roller bag with backpack straps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lorenzoid

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Any opinions on roller bags that also have backpack straps? I like my Stahlsac Jamaican Smuggler roller bag, but there have been situations in which a rough dirt road or long flight of stairs has thwarted my attempts to roll the bag, so I've been wondering if a roller bag with backpack straps would solve the problem. Or is this yet another example of a compromise solution between two styles being not nearly as good as either style?

It depends on the quality of the bag more than anything else. I have a fairly cheap rolling duffel with backpack straps, however the straps are really thin and hurt my shoulders when I carry a full bag of gear. I still like the versatility the bag gives, and will get a better quality one when this one wears out. The only other issue I can see with the backpack straps is that a fully loaded scuba bag might end up being more than your back can handle without some sort of waist belt.

Good point, CalgaryDF. I suspect that there will always be a compromise, because a good backpack (like, for backpacking) has features such as belt and lots of padding that one isn't going to find on a scuba bag. I considered switching to a backpacking bag for certain types of dive trips, but when I experimented with this idea by trying to pack all my gear into my backpack, it was clear that even my large backpack isn't going to hold BC, fins, clothing, etc.--I need a bag that's pretty much the size of a dedicated dive bag, like my Jamaican Smuggler. Hence my post here. I wish the Smuggler had backpack straps.

I have an Armor bag with straps. It's way too big in my opinion to use the back straps. I am sure they have smaller ones that may fit your needs. It is a sturdy bag, well made.

Good point, CalgaryDF. I suspect that there will always be a compromise, because a good backpack (like, for backpacking) has features such as belt and lots of padding that one isn't going to find on a scuba bag. I considered switching to a backpacking bag for certain types of dive trips, but when I experimented with this idea by trying to pack all my gear into my backpack, it was clear that even my large backpack isn't going to hold BC, fins, clothing, etc.--I need a bag that's pretty much the size of a dedicated dive bag, like my Jamaican Smuggler. Hence my post here. I wish the Smuggler had backpack straps.

REI has a few options listed on their website, but most of them seem to be carry on sized, so they might be to small.

If I was to buy another bag I would probably buy one of these MEC Fast-Track Rolling Duffle - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available. I don't know if the shipping hassle from Canada is worth it but I have had a great experience with MEC products. (MEC is similar to REI in what they sell and their business model).

Any opinions on roller bags that also have backpack straps? I like my Stahlsac Jamaican Smuggler roller bag, but there have been situations in which a rough dirt road or long flight of stairs has thwarted my attempts to roll the bag, so I've been wondering if a roller bag with backpack straps would solve the problem. Or is this yet another example of a compromise solution between two styles being not nearly as good as either style?

This bag might fit what you need.
AquaLung Tropical Deluxe Wheeled Backpack
or this:
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CategoryID_1051/Context_965/Sort_Stock/DescSort_0/PINBEB.html?Hit=1

SangP

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I (the OP of this thread) ended up buying a Stahlsace Jamaican Smuggler, just like my wife's. Though it is just a plain scuba gear-sized roller bag with no backpack straps, it's the RIGHT size, well built, etc. I just couldn't find a roller bag that was otherwise just right AND also converted into a backpack. Really, the Jamaican Smuggler is a candidate for this improvement. Hint hint, Stahlsac people.

I met with Dave the president of Armor Bags at Dema last year. I told him that underwater photographers were having a tough time traveling with all their camera equipment due to all the weight restrictions. We often carry much of our camera gear on board along with our laptop computer. There have been times when we have had to switch to smaller aircraft where the "airline regulation" size bags will not fit in the overhead. We were very hesitant to hand over our fragile equipment to the baggage handlers. So Dave and I put our heads together and came up with what we think is a GREAT answer. This bag is heavy duty enough to offer great protection, and lightweight enough to carry as a backpack. There is plenty of room in the outside pouch for your laptop, maybe even two if needed. The main interior compartment will easily hold the additional camera bag. It has velcro compartments so you can easily switch configurations. Best of all it is totally self contained. It zips up and has a handle so that it can be removed and placed in the overhead separately on the smaller aircrafts. The whole bag has a great telescopic handle and wheels so you can glide through the airport, or you can unzip the backpack straps and slip it on if needed. We think this is going to be a great bag for all traveling photographers.

For more information or to get your photo bag contact Armor Bags and tell them Jack and Sue Drafahl sent you!

Back
Top Bottom