Role of a Dive Master

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"As a PADI Divemaster, you're someone who seves other divers by solving problems, giving advice, lending a hand and making diving more fun." PADI.

Anticipate the needs of the instructor, assist with teaching classroom sessions and conducting pool sessions. In our system DM's actually do teach under supervision of the instructor. They should be able to do the lectures, demo skills, and pool side briefings. They oversee students set up their gear and offer advice when necessary but are not supposed to be doing it for them. They watch students perform buddy checks and assist with all aspects of the class.

On a boat I expect the DM to make sure the boat is squared away, set up and check the roster, and see that everyone stows their gear properly. They should not have to do it themselves. At the site I expect a good site briefing, have lines and ladders ready, and if necessary assist divers in and out of the water. I do not want them touching my air, planning my dive, or deciding what is interesting for me. I can do that all by myself. They also do not decide what my comfort level is or if in the water set the pace of my dive. I do that. I have heard of DM's motioning others to hurry up or go over here or over there. And get insistent about it. That is a good way to get a one finger salute and insure there will be no tip. Therefore I make sure when choosing an op that I am allowed the freedom to do the dive I WANT TO DO or I don't use that op.

On a boat I expect the DM to make sure the boat is squared away, set up and check the roster, and see that everyone stows their gear properly. They should not have to do it themselves.

Most of this is what the boat crew is for. Obviously I assist in this issue, but it is not my primary role when DMing. It's incredibly annoying that this has become the role of the DM on most American charters.

I have heard of DM's motioning others to hurry up or go over here or over there. And get insistent about it. That is a good way to get a one finger salute and insure there will be no tip. Therefore I make sure when choosing an op that I am allowed the freedom to do the dive I WANT TO DO or I don't use that op.

Often times it is up to the DM to be sure the divers are in or out of the water at a certain time. Keep in mind we're diving the same boats and the same sites every day. We have a schedule to follow. Our employers expect that we make that schedule. This is especially true on a liveaboard when we're doing 5 dives a day. If you gave me the "one finger salute" after I told you we need to surface or to rejoin your group or buddy... you wouldn't be diving anymore.

Depends-----some are there only to set the lines to the buoy & never get in the water with divers, some are there to hold your diving hand(s), & some are there to lead & show you the good 'stuff'...lotsa different job descriptions out there....

A Dm works for either the shop or usually the boat. He follows the policies of his employer so if a diver isn't happy with the decisions of the DM they are based on employers policies. As for the role of the DM, it's nothing more than bringing everyone back after having a fun day diving. It doesn't matter how a client feels the DM won't allow actions that threaten either a diver or his employer. I don't shlep tanks, but I have often watched a gear set up and corrected a problem in the making. As for air and rigs being correct I do check as I am the one that will get wet and do all I can to bring you back should something go wrong. It is a sort of thankless position, until something goes sideways. It's kinda like being a cop, no one's best friend until your knee deep in **** and then he's too slow and not nearly mean enough to the bad guy. That's why I quit even identifying myself as a DM on a boat. I still helped folks if needed..... old habits I guess
Bill

TimKy:
Overkill? Not if you are human. Humans make mistakes and all this type of "hand holding" only takes a few seconds or minutes and has undoubtedly saved countless lives in flying, skydiving and scuba diving. What is the downside?

Tim, I agree with most of your post, but I think you are missing something about the typical discussion along these lines. First, I agree we all make mistakes and we should all help out our fellow divers when we see those mistakes. What you are missing is that sometimes certified divers are so incompetent they are a danger to themselves and their buddies. DMs sometimes hold their hands, doing everything for them, allowing them to dive without increasing their competency level. The "diver" remains dangerous at any depth. That is the situation that some, myself included, would like to see change.

A DM is in charge of the dive. He is responsible for the safety of the dive. That does not lessen the responsibility of individual divers for themselves or their buddies.

DMs do assist with classes and often that is their primary role, but it shouldn't be. That role belongs to assistant instructors (AI) not DMs. DMs are used because AIs are so rare. A DM is in charge of a group. An AI helps instructors with classes.

I expect a complete dive briefing from a divemaster and the ability to answer questions. He is there to provide the local knowledge I need to make a dive safe: currents, tides, topology, hazards, etc. Once that is done, the less he does for me after that the more I will tip him. Ideally he'd stay on the boat while I dive.

I never touched equipment without first asking permission and explaining what I was going to do

I wish every DM took this approach. I am more than willing to let someone check me over. But if my rig is sitting on the boat, and and I see someone "touching", DM or not, I need to check again.

I find this a problem on the big cattle boats where most are using rental equip. I really appreciated the one lady that said, "I am unfamiliar with your gear, can I give a go over so that if I need to help, I know where stuff is?" She was thorough, strict with the group, and a good DM. Once she was satisfied, she then took on the role of tour guide.

On the flip side, I had one DM ask if my daughter and I could switch my DC to bar instead of PSI so the whole group would be on the same units... (I said no) My thoughts are if you are a DM, and dont understand both sets of units, you might be in the wrong profession...

On the flip side, I had one DM ask if my daughter and I could switch my DC to bar instead of PSI so the whole group would be on the same units... (I said no) My thoughts are if you are a DM, and dont understand both sets of units, you might be in the wrong profession...
It would be a lot easier for you to divide by 15 than for the divemaster to keep track of each diver's unit preference, I would think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom