ROATAN: Coco View or Fantasy Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubachica

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm going to Roatan in late Aug. and am undecided between Coco View and Fantasy Island. I put a deposit on Coco View yesterday but am still a bit undecided b/c I just got same feedback from a friend of mine (experienced, well-traveled diver) who had a bad experience at Coco View a few years ago (bad water that caused stomach problems, same dives day after day which got boring, isolated, and no a/c). She recommends FI instead.

I've never been to Roatan so I don't know what to do. There are so many good posts abt both places. I'll be going to Roatan w/ my boyfriend and we're both intermediate divers with about 50 dives each under our belts. We've dove in Belize, Fiji, Turks & Caicos, the Virgin Islands, Thailand and the Red Sea. We loved the ambience of Belize (stayed in condos on the water next door to Ramone's) and enjoy liveaboards so I'm not sure the remoteness of Coco View is going to be a big deal. But, I'm concerned about my friend's comment about going to the same old dive sites day after day right off the nearby reef, which got very boring for her. I'd love your thoughts on the variety of the dive sites and whether you agree/disagree with my friend's view.

And, I assume the water/illness situation has been addressed by Coco View. (Saw old posts about people getting sick from the water at the resort, which seems to back up my friend's comments, but that information is dated?)

All comments appreciated.

Thanks!

you'll love either one. FI seems to cater to the euro traveler a bit more I thought. they also have more than just diving, like skiing, jet skis, windsurfing, beach sunning, etc. CCV on the other hand is for divers, and I would think thst if you looking for something other than diving, CCV may not be for you. If you want to dive, than CCV is for you, as you can dive as much as you like. CVV has different meals every night, where FI had a buffet every night, so you can pick and choose but the menu doesn't change much night to night. Both places have A/C in most not if not all rooms. rooms were both clean and well kept while we were there. Both places had very good dive staff, and equipment.

I've followed groups to Fantasy Island twice, loved it both times, but - if I were doing Roatan again on my own, I'd be tempted to try the CCV difference. Pick either based on Rick's explanations and you'll be happy.

CCV had a problem at one time. It was a vendor, not the water, as you drink and eat from RevOss water I believe, but that was long ago.

I don't know your friend so I can't say why she was bored with some of the best diving in this part of the world? Maybe she needed a prescription mask, I do. Maybe she just doesn't pay attention? Super wall dives, and if you slow down to look closely into the coral - perhaps with a light even in daytime, you'll be amazed at the camouflaged life right before you. I doubt that you will do any site twice from the boat trips in a week; maybe she just didn't notice the difference.

DandyDon:
CCV had a problem at one time. It was a vendor, <snip> but that was long ago.

Will this misinformation ever go away?

The entire country of Honduras had this problem, including every Bay Island Resort.

Only CoCoView recognized the problem, took steps to isolate the problem, then announced to the Honduran Govt, Bay Islands Resorts and even the nattering Blundercurrent... that the problem had been resolved.

Fantasy Island is a resort that happens to offer diving. CoCoView is a dive resort.

That simple.

Don, go try it soon, and let the Board know the difference. Matter of fact, maybe not- it's getting hard to get a booking!

I have not been to Coco View but recently returned from FI. We enjoyed our time there. We dove with experienced divers and enjoyed every minute. It did appear that many on the resort were there to do other things than dive. I get the impression Coco View is almost all expierenced divers. I will try Coco View next time I am down there. I say this not because we would not go back to FI, but that I have heard so much about the experience there. I will say that if you want, the reefs and wrecks that both resorts share will become familiar to you whichever resort you stay with. I did not say boring because if you look you will see 10 new things each time you are there. FI does take the boats to 3 different locals each day. Coco View goes to two with two drop dives on the shared reef and wrecks. I got dropped everyday but the first and loved each time (including finding a seahorse in low vis, I considered it an accomplishment) I hope this helps.

RoatanMan:
Will this misinformation ever go away?

The entire country of Honduras had this problem, including every Bay Island Resort.

Only CoCoView recognized the problem, took steps to isolate the problem, then announced to the Honduran Govt, Bay Islands Resorts and even the nattering Blundercurrent... that the problem had been resolved.

Fantasy Island is a resort that happens to offer diving. CoCoView is a dive resort.

That simple.

Don, go try it soon, and let the Board know the difference. Matter of fact, maybe not- it's getting hard to get a booking!
Sorry - I was trying to say that whatever one may have heard bad about CCV, forget it. Great dive resort, great reputation. And from what I've heard about CCV compared to what I've seen at FIBR - better organized and operated.

Anyway, they are both great. Rick's comparisons gave good criteria for deciding which style is best for the respective visitor.

Thank you...

scubachica:
I've never been to Roatan so I don't know what to do. There are so many good posts abt both places. I'll be going to Roatan w/ my boyfriend and we're both intermediate divers with about 50 dives each under our belts. We've dove in Belize, Fiji, Turks & Caicos, the Virgin Islands, Thailand and the Red Sea. We loved the ambience of Belize (stayed in condos on the water next door to Ramone's) and enjoy liveaboards so I'm not sure the remoteness of Coco View is going to be a big deal. But, I'm concerned about my friend's comment about going to the same old dive sites day after day right off the nearby reef, which got very boring for her. I'd love your thoughts on the variety of the dive sites and whether you agree/disagree with my friend's view.

Well, now that you've decided where you're going, perhaps I can help you anticipate the experience. I spent a week at CocoView in late April.

CocoView is situated in a lagoon ... Fantasy Island is on the other side of the lagoon, perhaps a quarter-mile away. Between them there are two walls. On the CocoView side is CocoView Wall. On the Fantasy Island side is Newman's Wall. Both are easily accessible from CocoView resort. Between the two walls the bottom drops down to a max depth of about 90 feet. At about 50 feet there is a sunken ship ... about 140 feet or so in length ... and the remains of a DC-3 airplane. These are the main shore-diving attractions. The walls, ship, and airplane are collectively known by CocoView regulars as the "Front Yard".

When you arrive at CocoView you will notice a chalkboard out by the docks with boat assignments. Your name will be on that board, assigned to a boat. Each day you will go out on the same boat. They have four identical boats ... the only difference is the color - red, green, blue, and yellow. The boat crew will set up your gear every day and take you out to a different dive site on each boat dive. The dive sites the boat will visit are varied ... and wonderful. Some are ledges, others are walls, still others have swim-throughs, chutes, and alleys that make for some exciting and interesting dives. After each boat dive, if you choose, the boat crew will drop you off on one of the lagoon walls I described earlier, and you can make your way back to the resort underwater. In this manner, it is very easy to get in four dives per day just off the boat. In addition, if you want you can access the Front Yard from CocoView. When we were there we were regularly doing 4 to 6 dives per day.

For the best diving experience, be prepared to go slow and look for small stuff. Things like seahorses, frogfish, and stone fish are very camoflauged ... and you can swim right past them without ever noticing unless you go slow and look carefully.

The meals at CocoView are excellent. Every meal is served buffet style, but the menu varies each day. It isn't fancy, but it's well prepared and tasty. I think I gained a few pounds during my stay.

But the best part of CocoView is the staff. These people take "Friendly" to a whole new level. I've been to several resorts in various parts of the world, and although I can say that I've always been well-served by the folks I've come into contact with, I was particularly impressed with how well the CocoView staff treats its patrons. When they say "welcome to our family" they act like they mean it.

CocoView isn't just for experienced divers ... there were plenty of resort divers when I was there. But it is the place to go if you want to spend most of your time diving. I did 26 dives during the six diving days I had available ... and I can't imagine anyone saying the diving was boring. Even though 14 of our dives were in the Front Yard, each dive had it's own unique features. Spend time on the walls ... especially Newman's Wall, and if possible do at least one night dive. The amount of sea life isn't always obvious to the casual observer, but if you pay attention you will see some extraordinary creatures out there.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

scubachica:
I'm going to Roatan in late Aug. and am undecided between Coco View and Fantasy Island. I put a deposit on Coco View yesterday but am still a bit undecided b/c I just got same feedback from a friend of mine (experienced, well-traveled diver) who had a bad experience at Coco View a few years ago (bad water that caused stomach problems, same dives day after day which got boring, isolated, and no a/c). She recommends FI instead.

And, I assume the water/illness situation has been addressed by Coco View. (Saw old posts about people getting sick from the water at the resort, which seems to back up my friend's comments, but that information is dated?)

All comments appreciated.

Thanks!

Mira Chica !
Coco-View, hands down, no other way to go. You will be dissapointed at Fantasy Island, believe me. I have been to CCV twice now and when in Roatan there is no better place. I was there last month with my fiance and she fell in love with it.
Four to five dives a day, whatever you can handle. 2 - 2 tank boat dives daily. Night dives right off the shore. 2 walls right in front of the resort, great food. GoGoGO

Good Viz,
George :thumb:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom