Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jafo123

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Thinking of a trip to Roatan in Feb. What kind of experience a person needs to dive there? I'm a new diver with only 10 dives.

jafo123

Jafo123:
Thinking of a trip to Roatan in Feb. What kind of experience a person needs to dive there? I'm a new diver with only 10 dives.

jafo123

As your question is about diving in Roatan, I have taken the liberty of moving it to our dedicated Central & South America travel forum in the hopes it will receive wider response.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Jafo123:

jafo123
You have ten more dives than I had when I got cert. there. It depends on the weather.

Jafo123:

jafo123

I do not think that you will have any problems with the dives in Roatan. Most are conducted as an out and back and typically you have a DM with the group. You will go out at one depth and return much shallower to start your off gassing. There are a couple of the dives that are rather deep. You must use your own judgement about whethter or not you are comfortable with that or not. The "rules" of depth based on certification are routinely ignored there. Be sure to work on buoyancy skills and keep an eye on your depth as some of the places you dive are on walls that seem to have no bottom - it just disappears into deep blue. Best wishes and good diving, I am sure you will enjoy the trip.

Aeolus:
I do not think that you will have any problems with the dives in Roatan. Most are conducted as an out and back and typically you have a DM with the group. You will go out at one depth and return much shallower to start your off gassing. There are a couple of the dives that are rather deep. You must use your own judgement about whethter or not you are comfortable with that or not. The "rules" of depth based on certification are routinely ignored there. Be sure to work on buoyancy skills and keep an eye on your depth as some of the places you dive are on walls that seem to have no bottom - it just disappears into deep blue. Best wishes and good diving, I am sure you will enjoy the trip.

Excellent thoughts... aslo include: It all depends on with which dive op you go out with. Some have very up to date state of the art boats (AKR), some have unusual custom boats that are specificaly designed for the environment and dive profiles (CCV), some are superb semi-open fast boats (SubWay), and then it goes to lower level type boats (rental gear as well). Some have staff DM's that are well versed in dealing with guest problems, some hire guys with SCUBA gear to go diving.

It all depends upon who you select to take you out.

That said, what have you selected?

I went there last year with only 15 previous dives (in Belize) after a year layoff. I found the diving to be very easy, really clear, calm water, and no current (at least at the sites I went to. I dove out of West End and we dove the northwest part of the Island. We also did the shark dive with (I forget the name) off the south side of the island (highly recommend it, costs more but worth it), however more current and less vis, but still good vis. We went down a line and sat on the bottom, so current not an issue for that dive. Somebody here can tell you the name of the dive operator for the shark dive.

I think the south side has somewhat differnt diving conditions than the north side. Any here care so shed some light on that.

Back
Top Bottom