Roatan - Where to Stay?/Cocoview houses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TravelDave

Contributor
Reaction score
1) A group of us (anywhere from 3 to 5 of us) are going to be in Roatan in May. We're now researching where to stay/dive. Any suggestions? The only places I've heard much about are CocoView and Anthony Key. Key factors are price, comfort, quality of dive operation.

2) Cocoview has a bunch of houses they rent out (near the resort with full use of resort facilities). Does anyone have any experience with staying in the houses?

Thanks,
Dave

Travel Dave...it would be extremely difficult to beat Anthony's Key for quality of dive operation. If you want fantastic diving, well maintained, fast dive boats, and the best service on the island...that is your answer. Anthony's Key - completes your factors of comfort and quality dive operation.

I am not a big fan of Coco View. It is to far from West End and West Bay a.k.a. the most beautiful beach on the island and anything else to do. I'd prefer something like Sueno Del Mar Roatan Diving Honduras | Scuba Lessons | Shore Excursions | Sueno del Mar and Roatan West End Hotel, Bay Islands or Pura Vida Roatan Dive Resort – Pura Vida Resort Hotel, Restaurant and Dive Centre, Roatan, Honduras which are in the fun village of West end. Mayan princess on the best beach on the island by far (West Bay) MAYAN PRINCESS - BEACH & DIVE RESORT. Or something in between like Las Rocas www.lasrocasresort.com or Luna Beach Resort Scuba Diving: Luna Beach Resort, Roatan Caribbean Paradise Accommodations scuba diving vacations Ð luxury beach resort Ð Roatan, Honduras. Just to let you know Luna Beach does have a big party once a week. I forget the night but it goes late and is a big event.

Hope this helps. Make sure you try the shark dive at Waihuka. I just loaded a video of it Honduras The Dive Guide

I have been to Roatan three different times. The first time I stayed at Bay Island Beach Resort, the second time at CocoView, and the third time back at Bay Island Beach Resort. (Can't tell you about Anthony's Key but I have heard good things)

I liked Cocoview OK but we all agreed that the food was much better at Bay Island Beach Resort. I also like the diving better on the side of the island that BIBR is on. The other thing I like about BIBR is they ( I assume they still do) do 4 dives a day with 3 of the sites being different sites and the 4th is a drop-off at Spooky Channel. Cocoview advertises 4 dives a day but 2 of the 4 are drop-offs at the wall at the resort. So you get more varied places at BIBR if that's important to you.

I have heard Anthony's Key is nice also but the price at BIBR was several hundred less for the week and I couldn't see that you really get more for your money at Anthony's Key. Some of the group that was with us the last time at BIBR had stayed at AK and said for the difference in price, BIBR was the way to go.

BDSC

The Beach Houses at Coco View provide a bit more privacy if that is what you are looking for....it is a short 10 min walk to the main clubhouse and dive facilities...The dive operation is top notch. The resort caters to divers (no kids) unless certified...there is not much else to do at the resort except for dive eat sleep...The bar at night is the main gathering place if you are not night diving in the Front Yard. They do have some nightly entertainment almost everynight. Check out their website and msg board for specific questions Welcome to CoCo View Resort I have been going there since the 80's so it is like home for me....I will be there the last weekend in June 09....

I have stayed and dived with AKR and CCV. There are probably lots of posts about the differences between the two and the North Side of Roatan versus the South. But I did not find much on-line about the beach houses at CCV before we stayed there, so here is a little info.

Beach House and CCV
July 2008 we stayed in a beach bungalow for ten days called La Casita. There are about 10 or 12 choices of Bungalows to available for rent where you can dive with CCV. There should be one large enough to accommodate your group. All bungalows are on the beach, most have A/C in the bedrooms, and are a few minutes bike ride from the resort. The resort has plenty of bikes available on a first come first serve basis to ride back and forth. A smooth, flat road runs behind the beach houses to ride on or you can take the beach route. La Casita was a simple two bedroom home, with a metal roof, wood floors and walls. There was also a nice screened in patio with two hammocks and a full kitchen. Although we could prepare your own food, we chose the food package at the resort, since we planned to do lots of diving, and we did.

The bungalow management is also extremely accommodating. They will deliver anything to your room or refrigerator upon request. When we were off diving, sometimes the "beer fairy" would visit delivering beer, juice and diet cokes. After a full day of diving, we enjoyed the presents left in our refrigerator from the "beer fairy."

Quality of Dive Operation:
Well run, valet diving (except when you swim in from the drop-off dive), 4 dives/day, short boat rides, nice boats, unlimited shore diving, exceptional service, friendly staff, dive lockers conveniently located just off the stern of the dive boat.

A little about the diving:
So far, the healthiest coral that I have seen in the Caribbean with lots of fishes. There is more of the small stuff on the south side, but definitely worth diving.

I am not a big fan of Coco View....It is to far from West End and West Bay a.k.a. the most beautiful beach on the island and anything else to do.... which are in the fun village of West end.... have a big party once a week. I forget the night but it goes late and is a big event.

Precisely the reason we prefer CoCoView.

We want and go there just for diving. We don't want night life or parasol drinks on beach chairs.

We want 5x a day with a night dive. Not everyone does.

There are many options for vacationers, but only a few are right for stinky, wet rubber suited divers.

Precisely the reason we prefer CoCoView.

We want and go there just for diving. We don't want night life or parasol drinks on beach chairs.

We want 5x a day with a night dive. Not everyone does.

There are many options for vacationers, but only a few are right for stinky, wet rubber suited divers.

Come on... What about the crab races on Friday? :) :) :)

I'm so tired of picking a loser crab that I'm going to bring a ringer from Maine next time!

we just got back Saturday from a week on Roatan staying at CCV. I have to agree with RoatanMan - we go on a dive vacation to dive dive dive. Having a beach, pool, or party scene is not only not necessary, we haven't used a pool or beach on a trip in many years! They are a total waste for us.... when we aren't in the water diving, we are in the room setting up camera gear, charging batteries, getting prepped for the next dive, or eating or sleeping. CoCoView met our needs perfectly! There is a big "farewell" party at CCV on Friday night which was fantastic, and I think Liz will remember the Red Boat crew for awhile. :wink: :D:eyebrow:

Yes, CCV does 4 boat dives per day with 2 of those being dropoffs. But the dropoff dives were fantastic! We loved being able to go at our own pace, finding things on our own. We don't need a DM to hold our hand and lead us. I found a seahorse on CCV wall one day, Ron found one on Newman's wall another day. :D Then there is the great wrecks sitting there just off the resort, we loved both the Prince Albert and the airplane wrecks and found lots of cool stuff on both. And also, if the group on the boat doesn't want a dropoff dive you can talk to the DM and boat capt -they are always open to suggestions. We skipped the dropoff a couple of times and all did a second reef dive. People on another boat told us that they had all thought about asking to do that but didn't get up the nerve to ask. Silly people! :blinking: We asked. The one day that it rained heavy our boat crew said they thought the dropoff would be ugly so they had already planned to do a second boat dive for us. :D Red boat rocks!!! We were absolutely spoiled rotten by Dave and Mel. Can't say enough good things about those 2 guys. :D

CCV isn't for everyone... no tv, no pool, no kids, no beach, it is a dive resort made for diveaholics, like me. :D

robin:D

Come on... What about the crab races on Friday? :) :) :) I'm so tired of picking a loser crab that I'm going to bring a ringer from Maine next time!

You can "meat" the losers on Saturday for lunch if you stay over for two weeks. :eyebrow:

I am going to Roatan in mid-May so I was very pleased to find this discussion.

CCV isn't for everyone... no tv, no pool, no kids, no beach, it is a dive resort made for diveaholics, like me. :D

robin:D

No beach at all, or no fancy beach? They advertise unlimited shore diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom