Role of a Dive Master

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends. A lot of dive charter boats require them for insurance or marketing purposes, in addition to providing crew services. The good ones not only advise you of the best spots, what to look for, easiest entry and exit strategies, and provide limited assistance when needed; but are genuinely nice people you enjoy talking to. The worst ones have an over-inflated sense of self and get in the way a lot. Mediocrity defines the middle-ground.

Oh, and make mine a single-malt Scotch, wouldja?

Leejnd, we can dive together ANYTIME ( I prefer auchentoshan 3 wood, triple distilled, neat )

I didn't read all of the responses left here so maybe this has already been said. I would kill to have a diver like you to dive with all of the time. I am fairly new to the sport and have days that I don't feel all that confident. Usually its just nerves, but to know that there was someone there that would notice something like that and keep a watchful eye out would make a huge difference. You are a huge asset to the diving community. You would be a great DM!

Tim, I agree with most of your post, but I think you are missing something about the typical discussion along these lines. First, I agree we all make mistakes and we should all help out our fellow divers when we see those mistakes. What you are missing is that sometimes certified divers are so incompetent they are a danger to themselves and their buddies. DMs sometimes hold their hands, doing everything for them, allowing them to dive without increasing their competency level. The "diver" remains dangerous at any depth. That is the situation that some, myself included, would like to see change.

A DM is in charge of the dive. He is responsible for the safety of the dive. That does not lessen the responsibility of individual divers for themselves or their buddies.

DMs do assist with classes and often that is their primary role, but it shouldn't be. That role belongs to assistant instructors (AI) not DMs. DMs are used because AIs are so rare. A DM is in charge of a group. An AI helps instructors with classes.

Walter, wouldn't that depend on the certifying agency?

For example the progression in PADI is DM. AI then instructor.
In NAUI the progression in AI, DM then instructor.

The dive master did not exist (or was not common) in the 1970's when I started diving. The captain was often not a diver. If there was somebody on the boat thar needed gear help, tables help, or some idea of a plan, another diver had to assist.

I helped people. Waiting in the sun in a thick suit on a North Carolina Summer afternoon was no fun, and we all should be ready to dive when the boat stopped. Divers helping divers has always been important, if you consider this a sport. The average age of divers was younger then, and training was probably more complete. Maybe dive master help was not much needed, as divers were generally more able.

Today, it is great to see a trained helper for those who need it. Somebody who can tell folks how that rent-a-computer works, or how to roll off the side of a boat. Sure, some of these dive masters try to show authority. But, it is of little harm. I dive with a retired Navy Chief, and to see a young fellow bark orders at him is rather comical. I kid him: "Ever been on a boat before, Greg?"

Anyhow, I appreciate dive masters who can fill us in on local reefs, sharks, the island, and island and shipwreck history. I don't need help with the "mechanics" of diving, but I still dive to learn.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
ronbeau:
Walter, wouldn't that depend on the certifying agency?

I said several things. Which one do you think is agency dependent?

ronbeau:
For example the progression in PADI is DM. AI then instructor.
In NAUI the progression in AI, DM then instructor.

That's true. In SEI it is also DM to AI to Instructor. In the old YMCA progression, DM was not in line to instructor, but was separate. The job of a DM has nothing to do with teaching.

Back
Top Bottom