Robert Von Maier's book - Solo Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheWetRookie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have just finished reading Robert Von Maier's book - Solo Diving, The art of self-sufficiency and I was wondering if anyone else has read it and what your thoughts on it were.

I found it to be quite benificial for myself.

I would also like to say that in reading the solo forums this past day that I have also read some excellent material, well present, balanced and informative. (stating the obvious, this is my first time in the solo forums) There are a few here that could write their own books on solo diving.

TheWetRookie:
I have just finished reading Robert Von Maier's book - Solo Diving, The art of self-sufficiency and I was wondering if anyone else has read it and what your thoughts on it were.

Some reviews on Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Solo-Diving-Robert-Von-Maier/dp/0922769133

It's hard to take a simple topic and make a book out of it... although scuba cert agencies do it all the time! :D

Dave C

Underwhelming is how I would describe the book.

The book does a good job of promoting a chain of thought proccesses for people who are not truly addicted yet and spend every waking moment hashing out scenarios, when our brains should be in the present.
Eric

Glad I got it at a discount. I found some of it to be outdated, too conservative, and am surprised it would be used as a text for a solo class. It also IMO does not address the mindset and attitude of many of us who dive solo. And almost half the book is opinions which I can do without. I would have rather seen more info on specific environments, techniques, and no spare airs!

JimLap:
Glad I got it at a discount. I found some of it to be outdated, too conservative, and am surprised it would be used as a text for a solo class. It also IMO does not address the mindset and attitude of many of us who dive solo. And almost half the book is opinions which I can do without. I would have rather seen more info on specific environments, techniques, and no spare airs!

Semi-hijack side rant:

I haven't seen the book, but your comments reinforce my bias that the scuba training industry promotes phony "standards" with many of their lower level "fluff" certifications.

Although solo diving requires only a few simple and important additions to basic diving equipment, knowledge and skills, it's disappointing that a training agency wouldn't create their own text.

It's sad, really.

It'll be sadder if dive ops get scared into requiring the "solo card" to allow one to dive solo. That's what the training industry is hoping for, I'm sure.

Luckily, our local charters in the NE still let the diver take responsibility for their own diving.

My rant is over. Thanks for listening.

Dave C

JimLap:

Even though I found the book benificial for myself I had similar thoughts myself. After reading Diver0001's post (and others) on solo diving, I think I should have just come here first and skipped the book and saved some money.

And I totaly agree with the spare air. How long do they last? oops empty already?

dave4868:
Semi-hijack side rant:

I haven't seen the book, but your comments reinforce my bias that the scuba training industry promotes phony "standards" with many of their lower level "fluff" certifications.

Although solo diving requires only a few simple and important additions to basic diving equipment, knowledge and skills, it's disappointing that a training agency wouldn't create their own text.

It's sad, really.

It'll be sadder if dive ops get scared into requiring the "solo card" to allow one to dive solo. That's what the training industry is hoping for, I'm sure.

Luckily, our local charters in the NE still let the diver take responsibility for their own diving.

My rant is over. Thanks for listening.

Dave C
Hi Dave
Lucid comments. I have heard that dive ops put themselves in a position of risk when they allow divers to go solo since that is beyond the scope of every agency's recommendations and this is common knowledge.

For me, the significance of a card-offerring course had nothing to do with any skills, it was that the dive ops were now in a position to let themselves off that liability hook since they are allowing the diver to dive up to their level of "training", shifting at least some of the risk to the certification agency....

I wonder what I'd put in a solo diving textbook if I were to write one...maybe I'll start a thread on that...

A waste of $$

Back
Top Bottom