Rockport…it begins again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe First Nations people have a pending claim on all of Massachusetts so that should sort this out.... ;-)

So MA may have to seceded from the USA! :yeahbaby::clapping:

“We don’t want to own the beach so we can exclude people,” said Rauseo, 80. “We just want a better situation as far as the town respecting us, rather than harassing us.”

Basically, it's about "respect" and control of public land... Not about freedom or rightful access to the ocean.

“We don’t want to own the beach so we can exclude people,” said Rauseo, 80. “We just want a better situation as far as the town respecting us, rather than harassing us.”

Basically, it's about "respect" and control of public land... Not about freedom or rightful access to the ocean.
I really don't understand how she claims the town is harassing them.

I really don't understand how she claims the town is harassing them.

Letting the riff raff onto their beach of course.

You guys need a coastal commission like we have here. They’ve done a good job at mandating that privatized coastal land remains open to the public via access points and parking.
The other thing that the coastal commission does is fights coastal development tooth and nail which the rich people and developers can’t stand.
I feel for you guys, it’s not fair.

You guys need a coastal commission like we have here. They’ve done a good job at mandating that privatized coastal land remains open to the public via access points and parking.
The other thing that the coastal commission does is fights coastal development tooth and nail which the rich people and developers can’t stand.

What they need is a state constitution like RI has that protects the right to access to all the waterways in the state. We have very few lakes without public access. The shoreline below the high water mark is everyone's right of way.

Section 17. Fishery rights — Shore privileges — Preservation of natural resources.
The people shall continue to enjoy and freely exercise all the rights of fishery, and the privileges of the shore, to which they have been heretofore entitled under the charter and usages of this state, including but not limited to fishing from the shore, the gathering of seaweed, leaving the shore to swim in the sea and passage along the shore; and they shall be secure in their rights to the use and enjoyment of the natural resources of the state with due regard for the preservation of their values; and it shall be the duty of the general assembly to provide for the conservation of the air, land, water, plant, animal, mineral and other natural resources of the state, and to adopt all means necessary and proper by law to protect the natural environment of the people of the state by providing adequate resource planning for the control and regulation of the use of the natural resources of the state and for the preservation, regeneration and restoration of the natural environment of the state.

They need this one even more:
Section 22. Right to bear arms.
The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

I generally like the coastal commission here in CA but at least down here in San Diego they are a pain in the ass about getting/allowing public stairs/beach accessways to be maintained. When one finally gets shut down they get all butt hurt that people are climbing down the bluffs and cliffs. No **** Sherlock, you took away the least environmentally damaging way of accessing the area, what did you expect? So while I think they are a net positive, they are a bit over zealous in some regards.

In MA they would ignore it like they do the US one.

That's because massholes let them! In RI we gather at the state house and let them know a lot of us don't like what they're trying to do.

Back
Top Bottom