Road trip advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdiver2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I will be doing a road trip Sep 12 - 26 the plan so far. From Portland drive to Yellowstone, I was thinking of going 84 E, 11N, 12 E, 93 S, 43 E, 15 S, 90 E, 287 S, 87 E, 20 E. Any comments on the route will be welcome.

Then its back to Portland and a drive down the coast road, so far I have two must see places, Hecata Head lighthouse and Crater Lake. Any suggestions on must see places, I am interested in nature/scenic photography.

Thanks for any help/suggestions

I wouldn't return to Portland. I would return by a southern route and hit the other spots on the way north (back to Portland).

I wouldn't return to Portland. I would return by a southern route and hit the other spots on the way north (back to Portland).

After pouring over maps I had decided to come back on 20 most of the way and that will bring us to Crater lake and the a drive up 101.

However whilst planing the trip I realized we go through Columbia Gorge I think the wife may need a crow bar to get me to come out of there

I love Crater Lake! When I lived in Tacoma, that is where we went camping every month during the summer! You can dive there BTW! Crater Lake :: Central Oregon Diving I think that is one of the most beautiful and just relaxing places I have been! Enjoy!

Carolyn:shark2:

I love Crater Lake! When I lived in Tacoma, that is where we went camping every month during the summer! You can dive there BTW! Crater Lake :: Central Oregon Diving I think that is one of the most beautiful and just relaxing places I have been! Enjoy!

Thats one of the things I wanted to know (can you get down to the waters edge)
All the photos I have seen are taken from the top looking down oh hum. Now all I have to do is find a way to get down on the east and west side for sun rise/set.

Thanks again

There is a switchback path...about a mile long that will take you to the water's edge. There are boats there that will do tours around the lake and you can get off on Wizard's Island ( I think that is the name) and you can stay there till the next boat comes by. I wasn't diving back then, but was big into bicyling. The crater is 33.5 miles around and there is a road the entire way around the crater. The elevation is the challenge. You will definitely enjoy the crater, and keep an eye to the sky at night, this time of year should give you a great show of meteors. Take lots of mosquito repellent!

There is a switchback path...about a mile long that will take you to the water's edge. There are boats there that will do tours around the lake and you can get off on Wizard's Island ( I think that is the name) and you can stay there till the next boat comes by. I wasn't diving back then, but was big into bicyling. The crater is 33.5 miles around and there is a road the entire way around the crater. The elevation is the challenge. You will definitely enjoy the crater, and keep an eye to the sky at night, this time of year should give you a great show of meteors. Take lots of mosquito repellent!

mosquito repellent I thought it would be a little on the cold side for mosquitoes at this time of year, so once again thanks for the info. Memo to self pack deet.

I was thinking of doing some long exposure night photos to get the stars so meteors will be a plus.

Crater Lake National Park

The Cleetwood Trail is the one you take to get down to the water and boat dock. Going down is easy, going back up is a killer! LOL! There are lots of "rest benches" along the way. Definitely post a report of your trip! I am definitely jealous!

Crater Lake National Park

The Cleetwood Trail is the one you take to get down to the water and boat dock. Going down is easy, going back up is a killer! LOL! There are lots of "rest benches" along the way. Definitely post a report of your trip! I am definitely jealous!

If I get back alive, I plan on hiking up a river (up to 3 feet deep) in Columbia Gorge and hope to get photos of a lot of the big wildlife in Yellowstone. My wife tells me I will not die of natural causes, ah well as long as I get the photo :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom