Roatan, what not to take?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nitrox on the first tank or the second? My instructor, when I took IANTD Advanced Nitrox (now called something like intro to technical diving) advised me to use Nitrox on the first tank, if using it on both dives was too expensive. My dive computer did not seem to know the difference between using Nitrox on the first or second dive, and actually gave a bit more bottom time on the second dive. I think the instructor was right and the dive computer is just a dumb box of chips.

FIBR's current version of "unlimited nitrox" means it's unlimited so long as you are only using 3 tanks a day. If you want to do a 4th or more dive per day you get regular air.... If you only did 2 boat dives then you could get a nitrox tank for a shore dive but limited to max 3 nitrox tanks per person per day..

They are supposedly renovating La Palapa but I didnt see any work being done on it when I was there.

They had a sign at the front desk that said they were doing several renovations and the Palapa was one of them, also putting in a Thai restaurant and supposed to be upgrading dive boats too. I didnt see any of these renovations being done at this time though. Sounds like they have some good plans for 2009. I just hope they keep the prices reasonable.

Adjuster,
Did they close down La Palapa permanently?

That's what I remembered. Thanks for the link.

BTW, at the end of the week CCV charges either the per-tank rate or the weekly rate, whichever is less. You didn't have to opt for any sort of "Nitrox package" beforehand.

Although I gotta say that I don't understand why anyone who is already Nitrox certified, doing four or five or six dives a day that start as deep as 70'/80'/90', for five and a half days, would be diving air or Nitrox+air to save a couple of bucks. After all it costs to get there and stay there, it seems penny wise and pound foolish to me... :shrug:

Although I gotta say that I don't understand why anyone who is already Nitrox certified, doing four or five or six dives a day..... would be diving air

Why... that's me! (Among quite a few others!)

that start as deep as 70'/80'/90'

That's where the description diverges.

Most of the people I dive the South side of Roatan with rarely go below 60 feet. That includes DM's.

FIBR DMs traditionally lead many dives that begin as deep as 90 feet. Most divers at FIBR do a max of three per day. Of the many, many dives I have done at Roatan, the only time I hit 70 feet is at Mary's Place or Calvin's Crack. I can name plenty of other Roatan CCV regulars who have learned to follow similar dive profiles as have I- and we are all doing 5x a day.

At CCV, there is a standard warning given at one very specific dive site of, "It's easy to get deep". This is a dive site that feature a 70' level to begin the dive. It is all in presentation and perception, but at CCV- the DM's lead shallow dives.

The cool stuff is shallow. It took me years to understand that. If you get a great DM and follow him, you will be very busy at 45 feet.

Our mathematically computed average depths over the usual 1hr or 1:20 dives are between 26~32 feet.

I do not use nitrox for one very simple reason- if I have to descend past limits to bring errant divers back up from overly deep profiles, I want that option without the fear of Oxygen toxicity. That is my "reason".

After many years of diving this South side area, at a time when there simply was no EAN option, we realized early on that it was all but impossible to get into the "red" by diving the South side conservatively (ie: shallow with incrementally slow ascents). I also find it hard to take anyones argument seriously about the application of nitrox when they keep capitalizing the word :eyebrow:

Fighting words! There are few things that bring up ire and more hard-to-defend biases than the one toward using nitrox. (Well, maybe split fins, okay) Whether it's that you have paid money for the the c-card, or it's offered at a bargain, or it makes you feel frisky... there are any number of divers who go all stink-eye if you say things that make them question their beliefs or think that you're saying that their religion is grape Kool-Aid.

Use nitrox, or don't, whatever makes you happy. Just understand that what makes the South side of Roatan unique in the Caribbean, it's shallow Sun bathed walls, are best dived shallow. Rarely anything of real note below 55 feet.

As light diminishes at any given level by X%, so do the life forms diminish at that same X% rate at a specific depth in the water column. Life concentrates nearer to the Sun.

If you are enjoying deeper profiles and find your excitement there, go for it! Nitrox might work well for you. All I am saying is that using it just to use it is one of those things you might want to think about. It is absolutely not a reason to eliminate any given South side resort from your vacation list if they do not offer it.

Well I wasn't looking for a fight from anyone, least ways you Doc, but from my brief experience if your are there to do wall dives you aren't going to be able to do that from 40' and up. I would say most of my dives were deep then shallow, and I'd go so far as to say that most of my dives next week will be deep then shallow as well. :cool: In that case, diving 32% every dive definitely makes a difference in Nitrogen (large N again, what a r00k I am!) loading. I'm sure that's less of an issue if you are doing shallower dives all week, but that's only half of what I'm there to see. :D

Well I wasn't looking for a fight from anyone, least ways you

It's never a fight. It's hoped to be an intelligent, well reasoned discussion that draws out opinions and encourages logical thinking- specific to this unusual niche diving environment of the South side. In that it is so radically different than any other Caribbean offering that it is often not understood or perceived as such.

I'm sure that's less of an issue if you are doing shallower dives all week, but that's only half of what I'm there to see. :D

Therein lies the crux of the biscuit. When I go to this zone I am engaged in searching for the peculiar critters that are only found in shallow, Sunlit florid walls. I can find the additional 70'+ type of critters in a lot of other places in the Caribbean.

if your are there to do wall dives you aren't going to be able to do that from 40' and up.

Oh, no, not at all true. Every coral head in the below image initiates the vertical wall topping out in in 5 to 12 feet of water.

Below- there is 3/4 mile of shore dive accessible (also done as boat dives) very shallow wall diving, right in front of either FIBR or CCV. The other moored dives can also be done very shallow, but there are some exceptions... those do drop to 65fsw.

Picture_114.png

It is essentially a snorkeler's paradise.

Cocoview002PS.jpg
<- I have spent many hours on SCUBA in this very shallow area- there are an amazing concentration of critters here. You would have to hold a gun to most diver's heads to get them to try it. Once they do, they're hooked.

These shallow coral heads are anywhere from 10 to 75 feet across. At the Ocean side, they drop straight down & vertically to the 90' sand level. You can "wall dive" from 5 feet down to 90'. There is another wall that then begins deeper. Most of the unusual peculiar stuff lives at 35 feet and above.

Easily, 1/3 of my dives on Roatan have been done right here:

2784500686_b2d375c9e0_o.jpg
images-18.jpeg

The aft of that ship bottoms out in 65fsw, the deck sits in 45, the superstructure in 22. The bow rests in 40fsw and the top is in 25'.

Many divers go out on night shore dives and spend the majority of their dive at 65feet along the wall. They come back with limited results compared to our 35' dives in the shallows and on top of the wreck. They do their 49 minute dives, we come in at 1:30 BT. Even a fat old man like me gets huge BT at that depth. Plus- you move very little, just sit and watch.

There are many people I know who spend 3 out of 5 Roatan dives right on this shallow hulk. It has more of the unusual Roatan South side niche environment critters that we seek.

I think any number of people absolutely believe that they have to go deep for excitement. Now, I understand that JohnB has specific targets in mind that live deeper, but many of those can be found elsewhere in the Craibbean.

This is the shallow stuff (mostly) that can be found nowhere else...http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/3139 (or not in this frequency and concentration)

It's like a ski mountain in some ways, you can ski Black Diamonds or Green Dots, all for different reasons.

RoatanMan:
The 2nd image in your last post with the shallow coral heads and the snorkelers......
Where is that located? I'm working on a series of natural light underwater photos and this appears to be an ideal spot to pursue this...
I'll be on the island next week and I'd love to spend "quality time" there.
Thanks.
Jim

The 2nd image in your last post with the shallow coral heads and the snorkelers......Where is that located? I'm working on a series of natural light underwater photos and this appears to be an ideal spot to pursue this...

ClickMap_22.png

This is on the South side, specifically (see photo image in other post) on the shallowest of coral heads- they front Ezekiel Cay (Fantasy Island) and Big Cay Channel (CoCoView). Many of the resorts do moored boat dives along this shallow wall.

A few "natural light" shooters have come before you....

Picture_432.png
Picture_422.png
Picture_453.png
Picture_411.png

There is a lot of money being wasted on Nitrox. If air was not safe, why do they teach people to dive on air? For me Nitrox is a technical item. If I am diving someplace like the Texas Flower Gardens where we do repetitive 65' square dives its great stuff and worth the crazy $15 per tank the boats get. The rest of the time I dive air and nothing happens. Perhaps we should take it up a notch and pay $40 per tank for Tri-Ox to have a clear head on a recreational dive to 110'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom