RockJock's Homemade Housing and Shark Cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Flat like glass on the ocean...rare to we see days like this!

Rockjock is like a gleeful puppy all day with his new bone, a housing he made for around 150 bucks. This guy can make stuff! It worked great and he and Ed got footage inside the shark cave on the camera's maiden dive! Three sharks...

I am sure he will post some footage. I told him any footage where my butt looks big is strictly forbidden if he wants to be a steady crew on our boat.

Speaking of crew...just want to say these two are wonderful. Ed did a great job freediving (and searching!) for the bouy. Jay has a hand held GPS used on his kayak dives (inside a plastic "dash board") and he helps JB with the coordinate count down as we try and drop the diver as it zeros out. It can be a little tricky as the boat slows for the tracking to be precise. Great on the boat, both...thanks you guys!

I actually get to relax a bit when they come along.

We did decide to all go on the last dive and leave the boat unattended. It seemed reasonable as the ocean was flat and we expected no current.

My better judgement does kick in occasionally. (Or was it Walter's words echoing in my mind?..YES, it is usually Walter, not my conscious, I have decided)

So, we start down the line and I have Christmas decoration for the Corsair, camera, and I notice the current is picking up (see bubble drift to the horizontal). We had gone from slack to moderate in just the time it took to tie off and enter the water.

Checking the lines on the mooring as we start the descent, I realize this is not the best plan as there is too much tension on the lines and, frankly, they look rotten.(see pics)

So...I turned around, feeling stupid, but just not wanting to be adrift 3 miles out. So easy to get behind the boat in a current that is picking up...I have had many dives where the captain came and got us.

Rockjock plans to build a housing for the EPIRB....

collage3-4.jpg

shark cave: (they were asking for Tom...)

DSC_0044-1.jpg

Ed and JB:

DSC_0066-2.jpg

what I would call "moderate" current, but picking up :

DSC_0054-3.jpg

just did not inspire my confidence..... (tension from current, rotten line)

DSC_0057.jpg

Back roll into the blue....cool pattern:

DSC_0038.jpg

Ornament from my sister: he reminds me of Moonie

DSC_0069-5.jpg

Thanks for the kudos. The video came out great. The Corsair not so great though. Manual setting (with no focus controls) just didn't work out. You can make everything out, but it is all just at the edge of being in focus.

The vid from the baby barge and sharks cave was awesome. There is some brightness issues, but only when shifting quickly from shadow to light. Just something I will get better with with practice. I will try to post some of the video clips from the footage to utube or something in a few days. I'll also get you a DVD Catherine. Thanks again for a great day of diving.

so...I was feeling really weak about not taking on the current...Then I realize ya'll are 10-20 years younger, MEN and in the Military! I had to lick my wounds.

I might go back to SP jetfins. Ed dropped straight down (got out of the stiff current) but I was afraid to get blown off the line and not able to get back to the boat. When I swam face to face with that ratty tatty line, I could hear Walter nagging me not to be stupid.

not sure why he isn't holding his mask though. Unless he was and is now starting to turn and swim... yea...I thought the water pattern was cool.

ThatsSomeBadHatHarry:
that is a really cool housing. rockjock, how much did it cost for materials?

You think the housing is cool you should see the video! He definitely has to get the footage of the shark cave posted soon.

JB and Catherine, thanks for the ride out to both those buoys :). I will be your “Buoy B****” anytime, lets just try to get CLOSER next time!! Had a great day, looking forward to the next time.

Thanks again,
Ed

ThatsSomeBadHatHarry:
that is a really cool housing. rockjock, how much did it cost for materials?

Thanks. It cost about $170 to make. About $60-70 of that was shipping and handling for some of the parts that I had to order. On the mainland it would be cheaper. I could also decrease the cost some if I took a little more time to try and find some of the part locally.

We ran it down to 106 fsw and it worked perfectly.

oh come ON...what is taking so long with the shark video?

catherine96821:
oh come ON...what is taking so long with the shark video?

I am having troubles with my editing software. I removed it all from the computer and am going to try another run at it tonight. I hope to get some video out there by this weekend. I can burn to DVD, but the software that I use to break the file out so I can edit it is what is giving me problems.

I also have added the second control arm to it now so I can seal up the camera at home and turn it on and off without having to open the housing. We are going to test it again this weekend at E-Beach.

Jay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom