Rocky Mountain Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

colo_diver:
make it 6......... if you count the western slope

Definitely! I am thinking of the whole Rocky Mountain region. The Western Slope absolutely qualifies, especially since you have started making very good wine in great quantities.

With the people who have posted here and a PM I just received, we have 9 intersted people. It would be a real surprise if this club thing does not go.

The PM suggested RockyMtnOysters as a name. Any other ideas?

There were a few good suggestions in the “moving back to Colorado” thread, but to my mind, none tops RockyMtnOysters. luvit !

Hey, I see you are close to getting enough people for a new dive club. Excellent. :D

Go for it!! :thumb:

boulderjohn:
The PM suggested RockyMtnOysters as a name. Any other ideas?

:icon10: Do we really want to be known as the "bull testicles"?

Surely we can come up with something better!?

"Rocky Mountain Mud Bugs" maybe?

Divedoggie:
I think all of us snowbound, landlocked, mountain folks, are jonesing for some diving. I just went to the pool and blew bubbles for no reason other than to have the gear on!
Count me in! :dazzler1:

I went to A1, had a holiday coupon, and jumped in their pool for a bit over an hour.

My dive profile was rather bleak with a maximum depth of 11 feet!!

I'm going to do AOW at the hole if they ever schedule the darn class!! I guess since Crater is a reservation only type place, and they may need a minimum number of divers, they are trying to get those slots filled. But I'm not interested in diving a barron small hot tub, and would rather do the hole.

If people are interested in doing a weekend in NM, I'm up for it. It's definately a bit of a pain, but other than jump a plane there are few options....

Ron

I PM'd you eariler today, and sure I'm in for anything RockyMtn you want in a club, or participation.

I certified in early Nov, so don't have anything to contribute about local diving conditions first hand. I have heard the Jefferson Lake (high altitude) is good, so we shall see in the summer. I'd imagine I'll do Aurora Reservoir as there is a plane down there at I think 30 feet.

I have a friend at work that is scheduled to certify in Coz in April. He's on the board (mostly lurking) and I'm sure he would be up for joining the *club*. I'll have him respond as I'm not even sure of his username.

At least we can go put in turns in some world class snow!! But the conditions up there are rather slushy right now :06:

Ron

boulderjohn:
I am starting a new thread that may lead to a Rocky Mountain club or just a repository of information about dive locations, etc.

First of all, if you are interested in local diving anywhere in America, you can always go to Dive Training Magazine's map of local dive spots: http://www.dtmag.com/dive-usa/divingusa.html. It has little dive flags to identify locations, and when you click on them, you get a description of that site. Unfortunately, you will find no site descriptions behind the flags in Colorado, confirming the prevailing idea that Homestead Crater in Utah and the Blue Hole in New Mexico are the closest places people actually want to dive. (Both have fine writeups at the DT site.)

I am thinking of two things here.

1. We can start a Rocky Mountain club here if we have ten people say they are interested.

2. If not, we can help each other out by writing reviews in this thread of other locations. I am familiar with Carter Lake, and I will write a review later on as a part of this thread. I hope that people with first hand knowledge of Chatfield Reservoir, Aurora Reservoir, Horsetooth Reservoir, and other sites will do the same. I am hoping for more than a name--something with enough objective information so people can make an informed decision about trying it out.

Hey gang,

John PMed me and I haven't responded yet. So this will be my official request to add me and my daughter to the mix. We dive out of Albuquerque and Blue Hole is the local spot for us. However, there is also Perch Lake and on private property, Rock Lake. Which is a very interesting dive. It is approximately 350' deep with opportunities for Tech training (goes on off and on).

I had thought about diving Ute lake, Lake Mead and others. Just haven't got to it yet.

Count me in!!

Oh, and BTW. We are setting up a DIRF course for March 18, 19 and 20 as well if anyone is interested. See DIR/Classes section of the board for more info.

boulderjohn:
Definitely! I am thinking of the whole Rocky Mountain region. The Western Slope absolutely qualifies, especially since you have started making very good wine in great quantities.

and so much more..... the wine fest in Palaisade and the festive town of Telluride where something is happening every weekend......... heck I think a new winery just opened in Olathe......never thought I would see that

Count me in. That should put us over 10. I'll be completing my OW in Feb and can't wait to do the 30ft wreck dive at Aurora Res. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom