Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pegger

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm starting to plan for a family vacation in Feb 2014 and have heard a lot of good things about Roatan. Other than your typical all-inclusive, has anyone rented a private house or villa and hired a cook for a week? Just wanting to get some other ideas.
We are a family of sisters and brothers and their spouses that total about twelve. I'm the only diver in the group, all the rest are water nuts but it would be nice to be around the west end beach.
Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

Check out coralvistaroatan.com. lovely location just steps away from the true heart of West End village.

None of these - except Lalize are beachfront. Roatan 6-plus Bedrooms Vacation Rentals From VRBO - Vacation Rentals By Owner And it's only on a little break in the ironshore. I'd ask them about water access also, just because there's sand doesn't mean there isn't reef directly offshore - some of the resorts in that area are similar.

Except for Half Moon Bay Beach (West End) and West Bay Beach - a lot of the coast is ironshore. I don't think there's any big houses on West Bay Beach either - mostly resorts or smaller properties. The only larger property near the West End is the 4BR condos listed - they're oceanfront but not beachfront. Half Moon Bay Beach starts about 50? feet away though. And it's a short walk to the heart of the West End.

Properties in West Bay that are listed as Ocean View - usually that means about 5mins. downhill to the water. It's usually evident in the pictures or description.

Gibson Bight, Sandy Bay, Lawson Rock and Palmetto Bay are farther east of the West End along the north side. There's some nice beaches in that area also.

I rented a smaller house thru these people a few years ago. http://www.roatanpropertymanagement.com/properties.htm
I don't know if they'd have anything as big as you need but they respond to e-mails quickly.

Good operation, they even arranged for airport van pickup etc. Nobody drives on Roatan - it's a very bad idea - esp. if you have an accident.

The other thing you may want to consider is that the north shore sometimes is undiveable in winter. The bigger diveops have the means to move boats/shuttle you to the south side. The smaller ones don't. IDK if that still applies in Feb.

If Doc sees this he'll have a better idea than I do. I'm a summer visitor.

Last edited:
One out of 12 is a diver... You must be paying the bill :wink:

Roatan is not an island that anyone would have recommended if you had posed your question without specifying a particular island. It is not known for other diversions than diving. At its current state of development, and if you see how little there really is to do other than some of the best of what's left in Caribbean diving... The whole portrayal of land activities is silly and a bit contrived. Gilding the Lilly at best.

Good advice about the weather issues, but remember that 89% of your fellow group's travelers will have no outstanding reason to be any wetter than they have to be.

West End, West Bay to maintain access to civilization and avoid rental cars (read diatribes where several of us Roatan fans agree that driving any vehicle there is ill advised)

I would also suggest you look at Lawson Rock. Nice place to hang out for a week- spotless, upscale design. As with 99.87% of all Honduran operations, depending on provided services will lead to heartbreak, but hiring a cook/shopper for the week will pay off in many ways.

While not as seasoned as some I have been driving around Roatan for over ten years, never had an issue, my wife has had someone, an islander hit her, he was on the phone right away with the rental agency to set up a meeting to pay the bill before any police were even called, easier than most places so I do not know where all this horse**** about renting comes from, IF you stay at Lawson Rock you WiLL want a car BUT all in all if your the only diver I would search out a different location. I love Roatan for my reasons but I do not have to explain to eleven or so others why they should slather n deet, take anti malarials and pay prices equivalent or more to destinations more geared to beach people

.... avoid rental cars (read diatribes where several of us Roatan fans agree that driving any vehicle there is ill advised).

That was me saying that.

While not as seasoned as some I have been driving around Roatan for over ten years, .... so I do not know where all this horse**** about renting comes from...

I'm pretty sure RTB is a very well seasoned driver- and he has a great advantage... he pretty-well lives there. The road surface is undergoing constant change, but after a while you learn where the bumps and holes are, where the highest concentration of other drivers are who are trying to get you- you begin to anticipate the jabberwocky world of Roatan's Rules of the Road.

I have frolicked through the lower level legal system of Honduras for 3x as many years, with only a couple of higher crimes on the mainland. Those results may vary~ in that there is very limited predictability in the adjudicated outcome of any similar given set of facts.

What makes driving in Roatan especially a bad idea:
1) the roads and
2) the other drivers.

That would be about it.

These roads are unlighted, unstriped, not reflectored, have speed bumps that could flip an H1 Hummer, craters that could swallow same. The guard rails are amusing in that most are rotted and covered in vines... makes em slippery.

Consider the typical rental vehicle in the Caribbean. The Sun has destroyed the wiper blades, the headlights are misaligned (why is that?) and they are tippy. Now take that typical Caribbean vehicle and think about it having lived the last 3 years in Honduras. Delightful. Sure, you may get a fairly new one, but really now- how's your luck been running so far? Win the lottery have you?

The other drivers are really more an issue of other moving objects (animal, vegetable, mineral, indeterminate) which you are very likely to see with alarming frequency along these increasingly busy street.

None of these other objects (people, vehicles, chickens) have ever read "Rules of the Road" and simply do not see how their actions might have any effect on what might happen to someone else.

A beautiful story.... My pal is heading SW along the Roatan Autobahn and he is now turning left at the intersection to go into French Harbour. He's flashers are working and activated. He's even got one of those flashers in the side mirror. Quite the hi-tech system.

He's not ready to make that left turn- still oncoming traffic, but there's the break, he slowly makes the left turn. He sees a flash on his left. A motorcycle was passing on the left (could never have made a left turn at his speed) and smashed into the truck's left hand mirror. Before the motorcyclist smacked a power pole (they will put them in the most gosh-darn places: including on the pavement), before that, he hit and killed a dog.

He had enough island experience to know that he was going to have to pay, no matter what. Best to keep the middleman out of this (the court structure) so he got the motorcycle fixed by giving him $350 for what prolly cost him $75, gave the guy $50 for medical expenses. And then he got to understand what a $350 dog looked like.

Can you imagine what it cost to replace that pickup truck side mirror with the flashing arrow in it? In Honduras?

A hired driver might not suit your needs depending on where you are staying, but if it is an option, you really can't have more fun letting someone else deal with this craziness.

If I lived there or spent a great deal of time on the island, then I too would learn to drive in an ever so defensive manner. Until then, I will hire drivers or let people like RTB take me around.

Pegger, pick out a house in West End, with chef, and let all your non-diving contingent enjoy hanging out there, enjoying the color of the water, wandering around checking out the few little shops, stopping for refreshment here and there, taking water taxi trips over to West Bay to enjoy the beautiful beach, the swimming and snorkeling there.

Do get a driver to take you around the island to allow you to become aware of how very beautiful is Roatan. I've a number of friends and acquaintances that are not divers but still love the island and have returned any number of times despite the bugs. The ziplining can be fun on a non cruise day. Don't get sucked into the iguana place.

Last edited:
Hi Pegger
Stayed at Henry Morgan in West Bay and dove w/ Dive Inn in West End, they where great, but had to water taxi there 3.00 each way but the dives where 25.00 a dive w/ 10 or more dives equip. included decent Mares stuff w wet suits
Contact me at dadzferg@hotmail if you have any other questions

my reccomendation is Mayan Princess, great AI resort as well as dive shop

as for driving there? no way, we hired a cab for the day to take us around to visit the island, that was $100 well spent

I'm pretty sure RTB is a very well seasoned driver- and he has a great advantage... he pretty-well lives there. The road surface is undergoing constant change, but after a while you learn where the bumps and holes are, where the highest concentration of other drivers are who are trying to get you- you begin to anticipate the jabberwocky world of Roatan's Rules of the Road.
Quoting one of our guides from over there: "Every time it rains, there's 20 new potholes" :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom