Rock Boots to fill foot pocket's side for Jet Fins XL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

goldenwar

Registered
Reaction score
hi,

i recently bought Jetfins XL(made in taiwan)

i'm currently wearing size 8 deep sea 5mm boots. these boots some soles but not that much soles.

fins fit fine but i have some spaces in sides. my LDS recommended XL and it fit fine on ground but underwater it was a bit loose on the side.

should i switch to L or
buy 7mm boots with thicker soles to fill up that space on side?
i wear 7mm wetsuits.

thanks.

Last edited:
Only you and your feet can answer that question. You could also try wearing 3 mm socks inside your 5mm boots. Also some styles of bout have a sole that is wider or kind of wraps around. If you can try the L in the pool go for it. My experience is Jet fins break in a bit after 3-4 hours swimming.

Only you and your feet can answer that question. You could also try wearing 3 mm socks inside your 5mm boots. Also some styles of bout have a sole that is wider or kind of wraps around. If you can try the L in the pool go for it. My experience is Jet fins break in a bit after 3-4 hours swimming.

thanks. i believe my LDS recommended XL because of length difference between L and XL. seems like there was major difference so i think im going to try fourth element pelagic boots with XL and see if that works.

XL sounds HUGE for someone with a size 8 boot.

Jet fins are very negative buoyancy. Do you want/need that?

If you are diving in a wetsuit, well, it seems like most people diving in a wetsuit do not need all that negative buoyancy on their feet.

Also, the biggest criticism of Jet fins is that the foot pocket is not really shaped like a foot. I mean, just look at it. It's rectangular. Have you ever seen a foot, or a dive boot, that is rectangular in cross section?

Deep6 Eddy fins have a very nice, very foot-shaped pocket.

Holls F1 and F1 LT fins also have a very nice, very foot-shaped pocket.

The Deep6 fins are nearly neutral. The F1 LT are about 1# negative. The F1 (non-LT) are about 2# negative.

I would at LEAST be returning the XL fins for something smaller that fits a size 8 better. With an open heel fin, any length of foot (within reason) will fit. It's the width (and the height, too) that is what really makes the big difference in how it fits. If it's way too wide, then the fin is way too big. And, it's possible that the shape of the fin's pocket is just wrong for you and there will be no size that really fits you well. It could be the right width but too tall. Or vice versa.

Stuart makes a good point about choice of fins. On the other hand I find that a 5 mm boot is not warm enough for Southern California waters, so a thicker boot also makes sense, unless of course the 5mm boot is warm enough for you.

you may want to exchange for the xs scuba turtle in XL. the new version has the foot pocket of a large jetfin but the blade of a XL jetfin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom