Rocky Mountain Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey all,

Just got the message Wijbrandus left me about 11 days ago. Thanks for the heads-up. I have grill I could bring. Do we need anything else and is this thing still on? It's been a while since I have dove and I'm READY! Here's looking forward to meeting all of you.

boulderjohn:
Other than the cold, poor visibility, mud, and extremely antagonistic and diver-averse attitude of the employees, it is an excellent place to dive and I can't wait to be sent there for my next class. :wink:

:soapbox: I know what you mean about this. Last summer just after open water certification several of us went to Carter Lake for two days of diving with our instructor for a rec dive. Because our instructor used his instructor's card they almost didn't let us dive. I almost wish they hadn't, I left a fin in the muck one day (looked for about two hours and couldn't find it). The second day I had a new pair of fins and it really went much better.
Be careful if you go to Carter Lake, don't learn anything new or you have to pay for instruction time there.
:soapbox:

I prefer warm water and salt water for my diving anyway but I will keep looking to see if there is some more interesting local diving.

Mike

Ha! Someone liked my earliest posts in this 15 year old thread, which brought it to my Alerts list. What a trip down memory lane! This was the thread that started the forum for the Rocky Mountain region on ScubaBoard. I am posting it in case anyone is interested in what the old days were like in the region. When I participated in this thread, it was about when I first became a DM.

Here is a list off some historical updates people might like.
  1. Ron Frank was very active, and he was a member of the staff, which gave him the power to edit posts. With that power, he maintained a list of members of the group for quite some time, and he organized ScubaBoard outings at places like Aurora Reservoir. When he left, I was then on staff and took over the list maintenance for a while.
  2. One of my early posts in this thread was a review of Carter Lake, written shortly after a very, very unpleasant experience acting as a DM there. The rangers did their level best to screw us and our students, seemingly for no other reason than an evil desire to screw us. That is the reason for the negative description of the place and the sarcastic dig at the rangers. Feeling a little impish, I submitted that review of Carter Lake to Dive Training magazine for their section on local diving sites. They took out the worst part of the dig on the rangers, but they printed the rest of it. I have not looked at it in years, but the last I checked, it was still their official description of Carter Lake as a dive site.
  3. Knotical became a staff member for a while before retiring from that role and ScubaBoard altogether.
  4. I am very nearly the only person who participated in this discussion who is still active.
  5. For many years, threads would appear regularly organizing trips to the Blue Hole or to other local dive sites. That pretty much never happens any more.
  6. I now do almost all my local diving at Rock lake, which barely got a mention in this thread. The description in this thread says it is 350 feet deep. It is not. The deepest any of us have found is 280 feet, and that was accomplished by sticking an arm with a computer down deep into the silt.

Ha! Someone liked my earliest posts in this 15 year old thread, which brought it to my Alerts list. What a trip down memory lane! This was the thread that started the forum for the Rocky Mountain region on ScubaBoard. I am posting it in case anyone is interested in what the old days were like in the region. When I participated in this thread, it was about when I first became a DM.
Hi John! Well, since I was the first to reply to your thread 15 years ago, I suppose I’ll be the first one 15 years later! Those were fun days! It’s been quite a journey since then. Diving has been interesting this year. Ironically, we have had numerous good days at Carter Lake this summer. Rangers have been great. Water levels are shrinking and vis has diminished from 20’ to about 1’. So, I recently journeyed up to Lake Superior for some historical wreck diving. Outstanding. We’ll need to get together soon and catch up!
~Kent

That’s strange, my post was included in your quote. I’ll copy it below:

Hi John! Well, since I was the first to reply to your thread 15 years ago, I suppose I’ll be the first one 15 years later! Those were fun days! It’s been quite a journey since then. Diving has been interesting this year. Ironically, we have had numerous good days at Carter Lake this summer. Rangers have been great. Water levels are shrinking and vis has diminished from 20’ to about 1’. So, I recently journeyed up to Lake Superior for some historical wreck diving. Outstanding. We’ll need to get together soon and catch up!
~Kent

That’s strange, my post was included in your quote. I’ll copy it below:
Back when I was on staff and could edit other people's posts, I fixed things like this regularly.What usually happens is a missing bracket ( ] ) at the end of the quoted part.

Back
Top Bottom