like your rules Ron it's just that #1 makes me laugh. Seems a little sexist.

Its the internet. What else to we have to do but look for stuff to object to?

offended.jpg

And in the interest of killing sexism, ANYONE can buy me drinks and open the door for me. I will not object!!! (Or watch me on a dive, right Dandy D?)

Perhaps you heard about the "Rules" book that two young girls had hand written. It was lost at a Walmart and finally returned to them. From the ones I saw...basic good rules for a decent society. I am going to include a few of my diving rules.

1) Always monitor/watch over women divers.

2) Always monitor/watch over young divers.

3) Always monitor/watch over new/inexperienced divers.

4) Periodically count all divers in the group.

5) If I see a solitary diver on the surface, go check on them. Ending a dive is less important than ensuring their safety.

lol...very funny.

i have a few guidelines too

1..if im going to have a buddy make sure they are female

2...dont dive in groups.

3...stay away from american divers.

Did the title to this thread get moderated????? I could have sworn it didn't say that before.

If so I'm putting my LOL and eye roll out there right now!

:rofl3: :shakehead: :rofl3:

If you asked somebody to change it Ron, I'm going to be searching you for your mangina. If it was moderated without your consent...holy crap is all I can say right now, and there are too many people worried too much about nothing.

OK; I am going to step into this now… Maybe it’s a generational thing because I was born in 59’ and I will even blame it on my father as I was raised in Texas BUT, I see it as more of a sign of respect!!!

I don’t have a problem with it, placing women first… It’s the way I was raised but I was also raised to say yes ma’am, no ma’am, yes sir, no sir, thank you and such. I also learned to open doors or hold doors open for others, assist with a bag, stop when you see a woman with car trouble, and offer a smile…

Now if this is all wrong then I raised my son wrong but it pleases me to no end so see him offer and then help an elderly woman down the stairs!!!

I use to hitchhike all over Texas when I was young… In those days, even a woman would stop and offer you a ride. My Uncle even pointed out to my dad that I got around faster hitchhiking than he did driving himself! Back then, there was the unwritten rule that if you hitchhike then you picked up hitchhikers… or maybe that was my own rule…

Times change I realize that… Point being; very seldom do I offer a hitchhiker a ride anymore but I still say yes ma’am, no ma’am, hold doors open, stop when I see a woman having car trouble, and help carry a bag…

The only difference between those days and these days… I will usually ask if they would like some help and offer an apology if I felt I offended them!

No Disrespect intended to the ladies… and if any taken, please blame my dad!!! (I do)

Lee[/

Within the context of diving skills my experience would be that gender has nothing to do with how skilled or safe a diver is. In my relatively limited travels I have been amazed at just as many women as men with incredible dive skills. The biggest difference i observe is that most of those women would also use considerably less air than comparably skilled men.
Imo, there is nothing wrong with respecting others and looking out for those who are vulnerable but to make the statement that generally women divers need a man to look out for them while diving is ridiculous.

What does gender have to do with it? Wouldn't you help an elderly man or anyone who seems to need a hand?

Imo, there is nothing wrong with respecting others and looking out for those who are vulnerable but to make the statement that generally women divers need a man to look out for them while diving is ridiculous.

I went back and looked through this thread and can't find where anyone said this. Guess I missed it.

W The biggest difference i observe is that most of those women would also use considerably less air than comparably skilled men.

Gotta interject a little reality in this fantasy fest. Air use between men and women has everything to do with one is a man and one is woman and has nothing to do with diving skills. The underlying reason is lung capacity and the difference between the male and female bodies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom