Rob Davie's accident. (aka. BigJetDiver)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lamont, what happens to you when you are towing a heavy load and breathing from a regulator? I don't know about you guys but I have gotten my heart rate pretty high swimming against current, dragging a camera, trying to reach a line. Seems like a very likely scenario to me. One thing, leading to another.

And as far as raw nerves, yea, that is part of dealing with someone dying. better to move through it than stuff it.

lamont:
It doesn't seem like that's directly causal, though, because he was found on the surface and his bailout still had gas. Even if that contributed to the accident, it seems like he managed to get it under control. There's still something missing here.

they don't flood instantly so it would be more and more negative as the assent happened and at the surface. We are missing something, health related I suspect in which case we will never know exactly what happened. His well executed bail out and assent may be very much a function of his training, experience and discipline similar to this incident http://www.aero-news.net/news/genav.cfm?ContentBlockID=4CA760E8-83D9-42ED-BB3B-9AFCEEAEBFEC&Dynamic=1

You know, I had a wild thought driving home today and thinking about this. It occurred to me that I could think of a medical condition that would first make you short of breath (feel very much like a scrubber failure) and then cause a cardiac arrest, and furthermore, is something that someone who's just flown to the Red Sea would be at significant risk for -- a pulmonary embolus. I've seen a number of patients coming in with shortness of breath after a trans-oceanic flight and proving to have a PE. Big PEs can be lethal. This would essentially fit everything we know -- Rob would have felt short of breath and suspected the loop, switched to bailout (which wouldn't have helped very much) and initiated a rapid ascent because it was clear that something was very wrong. Even if he reached the surface and began swimming, another clot or shifting of the original one could cause cardiac arrest. Such a patient is generally not resuscitatable.

A WAG, but something that fits all the known facts.

pretty common too, huh?

wow, Lynne.

Reporter Arnette had a similiar event in Iraq....about the same age.

Sort of ironic to mention this, Rob told me in a PM when we were having the ASA discussion that he took it.

Do they usually result from deep vein thrombosis such as you are prone to get flying? Not like you see the pilots walking around much anymore....

TSandM:

certainly something to think long and hard about

H2Andy:
certainly something to think long and hard about

H2Andy: Does all this speculation really make any difference or serve any real purpose? He may have done this or maybe did that.

Facts are; a good man died doing something he loved. Lots of folks, obviously, loved him. Not a bad way to go.

mdb:
H2Andy: Does all this speculation really make any difference or serve any real purpose?

to me it does. it helps me come to terms with what might have happened to rob.

i think it's human nature to want to know how someone one cares for passed away.

(btw, i think it's a good question)

(I'm a little rusty on this, but... you would think that a lethal PE would have presented prior to his dive though; knowing Rob, you would think he would have scrubbed the dive with any of the symptoms of a PE, however diffuse they may be. It is, however, a very plausible argument, especially given the circumstances...

mdb:
H2Andy: Does all this speculation really make any difference or serve any real purpose? He may have done this or maybe did that.

Facts are; a good man died doing something he loved. Lots of folks, obviously, loved him. Not a bad way to go.

That's for the "in memoriam" thread. What this thread is for is talking about what might have happened. It's human nature, as H2Andy pointed out, to be curious about the cause of death. All of the speculation here has been appropriate and reasonable, IMO. Nobody is blaming Lee Harvey Oswald, backed by a coalition of space aliens, for Mr. Davie's passing. And from what I've been able to glean of his character from reading his posts on this board, he would have approved of this thread.

TSandM:
You know, I had a wild thought driving home today and thinking about this. It occurred to me that I could think of a medical condition that would first make you short of breath (feel very much like a scrubber failure) and then cause a cardiac arrest, and furthermore, is something that someone who's just flown to the Red Sea would be at significant risk for -- a pulmonary embolus. I've seen a number of patients coming in with shortness of breath after a trans-oceanic flight and proving to have a PE. Big PEs can be lethal. This would essentially fit everything we know -- Rob would have felt short of breath and suspected the loop, switched to bailout (which wouldn't have helped very much) and initiated a rapid ascent because it was clear that something was very wrong. Even if he reached the surface and began swimming, another clot or shifting of the original one could cause cardiac arrest. Such a patient is generally not resuscitatable.

Interesting theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom