Roatan - Anthonys Key Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beej1123

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

If anyone out there has been to Anthonys Key Resort please let me know what you thought about it.

Thanks
Bernadette

Bernadette,
My wife & I vacationed at AKR back in November 2004. We were very impressed with the resort itself. Once we arrived, we were told that they had inadvertently overbooked rooms and they put us in a two bedroom apartment on the second story of the hyperbauric chamber/medical facility. It was very nice & spacious and you would have never known what was downstairs.

The dive operation was very organized and they typically go out 3 times/day. There is also shore diving, though they sometimes shut that down if the seas are rough. On our last diving day, there was a storm in the Caribbean which made the sea very rough on the north side. The resort sent the dive boats over to the south side and bused the divers over. We only got in 2 dives that day, but I thought the resort really went out of its way to accomodate everyone.

Bailey's Key with the dolphin snorkels & dives is a short boat taxi away, there is a small museum onsite and there are other activities at the resort. West End is a short taxi away if you want to go into town for shopping, eating or nightlife. We went out a couple of nights just to do something different. Dinners were very inexpensive.

Good luck planning your trip, Mark

I have stayed at Anthony's Key 6 times now and I have never had a bad experience. I love everything about it. The food is good, the diving is great and well run, the staff members are friendly and the view is gorgeous. I actually bought a house down the road from the resort, but it is rented for the next year, but I don't mind because it gives me an excuse to stay at AKR again. (I am headed back there in October for at least a week, hopefully two weeks.)

If you want more specific information, just let me know.

Dion :)

My S.O. and I just spent a very nice week of diving at Anthony's Key Resort, Roatan, Honduras November 27-December 4 (2004). December is the start of the rainy season. It was perfect weather - sunny and 85F. That is until 12/2. We received about 30 minutes of rain, then about an hour of rain the following day, then 2+ hours on 12/4 our day of departure. Not enough to worry about. Dives were not affected in the least.

Water temps were about 77F at 110 and 80-81F from 80 ft to the surface. Visibility was OK, a bit cloudy and getting slightly more so as the week went on. Reefs are in very good condition as AKR sits in the middle of a Marine Sanctuary. Lots of color, massive barrell sponges everywhere, lots of fish! I'd never seen so many large schools of juvenile parrottfish, blue tangs, others. Not many moray eels, but plenty of groupers, hogfish, large porcupine puffers, massive king crabs... Toadfish are all over, but very tricky to find. You can hear them croaking, but can't find the suckers to save your life! The reefs are perfectly built hiding for them. Our DM found a big fat one first day out, as well as a baby seahorse.

For extra fees you can schedule dolphin encounter, dolphin dive and/or shark dive. They also offer a 3-tank trip to Barbaretta for an additional $85. There is also a shore dive facility on the far north side of Anthony's Key.

The resort was VERY laid back and focused primarily on divers. The cabins were spacious and clean with daily maid service. Air conditioned units were worth the extra charge. Ours was at the far end of the key with plenty of privacy and a spectacular view of the sunsets. Cabins are scattered about the key and on the hill by the office/bar/restaurant. Some are by themselves where others are in sets of 2's and 3's with balcony, covered porch, &/or open porches. All with hammocks and chairs. Guests take a very short ride by water taxi between the main dock, Anthony's key, and Bailey's key. One of the drivers even took us on an impromptu cruise around the bay one evening to see the stars.

The food was pretty good and definitely plentiful. Meals were served three times a day during 2-hour serving sessions. Waiters and staff were very personable and friendly. Lunch served after the first two morning dives. Dinner was served well after the night dives so no conflicts between eating and diving. Each meal had a choice of a "surf" or "turf" entree with soup or salad. Or upon request you can have all of it if you can't decide. Bar has Happy Hour on Mon, Wed, and Fri with 2 for 1 drinks that were strong! If that's not enough, the nearby town of West End has all sorts of bars, nite clubs, and restaurants.

Not much of a "beach resort" but there were a couple of areas on each of the keys to catch some rays and relax. They also have several sea kayaks. You can paddle over to the dolphin pen, around the keys, or over to the Institute for Marine Sciences where they have twice daily dolphin shows with Q&A sessions. They offer free daily horseback riding and have a massage therapist for hire at $40/hr.

On Monday all of the dive boats take off with 2 tanks per diver then everyone goes to Tabiani Beach in West Bay for a nice leisurely lunch before the third dive. From there, guests can opt to go on a zip-line tour during the long surface interval.

There is a cabin for hanging up your wet gear overnight so you only needed to take your regulators and really expensive accessories back to your cabin each evening. That isn't mandatory but they had an incident where a console was damaged by a dropped weight belt by a guest. The room is locked and guarded overnight.

The boats were spacious - 14 divers max on their 8 Pro 42's. Each guest is assigned to a boat for the week. Typically you will have the same DM and boat captain for the week as well. Both were very friendly and very helpful with getting into and out of the water. If you don't like the people on your boat, they will let you change to another upon request.

They also have 4 Pro 48's for the full day trips and to accommodate the cruise ship crowds. Speaking of which, you hardly knew they were there! AKR staggers their dive trips so that the resort guests are in no way compromised by the day-trippers. They only time we even knew they were on the premises is when 20 or so at a time were taken by the bigger water taxi's to Bailey's Key for the Dolphin Encounters.

Boats have large dedicated fresh water tubs for cameras only, and a camera table that's not always camera only - photogs have to ask the other divers to not put their personal gear on it as the DM's didn't push the issue. They stopped processing E6 on site but still process print film daily and offered downloading and CD burning services for the digital crowd. Hopefully I'll have some decent photos to post soon. Gotta get 'em processed then reviewed then scanned (I still shoot slide film

This place is ideal for anything from singles, to couples, to large dive clubs or dive shop trips. They can accommodate close to 200 divers who are serious about diving.

Thanks for all the info!

diveski01:
My S.O. and I just spent a very nice week of diving at Anthony's Key Resort, Roatan, Honduras November 27-December 4 (2004). December is the start of the rainy season. It was perfect weather - sunny and 85F. That is until 12/2. We received about 30 minutes of rain, then about an hour of rain the following day, then 2+ hours on 12/4 our day of departure. Not enough to worry about. Dives were not affected in the least.

Water temps were about 77F at 110 and 80-81F from 80 ft to the surface. Visibility was OK, a bit cloudy and getting slightly more so as the week went on. Reefs are in very good condition as AKR sits in the middle of a Marine Sanctuary. Lots of color, massive barrell sponges everywhere, lots of fish! I'd never seen so many large schools of juvenile parrottfish, blue tangs, others. Not many moray eels, but plenty of groupers, hogfish, large porcupine puffers, massive king crabs... Toadfish are all over, but very tricky to find. You can hear them croaking, but can't find the suckers to save your life! The reefs are perfectly built hiding for them. Our DM found a big fat one first day out, as well as a baby seahorse.

For extra fees you can schedule dolphin encounter, dolphin dive and/or shark dive. They also offer a 3-tank trip to Barbaretta for an additional $85. There is also a shore dive facility on the far north side of Anthony's Key.

The resort was VERY laid back and focused primarily on divers. The cabins were spacious and clean with daily maid service. Air conditioned units were worth the extra charge. Ours was at the far end of the key with plenty of privacy and a spectacular view of the sunsets. Cabins are scattered about the key and on the hill by the office/bar/restaurant. Some are by themselves where others are in sets of 2's and 3's with balcony, covered porch, &/or open porches. All with hammocks and chairs. Guests take a very short ride by water taxi between the main dock, Anthony's key, and Bailey's key. One of the drivers even took us on an impromptu cruise around the bay one evening to see the stars.

The food was pretty good and definitely plentiful. Meals were served three times a day during 2-hour serving sessions. Waiters and staff were very personable and friendly. Lunch served after the first two morning dives. Dinner was served well after the night dives so no conflicts between eating and diving. Each meal had a choice of a "surf" or "turf" entree with soup or salad. Or upon request you can have all of it if you can't decide. Bar has Happy Hour on Mon, Wed, and Fri with 2 for 1 drinks that were strong! If that's not enough, the nearby town of West End has all sorts of bars, nite clubs, and restaurants.

Not much of a "beach resort" but there were a couple of areas on each of the keys to catch some rays and relax. They also have several sea kayaks. You can paddle over to the dolphin pen, around the keys, or over to the Institute for Marine Sciences where they have twice daily dolphin shows with Q&A sessions. They offer free daily horseback riding and have a massage therapist for hire at $40/hr.

On Monday all of the dive boats take off with 2 tanks per diver then everyone goes to Tabiani Beach in West Bay for a nice leisurely lunch before the third dive. From there, guests can opt to go on a zip-line tour during the long surface interval.

There is a cabin for hanging up your wet gear overnight so you only needed to take your regulators and really expensive accessories back to your cabin each evening. That isn't mandatory but they had an incident where a console was damaged by a dropped weight belt by a guest. The room is locked and guarded overnight.

The boats were spacious - 14 divers max on their 8 Pro 42's. Each guest is assigned to a boat for the week. Typically you will have the same DM and boat captain for the week as well. Both were very friendly and very helpful with getting into and out of the water. If you don't like the people on your boat, they will let you change to another upon request.

They also have 4 Pro 48's for the full day trips and to accommodate the cruise ship crowds. Speaking of which, you hardly knew they were there! AKR staggers their dive trips so that the resort guests are in no way compromised by the day-trippers. They only time we even knew they were on the premises is when 20 or so at a time were taken by the bigger water taxi's to Bailey's Key for the Dolphin Encounters.

Boats have large dedicated fresh water tubs for cameras only, and a camera table that's not always camera only - photogs have to ask the other divers to not put their personal gear on it as the DM's didn't push the issue. They stopped processing E6 on site but still process print film daily and offered downloading and CD burning services for the digital crowd. Hopefully I'll have some decent photos to post soon. Gotta get 'em processed then reviewed then scanned (I still shoot slide film

This place is ideal for anything from singles, to couples, to large dive clubs or dive shop trips. They can accommodate close to 200 divers who are serious about diving.

Anthonys is quite nice. Great diving, boats, rooms, dolphins, people and location. Suggest you get an air conditioned room though. I am going back for a third year in a row in a few weeks. Highly reccommend the place.

Beej1123:
Hello everyone,

If anyone out there has been to Anthonys Key Resort please let me know what you thought about it.

Thanks
Bernadette

Great for K i d s !

I just got back from a week in Roatan, and stayed at CoCo View, on the south side. We enjoyed it there a lot but went to AKR for the dolphin dive. I would highly recommend the dolphin dive. It was an amazing experience. CoCo View is similar to AKR but more rustic and more laid back. The locker area is also nicer. The boats aren't as nice but were fine for what they needed to do. Many of the workers at CoCo View have worked there for many, many years, which speaks well of the place.

CoCo View has two nice walls, a shipwreck and an airplane wreck right off their shore. I was able to do 21 dives in 5½ days because they take you out on the boat in the morning and afternoon and then will drop you off at one of their walls on the way back each time. You can also walk out into the water and do a nice day or night dive whenever you like.

Joel

I actually got married at AKR in Sept 2003 and we are going back for our anniversary this year. We loved everything about the resort. The diving was great (did 3 dives before I tied the knot but skipped the night dive on my wedding night). We really enjoyed the food. My wife especially enjoyed the daily soups. I would recommend that you also do the zip course available on the island. We loved the dolphin encounter and dolphin dive! The cook-out on the key was great fun. I'm looking forward to defending my hermit crab race title next month. We use to say that we would visit a new island every year but we couldn't beat anthony's for the overall experience. Something tells me we will be returning many times in the years to come.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom