Rocket Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I write this, a youngster in looked like an army backpack just jogged by the window. Looks like he's practicing for one of the military tests.

I own a lot of fins, upwards of 10 pairs. I am a big believer in practicing with the equipment you are going to train with in the situation. The guys I see trying to get into pararescue training up here all use jetfins or rocket fins. That said, I am not sure there is that great of a physiological difference between those fins and the Apeks you have, as they are of a similar design but different materials if memory serves. Except for the holes in the blade and footpocket, they look very much like US Diver Rocket Fins, not surprising since USD owned Apexs. Good luck with your training, there is a kid your age who I have seen swimming three nights a week for the last year to get ready for his. I heard that his tendency to break into the sidestroke during warmups was driving the swim team coach nuts.

One source of rocket and jet fins that I recommend to the pj practicers is to check the local second hand sports stores like Play it Again sports. I sometimes see serviceable jets or rockets in there at $25.
What is that kid training for? I kinda suck at freestyle so I just swim side stroke/combat side stroke for a hour when I'm at the pool

I've been using US Divers Super Rocket fins (larger blade and foot pocket than standard) for +35 years. They are my go to fins in the vast majority of my diving. I have replaced the rubber straps with spring straps and I highly recommend that modification, especially if you do cold water diving with thick boots on your drysuit. I regularly dive twin 72s, which are big n' heavy, so the additional thrust of the Super Rockets is really put to good use. Plus they'll give you rock hard killer calves from regular use.

Using them in the pool while swimming the military side stroke is pretty awesome too, with a bit of effort you can nearly plane your body, well I did say nearly.

What is that kid training for? I kinda suck at freestyle so I just swim side stroke/combat side stroke for a hour when I'm at the pool
He does the combat sidestroke. He is trying for the Seals, but as I recall, the entry requirement for all dive related MOS are very similar (EOD/Seals/AF pararescue/combat swimmer).

He does the combat sidestroke. He is trying for the Seals, but as I recall, the entry requirement for all dive related MOS are very similar (EOD/Seals/AF pararescue/combat swimmer).
:( Navy divers are SOF, ND or any special ops does a lot of swimming.

Back
Top Bottom