Roll call: Any old NASDS divers out there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I remember is that if I didn't use Scubapro I would die.

Rick

How was Scubapro and NASDS connected? Did Scubapro own a chunk of NASDS? The training we took included the Betamax videos. I believe the videos and the instructor always said "jet fin" instead "fin".

The course cost $75, and surprize, we were to buy $129 of Scubapro basic gear from the dive shop the following week. Upon getting that list, some students never came back. I bought stuff elsewhere to cut costs, to the consternation of the instructor.

I'm an old NASDS certified dude. Was tought by Jim Gilligan/Mike Messina through Gilligans Isle dive shop in 1974 off the rosevelt blvd in Phila near the Tacony Palmyra bridge. I remember my replacment card had microfiche in it. I remember during the buddy breathing test my buddy was much older so he was in control. He turned the regulator upside down causing it to free flow and I tried to breath off of it, the second time I was choking and went to the surface. I was then repremanded for not letting my weight belt go. The belt was made up of many vinyl coated weights that cost me $44.00 back then. My excuse was that did not want to loose it and could not afford another.

NASDS certified in 1977 as an employee of Cap'n Frog's, then certified with SSI in 78' when the shop crossed over. The shop owner's instructor# was 801.

OWIC 534

Went to the Instructor collage in San Diego in fall of 80.. Tony Zamos and a Rick Smith(Denver area) were the teachers then plus another guy I cant remember the name of. Most of our pool work was at San Diego Divers. I remember the first day of class when Tony rode up on his Chopper... First Job was with Silent World Divers in Bellevue, Wa I still have that card.

Mark

I found this recently kewl!

Attachments

• SCUBA CERT.jpg
    SCUBA CERT.jpg
    344 KB · Views: 330
Just found my old NASDS cardboard C-card. C3897

Certified by Les Newport owner of Aqua Sports in July 1968 in Redwood City, California. Since then I have been very active, in both recreational and technical diving.

The place I started my NASDS scuba training was in Panama City, Florida. There was a shop located off to the south and east side of the bay as one was about to cross the old Hathaway Bridge.

Long, long time ago in a land far, far away . . . .

the K

Hey Tom

I was an instructor for Jerry at Michigan Underwater School of Diving (MUSD) My Instructor #is OWIC-296. I was there from 1976 thru 1986 and then Part time thru 2000.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom