RK3 HDs and diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TalyonUngol

Registered
Reaction score
So I am a new diver and im out here in Florida. I purchased a pair of RK3 HDs from the dive shop. They recommended them as a solid all round choice for diving with just 5mm booties((no wetsuit overall.)).

Now, i don't wanna say they are wrong of course but I am a nervous person when it comes to purchasing things like this. So, how does the RK3 HDs perform in all manners of diving from just 5mm booties to shorties, to 3mms and higher up? Are these fins just for dry suits or will they work well for warm tropical waters?

Please And thank you for helping to alleviate any concerns.

I am a fairly new diver so i guess ill have to practice and get better. Ill have to experiment with trim and such.

The basic RK3 and not the HDs are better [for me] in warmer water.
Can you try both first?

Money is super tight and i ended up purchasing the HDS for my trip. I will see how tomorrow's 4 dives go. I cannot try them sadly.

I had the same fins with 5mm booties, rash guards and shorts, i found myself foot heavy. I had to replace it with OMS Slipstreams.

I used them for 80 dives in rash guard and 7mm booties. I liked them a lot. Especially appreciated them when I dove 2-3 tanks.

So along those lines I am debating between the RK3 and RK3 HDs. Currently I dive mostly warm water but plan to do drysuit diving in cold water in the coming year, and then some wreck diving over time.

If I could only get one fin what would people recommend between the two? From what I have read the HDs are probably better for the drysuit (to be more foot heavy), but would the HDs be overkill in a wetsuit?

(Currently dive moderately stiff old US divers fins from 1994. I like them but one of the things I'd like to get is a bit more power and a spring strap. I can't stand fumbling with the old school strap as I get in the water!)

Any thoughts appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom