Thoughts on Coco View Resort, Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well of course its subjective. It’s all about what matters to someone. And sometimes food is one of the deciding factors.

Talking about the diving aspects of a place does not mean you can’t talk about other things. Kinda handy to have in one place. (Oh, wait, when it comes to CCV its only permissible to talk about the things that matter to a certain person, and not to have any different opinions. Oops.)

ahh, the nets have devolved into rating the food quality as a deciding factor.

No subjectivism there.

SB moves closer to Twit Advisor every day.
The OP asked for peoples opinions, and opinions or "views on the subject" are for the most part subjective personal views. Pretty much what SB is about, collecting different opinions so one can make their own informed decision.
The reefs are marginal at best with very limited fish population. Every minute spent out of the water you are coated in insect repellent, and you are trapped on their resort so the only food you get for a week is what they provide. So yes, food is an important part of the decision.
It's not a cheap trip by any means, and if you are a healthy eater, vegan or a vegetarian you will probably lose weight. Our group of four, (3 athletes and 1 dietician), saw plenty of large to XXXXL people with their plates loaded with fried food totally enjoying the meals, while we had very limited to no healthy options.
Sorry, but your beloved CoCo View is a one and done for us.

…and now, that was the second FAT SHAMING reference.

Nice work and very on-point.

IMG_9857.jpeg

I agree, @Damselfish. Food is important to many of us. I don’t need fancy food, just decent quality ingredients prepared with some thought. Neither AKR nor CCV have the best dive resort food I’ve had. As for the silly surf and turf night (which I guess is a tradition) I felt CCV pulled it off better than AKR, which (lobster tails) I criticized in my AKR review as “pathetically small” and “inedibly salty,” if I recall. Neither resort should bother with that kind of food, but again, maybe it’s some kind of tradition or rivalry.

I got to where I was just ordering hamburgers off menu - or not choosing one the two menu items offered at any given meal - at AKR last time. Their food was passable, but not tops, and in my estimation, the burgers were consistent. I don't require much in the way of variety and burgers at every sitting were fine. @ CCV last August, I had a hard time with the food offerings. Just didn't care for what they put out. Could always grab a box of sugary dried cereal and packaged cookies though.

ahh, the nets have devolved into rating the food quality as a deciding factor.

No subjectivism there.

SB moves closer to Twit Advisor every day.
Well, for me, it matters.

I agree, @Damselfish. Food is important to many of us. I don’t need fancy food, just decent quality ingredients prepared with some thought. Neither AKR nor CCV have the best dive resort food I’ve had. As for the silly surf and turf night (which I guess is a tradition) I felt CCV pulled it off better than AKR, which (lobster tails) I criticized in my AKR review as “pathetically small” and “inedibly salty,” if I recall. Neither resort should bother with that kind of food, but again, maybe it’s some kind of tradition or rivalry.
Yup. If I am diving, I need good food. I do not eat meat and I am not interested in sugary stuff. Diving is one sport (along with golf) where the participants can be BIG. Maybe the resort food…

The OP asked for peoples opinions, and opinions or "views on the subject" are for the most part subjective personal views. Pretty much what SB is about, collecting different opinions so one can make their own informed decision.
The reefs are marginal at best with very limited fish population. Every minute spent out of the water you are coated in insect repellent, and you are trapped on their resort so the only food you get for a week is what they provide. So yes, food is an important part of the decision.
It's not a cheap trip by any means, and if you are a healthy eater, vegan or a vegetarian you will probably lose weight. Our group of four, (3 athletes and 1 dietician), saw plenty of large to XXXXL people with their plates loaded with fried food totally enjoying the meals, while we had very limited to no healthy options.
Sorry, but your beloved CoCo View is a one and done for us.
Thank you. I did ask for opinions—and food and lodging is also what influences my choices. Based on the reviews, I am skipping it.

I wonder if it has actually gotten better or we have a different perception. It's one of several reasons we don't go back. I would call it downscale summer camp buffet with limited options, and not very good. (Especially for vegetarians.)
Would be interested in hearing places you’ve gone with good vegetarian food. That’s always a challenge for us too. Thus far Cozumel has some impressive vegetarian (even vegan) restaurants (just there 12/6-12/16 for our 6th visit), as did Curaçao at the end of September.

Would be interested in hearing places you’ve gone with good vegetarian food. That’s always a challenge for us too. Thus far Cozumel has some impressive vegetarian (even vegan) restaurants (just there 12/6-12/16 for our 6th visit), as did Curaçao at the end of September.
Little Cayman Beach Resort. Chef makes custom meals for vegans. Pretty darn good.

Back
Top Bottom