Rodales December Issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jonathan

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I haven't seen any comments on this but has anyone read their article on deco diving?

Personally I thought they were trying to be so hard to be impartial the only thing I could agree with was get training. I don't even remember it mentioning trimix....

Anyway look forward to any comments/opinions when I get back - shorty packed, shorts packed, sun glasses packed and time for some serious R&R.

Merry Christmas one and all
Jonathan

The have given up the quest to sell solo diving and are now out to sell "deco diving". There just isn't a limit to what those folks won't do to sell that rag. Next they will sell "solo deco diving".

I used to read that rag so that I would be prepared to dispute their bs. I don't bother anymore. I won't even have that rag in my shop.

We have 80% or more of the divers out there almost walking on the bottom, instructors don't teach trim and have no idea how to acheive it, classes are shorter than ever (and getting shorter) and these idiots are going to go out and put the "deco diving"idea in the heads of these non-divers.

I have had divers who wanted to learn "deco diving"contact me. From the beginning they can't understand why I quote so much time for the class. Then I must explain that we usually must start from the beginning almost.

IMO, recreational training is not preparing divers to even begin tech training. First a diver must remediate and relearn then they can start.

Mike,

You are supposed to swim and not walk on the bottom :D In the NE - I always saw people crawl along the bottom. I like swimming better

Eric

ericfine50 once bubbled...
Mike,

You are supposed to swim and not walk on the bottom :D In the NE - I always saw people crawl along the bottom. I like swimming better

Eric
You don't have to convince me! My point was it may be a bad idea to encourage a bunch of bottom walkers to take up staged decompression diving.

Before Rodales promotes tech diving they should promote better recreational dive training.

IMO, of course.

CheeseWhiz once bubbled...
You sound as if your head is almost screwed on right...where is your shop? If you're close enough, I might drop in sometime.

CheeseWhiz,

We're in Lafayette. Hey you must know my pal greg up there at Heart City.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

You don't have to convince me! My point was it may be a bad idea to encourage a bunch of bottom walkers to take up staged decompression diving.

Before Rodales promotes tech diving they should promote better recreational dive training.

IMO, of course.

How do you really feel about it? :)

Jarhead

What's a shame, IMO, is that when you first start out in diving, you walk into a dive shop, you see one of these rags, you pick it up and read it, and you think, that's what there is to scuba diving. How is the the average person, who knows NOTHING about diving except that they would like to try it, supposed to learn that there is a real difference between the "standard" level of OW training provided by most dive shops, and the exceptional level of training you get from a guy like Mike? I have no idea how to sell more rigorous training, when the competition is pitching how quickly, easily and cheaply they will get you certified. Not to mention that you will stay certified for the rest of your natural life, not matter how many years between dives.

I think GUE is doing a good job of letting divers know that there is a better way. Even if one chooses not to be "100% dIR" The message is there. Good skills are good skills even without a long hose. And one can see why some get a little snooty. I think many including myself feel cheated when they finaly see what it should look like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom