Road trip to FL to dive in May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes. And sounds like Palm Beach will try to limit access to public beaches to county residents. Apparently more out of fear of people coming from Miami, where beaches are still closed, than people coming from out of state. Not clear yet whether they will enforce the restriction through parking restrictions or by having police check IDs at entry points to the beach — apparently both have been proposed, and the county is mulling that.

One thing that means is that the Blue Heron Bridge would be off limits to non county residents.
That is a real problem, Miami folks flocking North.

I drove to Miami a couple weeks ago to drop off birthday gifts for nieces. There didn't appear to much of a change in people behavior down there.

People are our their own worst enemies....

Airbnbs are allowed to take reservations beginning May 1. I have an Airbnb credit from a trip in March that I cancelled due to this whole situation. The Airbnb owner says that she'll gladly book me. Dive shops/charters are reopening May 1.

The main thing holding me back at the moment is that the beaches at Jupiter are still closed. My Airbnb is just a block away from the beach, and I'd be going with my daughter, for whom the beach is a principal attraction. Not worth going if she can't even put a toe in the sand. Hopefully beaches reopen soon, even if it's just to walk/run/swim in the ocean.
Just a heads up, Theres a few Airnbs near me in North Florida that have had vehicle tags from NY, North Carolina, Tennessee, Michigan, etc the past few weeks. With no full days in between. I have no idea how well these are being cleaned so fast between guests. Just something to think about. At least with a motel or hotel they have cleaning services on staff.

Well, Monroe County isn't just the keys. It goes over to the south west coast too...

I personally don't understand why anyone would want to travel through the hot spots in Florida to get to the keys...

But I'm also happy to sit in my house, in Broward county too.
No one will catch Wuhan coronavirus from their car on the interstate while passing through the "hot spots". And Miami is not New York.

Just a heads up, Theres a few Airnbs near me in North Florida that have had vehicle tags from NY, North Carolina, Tennessee, Michigan, etc the past few weeks. With no full days in between. I have no idea how well these are being cleaned so fast between guests. Just something to think about. At least with a motel or hotel they have cleaning services on staff.

Interesting point, but I think it's unreasonable to expect that any Airbnb or hotel for that matter will be completely sterilized. For one thing, the person doing the cleaning is a breathing human being. I'd be perfectly satisfied with pre-COVID levels of cleanliness: freshly laundered sheets and towels, and clean (to the eye) kitchens and bathrooms.

My bigger concern at the moment is that it's unclear that southern FL Airbnbs are being allowed to rent. There seems to be a patchwork of restrictions. Jupiter, where I was planning to stay, is not allowing Airbnb reservations until June 1 at the earliest, apparently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom