Rocket Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ffdfd

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello folks,

I'm training to be a navy diver when I turn 17(6 months away). So I bought some Apeks RK3 fins to use in the pool and on my OW dives. I was told that the military and special ops guys use these rocket fins. Has anyone else here used these rocket fins or tried them before? I really like them and they get me where I need to go faster then jet fins

They're ok - not great for a longest distance timed swim. Built to last, not fragile - I use mine often as they're a little more manageable that giant jet fins
I bought them to practice long distance ocean swims for the navy. What fins would you recommended for that?

I bought them to practice long distance ocean swims for the navy. What fins would you recommended for that?

What are your actual requirements? Swimmers practice in zoomers: that's heavy stiff (at least on the gold ones) blade about an inch long. To max out propulsion you'd go for freediving fins, or at least something size/stiffness of cressi ara hb. There's a whole lot of options in between.

are they fast at all? mine are coming in today

Fast is a relative term. Given their small blade surface and short length you can't generate super speeds say as compared to the much longer Avanti Quattros. I wouldn't want to be using them in a ripping current or if the dive required covering long distances. But for "normal" dives, confined spaces or travel diving where strong currents are not the norm I think they're great. Horses for courses and all that.

Fast is a relative term. Given their small blade surface and short length you can't generate super speeds say as compared to the much longer Avanti Quattros. I wouldn't want to be using them in a ripping current or if the dive required covering long distances. But for "normal" dives, confined spaces or travel diving where strong currents are not the norm I think they're great. Horses for courses and all that.

They where supper fast in the pool today, want to use them when I go AOW/nitrox and later on tech diving. I swam about 400m and they are good fins

As I write this, a youngster in looked like an army backpack just jogged by the window. Looks like he's practicing for one of the military tests.

I own a lot of fins, upwards of 10 pairs. I am a big believer in practicing with the equipment you are going to train with in the situation. The guys I see trying to get into pararescue training up here all use jetfins or rocket fins. That said, I am not sure there is that great of a physiological difference between those fins and the Apeks you have, as they are of a similar design but different materials if memory serves. Except for the holes in the blade and footpocket, they look very much like US Diver Rocket Fins, not surprising since USD owned Apexs. Good luck with your training, there is a kid your age who I have seen swimming three nights a week for the last year to get ready for his. I heard that his tendency to break into the sidestroke during warmups was driving the swim team coach nuts.

One source of rocket and jet fins that I recommend to the pj practicers is to check the local second hand sports stores like Play it Again sports. I sometimes see serviceable jets or rockets in there at $25.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom