RockJock's Homemade Housing and Shark Cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

onfloat:
Right now I'm using ULead Video Studio 10. It's pretty straight forward to use and simple.

Cool, I'll check that out. What kind of filter do you use? I am shooting with a JVC DVR cam and it came out great on the Baby barge, but yesterday at E-beach it was way off on the white balance. I have it set to automatic, but it just washed almost everything out being at a shallower depth.

Jay

Jay, I have a majic filter I have never used. You can borrow it. It's just vinyl or something...

rockjock3:
Cool, I'll check that out. What kind of filter do you use? I am shooting with a JVC DVR cam and it came out great on the Baby barge, but yesterday at E-beach it was way off on the white balance. I have it set to automatic, but it just washed almost everything out being at a shallower depth.

Jay
I'm not using a filter. I have had some times when I wished I was, but what usually ends up happening is that I use it when I'm to shallow and end up with a pink tint to my video. I'm using an old Sony TRV-103 that shoots on Digital 8. Some of my video is crap and others turn out all right.

rockjock3:
I know, I know, but I said I was new to this whole editing thing. I'll check that one out though. Thanks.
Barefoot Man has a note on most of his CDs including “The Best of Scuba Do” specifically licensing his songs to be used on any underwater video that is not used for commercial purposes. It’s his gift to amateur scuba diving videos.

http://www.barefootman.com/for-foot.html

I tried various theatrical lighting gels before getting my UR Pro filter and found if they did the right color correction they also cut down the available light too much. I have my filter in a removable ring over my port so I can easily take it off in shallow water and pop it on as I go deeper.

Bill51:
Barefoot Man has a note on most of his CDs including “The Best of Scuba Do” specifically licensing his songs to be used on any underwater video that is not used for commercial purposes. It’s his gift to amateur scuba diving videos.

http://www.barefootman.com/for-foot.html

I tried various theatrical lighting gels before getting my UR Pro filter and found if they did the right color correction they also cut down the available light too much. I have my filter in a removable ring over my port so I can easily take it off in shallow water and pop it on as I go deeper.

Cool on the music. Also, as far as the gels go. That was the way I was going to try to go, but it seems you have already done the work.

Is there any way to post some pics of how you actually attach the filter so I have something to go on?

rockjock3:
Cool on the music. Also, as far as the gels go. That was the way I was going to try to go, but it seems you have already done the work.

Is there any way to post some pics of how you actually attach the filter so I have something to go on?
Since I was lazy and didn’t build my housing, here’s a picture from my housing company showing the soft rubber ring that the filter fits in and slips over the lens nose of the housing. One thing I did learn about using an external filter is that for some reason the material used tends to hold bubbles to it’s surface. Since I was shooting a lot of shark feeding video where I was above the divers it screwed up many of my shots where you could see the bubbles attached to the filter or port until I started treating them with RainX and now I can push the camera through bubbles and keep shooting (with out having to wipe them off the filter or port). I have a line attached to the filter ring so I don’t lose it and I put a commando band under the handle so I can slide the filter ring under it when I don’t want it dangling.

hsgfilter.jpg

catherine96821:
Jay, I have a majic filter I have never used. You can borrow it. It's just vinyl or something...

Thanks, I'll have to try that next time we go out.

Bill51:
Since I was lazy and didn’t build my housing, here’s a picture from my housing company showing the soft rubber ring that the filter fits in and slips over the lens nose of the housing. One thing I did learn about using an external filter is that for some reason the material used tends to hold bubbles to it’s surface. Since I was shooting a lot of shark feeding video where I was above the divers it screwed up many of my shots where you could see the bubbles attached to the filter or port until I started treating them with RainX and now I can push the camera through bubbles and keep shooting (with out having to wipe them off the filter or port). I have a line attached to the filter ring so I don’t lose it and I put a commando band under the handle so I can slide the filter ring under it when I don’t want it dangling.

hsgfilter.jpg

Cool, I thought you had a self-modified ring that you attached it to. I think I can do something like that though. I'll just have to get me a filter and then look at the case and filter together to see what I come up with. I like the idea of being able to remove and replace it while underwater. The rain-x idea is good to. I'll do that to my lenses of the housing. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom