Roatan, what not to take?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There a couple of wrecks where you should wear gloves

....................:no:

The wrecks are themselves becoming reefs. There is never a need for wearing gloves, and no dive op should suggest that gloves are allowed on the wrecks- they are alive.

I dive 5x a day there on air. There is no need for nitrox, the best stuff is shallow. Average dive depths run about 35fsw. They do indeed have an analyzer, as most any resort that offers nitrox does. FIBR is exactly what you would find as a dive op anywhere else in the Caribbean.

As R-man said, they do have their analyser. Make darned sure you check each tank you leave with, for Oxygen content as well as pressure. We got surprises more often than we would have liked and avoided problems by knowing what was in the tank. As R-man said Nitrox is not necessary... but honnestly, I feel much much better using Nitrox when i'm doing multiple dives a day. But that's just me...:coffee:

Adjuster,
Did they close down La Palapa permanently?

Agreeing with Kate, I would definitely take bug spray. Prime feeding time seems to be early morning, and when returning from night dives, but the critters can be around at any time, especially if there is no wind.

There are no wrecks that you need gloves for.

Last year, FI had 2 nitrox analyzers (or 1 plus a private one being used by a large group who were all diving nitrox), and usually a lot of people lined up to use them, holding up second boat dives. I dive air when I'm there, but if using nitrox, I would DEFINITELY analyze every tank.

Last edited:
Cocoview has an awesome system setup for Nitrox analysis. In each of the 4 gear locker rooms, there's an old regulator on the bench with a pressure guage and a Nitrox analyzer permanentaly attached.

Put it on the tank, turn on the valve and you can verify tank pressure and mix all at once. If it takes you more than 30 seconds per tank, you're dragging your feet!

Cocoview also does unlimited Nitrox for the week for $100. Totally worth it.

-Charles

....................:no:

I dive 5x a day there on air. There is no need for nitrox, the best stuff is shallow. Average dive depths run about 35fsw. They do indeed have an analyzer, as most any resort that offers nitrox does. FIBR is exactly what you would find as a dive op anywhere else in the Caribbean.

Thanks, I will probably use the nitrox, since it is free, I know it is just an added safety margin, I only hit NDL once last time I was there. BTW on that trip, I managed an average depth of 51 fsw.

Danny

I agree with Danny. If Nitrox is there and available, I'm using it. I don't want to be limited to depth because of my NDL. I'd get pretty annoyed if I couldn't go down to see what everyone was looking at on the 4th dive of the day because of the increased nitrogen load breathing air.

Some dive ops are going to "Same price for Nitrox." Fish-N-Fins in Palau comes to mind. The Aggressor fleet seems to be sticking with $100/week unlimited Nitrox. Same as Cocoview. The only glaring exception I know of is Cozumel which has gone way up to $10/tank extra. That forced me to split and do air on the first dive, Nitrox on the 2nd.

-Charles

That forced me to split and do air on the first dive, Nitrox on the 2nd.

-Charles

Sorry to sidetrack, but I think you mean that you would do nitrox on the first dive, and then air on the second.

If you did air on the first dive, you are beginning your second dive with higher nitrogen loading, which limits your second dive MUCH more.

If you did nitrox on the first dive, you would begin the second dive with much lower nitrogen loading. Therefore, your NDL will be more generous for whichever depth you choose for the second dive. Since that depth should be shallower for subsequent dives, you are on-gassing even less for those subsequent dives, which of course increases your NDL anyway.

If you must choose one dive to use nitrox in a day, choose the first, (recreationally) deepest one.

Cocoview also does unlimited Nitrox for the week for $100. Totally worth it.
I'd have to check my notes to be certain, but IIRC when I was at CCV last November it had gone up to $125/week. I'm going back this month, I'll try to remember to post back.

Diving with Nitrox
Nitrox is available at $8.00 per tank or $125 per week for CoCo View guests. Nitrox tanks will not be released without a Nitrox/EAN c-card. Nitrox certification courses are available through Dockside Dive Center. Advance reservations may be made at Welcome to Dockside Dive Center

It's my understanding that FIBR has unlimited free Nitrox for the week as well as free beer, wine and drinks. Something about the new owners wanting to draw in new divers. Did I mention free beer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom