RK3 HDs and diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would be interested to hear if anyone can speak to the stiffness of the RK3 HD fins compared to some of the other stiffer fins out there like the Jets, Eddies, XTs, Slipstreams etc.

I would be interested to hear if anyone can speak to the stiffness of the RK3 HD fins compared to some of the other stiffer fins out there like the Jets, Eddies, XTs, Slipstreams etc.
If that helps:

Here's what i tell new divers....

Short fins like RK3s and Jets are not the most efficient fins out there. A fin is a lever and longer levers give you more mechanical advantage. Physics!

Where short fins like the jets and RK3s shine is in maneuverability because they have lots of sharp edges and vents to give you more torque with less effort. This is also great for frog kicking, which tends to be slower but is very comfortable and efficient, also beneficial over silt bottom. Scuba isn't a race (most of the time) so slow efficient kicks can be a very good thing.

Jets are stiffer and heavier; RK3s are less so. If you scissor kick hard with the jets especially, and to a lesser extent with the RK3s, they are poweful but very demanding. You get tired pretty quickly. Longer fins tend to work better for this (see leverage).

Fin weight is only one element of horizontal trim. It also has a lot to do with tank buoyancy and position, weight distribution, body composition and exposure protection etc. Fin weight can alleviate or exaccerbate trim issues but it is just part of the big picture.

Bottom line -- you really don't know what is going to work for you until you get in the water and kick around. RK3s are good fins for most people though.

So along those lines I am debating between the RK3 and RK3 HDs. Currently I dive mostly warm water but plan to do drysuit diving in cold water in the coming year, and then some wreck diving over time.

If I could only get one fin what would people recommend between the two? From what I have read the HDs are probably better for the drysuit (to be more foot heavy), but would the HDs be overkill in a wetsuit?

(Currently dive moderately stiff old US divers fins from 1994. I like them but one of the things I'd like to get is a bit more power and a spring strap. I can't stand fumbling with the old school strap as I get in the water!)

Any thoughts appreciated.

HD’s are definitely not overkill for wet diving, however more neutral fins are suits better.

I had both Apeks RK3 models, now I am using OMS Slipstreams and Scubapro Jets and soon I will be adding Deep6 Eddy into inventory.

In terms of stiffness Apeks isn’t that stiff specially non HD is very very flimsy. For the people with age or weak leg muscles can be very beneficial though however I didn’t like the feedback I received.

For HD model, by bearing same or similar weight jet fin type models (OMS or Deep6) is better bang for buck for each kick.

However best side of the Apeks those are really compact fins.

HD’s are definitely not overkill for wet diving, however more neutral fins are suits better.

I had both Apeks RK3 models, now I am using OMS Slipstreams and Scubapro Jets and soon I will be adding Deep6 Eddy into inventory.

In terms of stiffness Apeks isn’t that stiff specially non HD is very very flimsy. For the people with age or weak leg muscles can be very beneficial though however I didn’t like the feedback I received.

For HD model, by bearing same or similar weight jet fin type models (OMS or Deep6) is better bang for buck for each kick.

However best side of the Apeks those are really compact fins.
I'm interested in the compact nature of the RK3s but I don't want them to be as floppy as the regular model. On the other hand, I have some lifelong injuries. I'm a disabled veteran, I've had multiple knee and ankle surgeries, so I'm not looking for the stiffest option either. Bottom line I'm looking for the Goldilocks fin. Something stiff enough to deal with a current. Not so stiff that I'm in pain for my whole dive trip. Compact enough to allow for good maneuverability. The RK3 HDs are stiffer than the regular RK3s. If their flexibility is like half way between the regular model and some of the really stiff jet fins, they may be a good overall fit. I typically wear full sole 6mm wetsuit boots so that should offset the negative buoyancy. I have been looking seriously at the SP Go Sport based on many recommendations here but I would prefer steel spring straps to the bungee. Maybe I would be happy with those if I got replacement metal attachment pins and spare straps I can take on a trip in case they break. Still thinking...

I'm interested in the compact nature of the RK3s but I don't want them to be as floppy as the regular model. On the other hand, I have some lifelong injuries. I'm a disabled veteran, I've had multiple knee and ankle surgeries, so I'm not looking for the stiffest option either. Bottom line I'm looking for the Goldilocks fin. Something stiff enough to deal with a current. Not so stiff that I'm in pain for my whole dive trip. Compact enough to allow for good maneuverability. The RK3 HDs are stiffer than the regular RK3s. If their flexibility is like half way between the regular model and some of the really stiff jet fins, they may be a good overall fit. I typically wear full sole 6mm wetsuit boots so that should offset the negative buoyancy. I have been looking seriously at the SP Go Sport based on many recommendations here but I would prefer steel spring straps to the bungee. Maybe I would be happy with those if I got replacement metal attachment pins and spare straps I can take on a trip in case they break. Still thinking...

RK3 HD’s will probably work for you then. Mares Quattro Avanti also gets a lots of love but they don’t come with springs.

Something stiff enough to deal with a current. Not so stiff that I'm in pain for my whole dive trip. Compact enough to allow for good maneuverability. The RK3 HDs are stiffer than the regular RK3s. If their flexibility is like half way between the regular model and some of the really stiff jet fins, they may be a good overall fit. I
Right exactly where I am as well. I am worried the regular RK3 may be a bit too floppy and wonder if the HD (with a 6.5 mm wetsuit boot I usually use) may work.

RK3 HD’s will probably work for you then. Mares Quattro Avanti also gets a lots of love but they don’t come with springs.
Agreed, I have tried the mares quattros. They are very good fins.

Recently I dove Jets then RK3HDs in dry suit and doubles when someone wanted to try my jets after a surface interval. Precise finning like back kick and helicopter, the RK3s shine. The jets are much better for speed and distance IMHO. It depends on what your preference is.

Recently I dove Jets then RK3HDs in dry suit and doubles when someone wanted to try my jets after a surface interval. Precise finning like back kick and helicopter, the RK3s shine. The jets are much better for speed and distance IMHO. It depends on what your preference is.
If you were to estimate where the HDs reside in stiffness between a floppy fin like the regular RK3s and the Jets, where would you say they are? Thanks.

I haven’t dove the regular ones, but wouldn’t want them any softer than the HDs in my opinion. Roughly 2 kicks of the jets for every 3 for the RK3HD. It’s just my opinion and I’m a big guy with drysuit and doubles. It may be different for different configurations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom