Roatan - Bay Island Beach Resort - Early May - Sugestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TravelDave

Contributor
Reaction score
A group of us are going to Roatan for the first time the first week of May. Staying at Bay Island Beach Resort. 4 days of diving planned, then 2 of us head inland to tour Copan. Here's my open-ended and sufficiently vague question:

Any suggestions?

This could include:
- Must see dive sites
- Topside activities and dining
- General tips (what to bring, etc)
- Any other wisdom you can share

Thanks,
Dave

I'm spending the week of April 18-25 at Fantasy Island with a larger group from our local dive shop. I'll post a trip report on sites visited etc.. when I return.

TravelDave and BigHarryDiver will likely only visit one dive site in common, that would be Mary's Place.

BIBR and FIBR are mere miles apart by car, but by boat, they are over an hour away from each other.

BIBR will take you to dive sites commensurate with the skills you demonstrate by day #2. Pretty much so any dive op works like that. They have a pre-set schedule that can vary due to wind and wave, but largely- the dive sites they do are the dive sites they do.

May is a great time of year, you'll love it.

As for the other questions (topside and general tips), consider a :search: of these often asked specifics right here on :sblogo:

Any suggestions?

This could include:
- Must see dive sites
Spooky Channel, Texas. Both on your side of the island.
Ziplining? In the West End, Argentinean Grille or Mavis & Dixies on the water.
25% Deet - I did fine with Deep Woods Off.
Negotiate cab rates up front. Power's going to go off a lot. Maybe not at BIBR.
The only reliable ATM's we found were at the airport. The one on the right speaks English.

Any suggestions?

I just returned from Roatan and found:
- Must see dive sites
SeaQuest had the most abundant fish and other sea life - 7 sea turtles on one dive
Mavis & Dixies, Cannibals Cafe (mexican), Coconut Tree Restaurant, Lobster Pot
(Argentinean Grille if you must have beef, otherwise they are way overrated IMHO.)
PLEASE do NOT use any products with Deet...it hurts the reef!!! Use Cactus Juice. It works just as well. You can buy it at the Marine Park Office (profits go to the park) or at most of the grocery stores in West End
Remember that you need $36 to get out of the country and be ready to have a great time!!

I will be at BIBR June 13-20. I can't wait. I absolutely loved Utila. I am so anxious, don't know if I can stand to wait.

PLEASE do NOT use any products with Deet...it hurts the reef!!! Use Cactus Juice. It works just as well.

I've heard this before about DEET and the reef. I know there has been a lot of research done on human affects - don't wear on broken skin, don't use if pregnant, etc. However I've not found much if anything on it's affect on marine life other than a couple studies. These studies have found that it does have an affect on Mosquitofish (how ironic is that !!) Rainbow Trout and the fathead minnow - also affected Mozambique Tilapia. Other studies indicated that DEET also affects some zooplankton; the water flea and Scud. However the studies indicated that affects were mild toxicity or not acutely toxic.

This seems to somewhat contradict the "it hurts the reef" bit. Now, I'm all for NOT dragging stuff into the ocean that shouldn't be there and would much rather err on the side of caution rather than finding out later (like sunscreen) that it's killing the reef or ocean organisms.

What I'm trying to find out is if there is some type of source for comments on DEET and the reef...

PLEASE do NOT use any products with Deet...it hurts the reef!!! Use Cactus Juice. It works just as well. You can buy it at the Marine Park Office (profits go to the park) or at most of the grocery stores in West End

From what i understand, the problem is not there if you wash it of before entering the water, that aside .. i totally agree with Bye Me:

I've heard this before about DEET and the reef. I know there has been a lot of research done on human affects - don't wear on broken skin, don't use if pregnant, etc. However I've not found much if anything on it's affect on marine life other than a couple studies. These studies have found that it does have an affect on Mosquitofish (how ironic is that !!) Rainbow Trout and the fathead minnow - also affected Mozambique Tilapia. Other studies indicated that DEET also affects some zooplankton; the water flea and Scud. However the studies indicated that affects were mild toxicity or not acutely toxic.

This seems to somewhat contradict the "it hurts the reef" bit. Now, I'm all for NOT dragging stuff into the ocean that shouldn't be there and would much rather err on the side of caution rather than finding out later (like sunscreen) that it's killing the reef or ocean organisms.

What I'm trying to find out is if there is some type of source for comments on DEET and the reef...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom