Roatan Recompression Chamber / Dive Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing in addition to chamber treatment is that DAN insurance will provide evacuation in the event it is needed. In the event you need some other medical treatment, you'd want to be able to travel to where that treatment was available. DAN can facilitate that.

I don't know how much input we have as to where we go but I'll see if Spooky Channel and Texas are options.

I had heard it wasn't too far to get to the west end. What can we find there? It sounds like that's where the nightlife is.
I'm pretty sure you'll do Spooky Channel as it's less than a mile east of AKR. I just meant that you should do it later in the week given your experience level, it's slightly overhead obstructed in some areas as you swim through the channel.

About 2.5 miles from AKR to Half Moon Bay. Which is the east end of West End. It continues for about another mile or so farther west from there and then it's a couple miles from there to West Bay. Almost all the bars, restaurants, the two small food stores, most of the shops, in that area are clustered in the West End. For dinner choices other than AKR, try the Argentinean Grille or Mavis & Dixies - dining on the water. Both had good food. Sundowners is a local divebar on Half Moon Bay as is Foster's farther down. And there's a bunch of others between them.

Just a side note to the OP.

RE: carrying ins & still payng the local Chamber donation. Most divers I know do for the simple fact that the donations help local chambers keep their doors open, and the chamber maintained.

Let's face it, it won't matter which ins plan you chose, if there isn't a Chamber nearby to be treated in when you need it.

I know a doctor who carried dive insurance for years, and the one time he didn't renew.... guess what? Yep he got a chamber ride, then to make maters worse, a hurricane hit the area and he was stuck for another week (and couldn't even dive!). DIve insurance would have helped, if not covering the whole thing.

I have DAN, and pay the local fee when I can. It just makes good sense to me to help out when I can. The DAN fees are nominal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom