Rocky Gap State Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anything to see at 70'? What about visibility?

It depends on the weather. Usually it's kind of cloudy (3ft - 6ft) till you hit the thermocline which is around 20ft. After that it usually goes up to 10ft - 15ft. I have been there after a few days of rain, and it never gets any better than 5ft.

There is not really much to see anywhere here. Just a skills and drills sort of place. It's close, free, and you can get wet and practice.

I did rocky gap back in October of last year. Water was not to bad. Viz was not bad as long as you stay off the bottom. However the reason I was there was training so pack on the weight get to the bottom and start crawling along the jack stay. The sea grass was crazy high like 5-10ft high. I did happen to come across part of that nature trail. It runs off the hotel, and toward the swim beach. I enjoyed the dive for what it was. Not much to see or find just a easy place to train. We also dove at Deep Creek. That was a fun dive. Found all kinds of stuff from old coke bottles to boat parts. After a few days of that we dove a real big swiming hole up on the potomac river. Its was over a half mile walk in and took two trips but it was clear and refreshing. Very cool.

We also dove at Deep Creek. That was a fun dive. Found all kinds of stuff from old coke bottles to boat parts.

What part of deep creek did you dive in?

Was is a shore dive?

I would love to know where the potomac river hole is. How deep was the swimming hole?

A local site, if you want info give me a call!!

I have done a shore dive from the public beach in the park and from the boat ramp area of the state park at Deep Creek. Both were in the winter. Im thinking of doing a shore dive near the public swimming area in July. Alot of boat traffic that could pose an issue.

We dove there yesterday, water temps at 50' were 50. vis around 10'. Had a good day with a group of friends, my 1st dive since Corrine died. It was hard, but friends were great!!

Back
Top Bottom