Role of a Dive Master

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TimKy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Just out of curiosity, what do you guys think the "correct" role of a dive master is? I'm new to the board (I was certified and very active about 23 years ago and just recently got back into diving after a very lengthy absence) and I keep reading posts about people needing to fend for themselves while the DM's just hang back. If they are just there to occupy space on the same boat or in the same body of water at the same time, then I guess I don't understand the value of a dive master at all.

I always thought DM's were there to anticipate problems and to head them off and to help everyone have a safe, enjoyable dive. That would, at a minimum, seem to include: checking to make sure that everyone has setup their equipment properly, making sure how much air everyone has on the surface and looking for inexperienced divers and providing extra help getting them squared away and monitoring them on the dives.

IMHO, the line about them being certified and needing to take care of themselves is disturbing. I'm an instrument rated pilot and skydiver as well as a scuba diver and I'll tell you that the other two avocations treat the concept much differently.

In skydiving, for example, you check your own rig, you and your buddy check each other's rigs and the jump master checks all the rigs before you leave the aircraft. Many times over the nearly 24 years I've been flying, I've gotten the feeling that someone in the FBO was really acting nervous about an upcoming flight. I could have just said, "Hey they're certified pilots just like I am" and left them, but I didn't. I struck up a conversation and tried to figure out what was bothering them and how I could help. Sometimes, it was a weather forecast they didn't understand or feel comfortable with. Other times, they had experienced a bad landing, an angry controller, rough weather or something else that had shaken their confidence. Sometimes, they had limited experience in the busy or complicated airspace they were going to operate in that day. In every case, I did everything possible to help them overcome whatever obstacle they were facing because I love flying and I wanted them to love flying and to insure they were safe. Keep in mind, unlike a DM, I was not a paid employee or instructor - I was just someone who happened to have stopped at the same FBO on my way somewhere in my plane.

Overkill? Not if you are human. Humans make mistakes and all this type of "hand holding" only takes a few seconds or minutes and has undoubtedly saved countless lives in flying, skydiving and scuba diving. What is the downside?

When I dive, I look out for my fellow divers...all of them, not just my buddy. If I see someone struggling with equipment, I'll either help them or point them out to the DM's so they can help them and be aware that there is a possibility that someone is a little over their heads. I sincerely hope the others on the dive are doing the same for me. It's common courtesy, it takes no time at all and it could save someone's life.

So, the thought that the dive master, (and any other paid employee on the boat) who purports to be an expert in diving and is in a leadership role relating to that dive and that boat feels it is unnecessary hand holding to do anything for the paying clientele other than just show up and make sure the divers actually fall into the water just doesn't make sense to me.

Just to be clear, I'm not baiting anyone. I just truly want to understand the role of the DM (and anyone else on the dive) so that I can make sure that I have done everything possible to keep myself and anyone else on the dive as safe as possible. I also want to make sure I'm not making any assumptions about the available aid or oversight available that might cause me to get myself or others into an unsafe situation.

Thanks in advance for the responses! By the way, this is a fantastic resource for diving and I have enjoyed trying to read every post I can. This seems like a great group and I look forward to learning a lot here and making some new friends.

In my position as DM, I feel its my job to make sure things go smoothly and safely on any dive I am leading or any class I am helping with for everyone involved. I do this with a soft touch, and professional attitude. My theory is, if I am doing things right, it should look like I did nothing at all. Everything should be in its place and ready for the instructors and the divers, and based on talking to the students and instructors, I should be able to predict what is going to happen at each step of the dive or course, and act accordingly. If a student needs help or encouragement, that's what i am here for too. Getting divers excited about diving and encouraging them to be better than the minimum, and helping in any way that helps them feel encouraged and excited is also job #1, 2, and 3 when I am the DM.

However, as a DM I am also a professional. It is NOT my job to put people's gear together for them, shove them in the water, drag them along on a 20 minute dive and put the herd back on the boat clean them up and wipe their @$$. Being a 'whipping boy' or 'tank sherpa' for the instructor and otherwise deal with their flak is not in my job description either. It makes me very disappointed that DM's get this sort of treatment.

Ever take a guided tour, or go on a cruise ship & take a paid guided excursion?

Often on chartered dive boats, a dive master leads the group around (at least those who want to 'follow the leader'). Nothing wrong with that. Not everybody is good at open water navigation, or has the same aptitude for it, and to be blunt some people will never be good at it, but otherwise make fine divers.

If I can pay somebody to show me around a strange city & point out the sites, I can pay somebody to show me around a strange reef. Doesn't mean I don't know how to drive, or how to dive.

Richard.

With regards to the Skydiving analogy I think there is a significant difference with regard to perceived risk and behaviors that modifies.

The DM, atleast in the PADI system, is there to help head off problems. To engage divers and make them feel comfortable, and to help in planning to the extent reasonable. I know DM's that have a look at your SPG before you go over the side, and I know DM's who see there job as social. Chatting up divers to assess their stress and watching for common gear mistakes. Its a fine line as confronting someone in public about a poorly tied weight belt or regs on the wrong side can cause embarrassment.

There is a good chance the DM is at work and you don't notice.

People are free to rent their own nannies.

I prefer the dive master to make sure that he/she be available to fish me out of the water if necessary. Otherwise, leave my gears alone. I'm a big boy.

If I need help schelping gears or getting back onto the boat then I'll yell for help, but that's what deck hands are for.

If the divemaster were to nanny somebody, then who's looking out for the rest of the divers?

I too was a dm decades ago. I recall having a group of students abord who asked the instructor what the difference between an instructor and divemaster was. Before the instructor could reply, I chimed in "he wants to make sure that you are safe and have fun while diving, I do the same, I just don't care if you have fun."

I saw my job as safety. Yes, I checked the spg of every diver who went in and kept a couple from going in with less than 500 pounds. I never touched equipment without first asking permission and explaining what I was going to do, often in a voice that did not let the whole deck know the equipment was not rigged properly. I checked them in and out and kept them from landing on their buddy in the water doing both. I towed a few, but never really had to do a full blown rescue. I made sure that decks were kept clear of gear so divers didn't trip or lose it over the side. Assistance with gear was offered, but never forced.

Most people liked the approach. I was lovingly called the nazi divemaster in three ports in socal (Hueneme, Channel Islands, Ventura) aboard a handful of boats because I enforced the shop and boat rules (no solo diving in those days off any boat unless it was your own). If you didn't have a buddy, we found you one. If we couldn't find you one, I had to dive with you. Met some good buddies that way. I tried to educate, but when some ******* took short abs with the foot torn up so badly it could not be replanted, public humiliation was in order.

I told stories about the Channel Islands because people paying that much for a boat wanted to know a little about the history and natural history of the place. You could always tune me out.

My briefings were thorough, per shop policy. Most of our folks were new divers and wanted the information and the reassurance. Most were pretty good people.

And them after back to back trips on the Spectre, it quit being fun so I gave it up. No regrets, it was time to go and I never set foot on board the boat again.

A DM who is working a class, is there to assist the instructor, spot trouble and head it off, if possible, and anticipate the needs of the class and instructor. If used properly, the DM is a teaching partner for the instructor. They should not be dive slave or scut laborer.

If they are DM'ing a boat, there are several varieties. On the touristy, guided dives, the DM is a big babysitter- checks over your gear, troubleshoots, leads your dives. He should NOT be and is not in charge of watching your air. That is the most basic part of being a diver and is the Diver's responsibility. If the DM chooses to do it, so be it, but it is a bad habit, IMO.

The other type of DM on a boat, does their true duties. The make sure the boat is prepped- has proper number of tanks, first aid kit, save a dive kit, O2, water. They make sure that all rental gear is on board. They check the diver list and make note of or organize buddy pairs. They give the boat briefings and site briefings. They set the maximum time for the dives. They tie up to the buoys, set out drift lines, and make sure the dive flag is up. They assist divers entering the water and help in any way possible. They help divers exiting the water after the dive, and count all divers to make sure all are there. They talk to the divers. They answer questions, give advice, and help those who need it.
However! That DOES NOT mean they should schlep, set up, or check your gear! That is your job as a diver. It is the dm's place to offer advice when they see you making an error. They should not have to powder and diaper you.

As professionals, a DM should be approached and treated as such by all divers and customers. Most will do anything to help you and make your dive safe and enjoyable. As divers, we should respect them and treat them as the professionals they are.

A DM who is working a class, is there to assist the instructor, spot trouble and head it off, if possible, and anticipate the needs of the class and instructor.

There is a very important additional role for the PADI divemaster, one which is stressed in the DM training: Sell the next class.

There is a very important additional role for the PADI divemaster, one which is stressed in the DM training: Sell the next class.

Yeah yeah yeah. That is not stressed nearly as much in other agencies. Everything in PADI is sell the next class. We teach that the big job is to be a role model.

Back
Top Bottom