Ripped Off By Lds?????????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are a couple of way’s to look at this. Are they ripping you off as a private citizen customer or are they ripping you off as a PSD thinking they are going to get all they can from a government agency.

Trying to rip me off as a customer is one thing and it’s basically buyer beware.

Trying to rip off a PSD, whether it is from an individual’s pocket or a government treasury, really tees me off.

Here locally it better not happen. With only 2 LDS some bad press goes a long way in hurting business.

The shop we have worked out of for years got a little testy when the new owners took over. That didn’t last long and now we have a good working relationship, so far.

This is getting off the diving but staying with the rip off theme.

I was getting material bids for building an MS Parade Float. Went to a local steel dealer with an extensive list of various size steel. Got the bid back and they said they give us a super deal being that it was going to MS. The bid came back at $1900.00.

That seemed high so I called with the same order, to the same salesman, and got a bid of just over $1300.00. So still in shock, I call again to confirm the order for MS. Yes sir we have it all on hand for a pick-up and we gave you 25% off seeing how it is for MS. Is it $1900.00 before or after the 25% off? Your bill sir will be $1900.00 plus tax.

Called another company 20 miles away. Didn’t say anything about MS and the same list drew a bid of $1200.00. They asked what it was for and I told them an MS Parade Float. When I picked up the steel they lowered the bill to just over $900.00.

Talk about someone trying to screw someone and a charity to boot. I confronted them with this after I picked up the order from the other company. They refused to discuss it and just said the quality of their steel was superior to the other company.

So, let’s see. The steel for MS was $600.00 better than the same steel going to a private citizen from the same stockpile. That ended our conversation.

I will do everything in my power to turn any business I can away from them and send it to the other company.

Some people are just plain greedy. If they see a deep or deeper pocket they will try and get into it any way they can.

Gary D.

Are you asking as a PSD? or as a normal customer? If the latter, isn't it the customers job to do the research?

If you are asking if I've ever felt like I could have gotten a better deal, sure...heh

But that is also true of car deals, house deals, etc.

OK GUYS .... for several years I worked part time for a shop in Houston. Yes the LDS are more expensive but they provide services that the web can't match. For one they are there to answer questions and help with problems. Ever try to get an answer from you E Bay seller after you paid and left his rateing. Another thing is there is a lot of counterfit stuff out there ...... recently the SCUBAPRO NIGHTHAWK BC is an example . Prices are not set in stone .... try dealing with the guy. At our shop students got 10 to 20% off while taking classes. Also we often closed the deal by giving free air fill cards or providing free yearly inspections on the reg. for 5 years (customer buys replacement parts and the labor was free). Your dive shop owner can be your best friend. He wants your return business and wants you to refer friends to his shop but he has to make a profit to stay in business. You won't make any friends when you try to return that "grey Market" stuff that broke. Sending back to NY or NJ to get it service under warrenty can be costly. Shop around ... A Dacor regulator at the LDS for $179.95 is a beter deal than the mail order place at $139.95 and you don't have to pay shipping. If you dive shop operator is really a crook he won't be around long. Before making the shop your home away from home ask around and see what people are saying about it. Divers in your area know the best places to do business and the places to stay away from.

Competition is good for the consumer, it brings our prices down. My "local dive shop" close to two hours away, is way over priced hence I do not shop there much. Everybody wants to say well, he has to make a profit. I guess the online stores dont make a profit? Now I'm not saying that LDS owners should match online prices but they need to be competitive or they will keep losing sales to online merchants. I can go on and on about profit and margins cause thats what I do, but suffice it to say how much profit did the LDS make off of the equipment I bought online? I like to support local buisness, but I don't care to get screwed by one.

Let's define "ripped off". Paying more at one place than what another place charges is NOT being ripped off. If that was the case, then you've been ripped off on almost everything you've ever bought. If a business is asking a certain price for a product, and you are willing to pay that price, then it's a fair deal. If you're not willing, then either negotiate, or move on, no hard feelings. If you find out later that you could have bought it cheaper, why is that the store owner's fault? He asked his price, and you paid it, simple as that. If price was that big a deal, it seems that you would have done your homework a little better. The earlier comparison to a convenience store was a good one. I never see anybody yelling about how they got ripped off on bread at 7-11, but they all want to get on the LDS. I've always felt that I couldn't price another man's merchandise for him. He knows better than anybody what his overhead is, I have no clue what it takes to keep him in business. I've also felt that anytime we agreed on a price, and I bought something, we both got a good deal. He got what he wanted, and so did I, regardless of what kind of great deal my buddy got down the road. Think about it, have you EVER bought a car and not had somebody tell you how much better a deal they got?...LOL
IMHO, the only times you get ripped off is when they've either misrepresented the item being bought, or not delivered at all. Anything else, you have complete control over.

Of course, that's just MY opinion, I could be wrong :D

thanks for all the replies,i propably should put that threat a little differend ,i worked in a lds and i widnessed that friends of mine have been ripped off (regular customers too) just in front of me and prices have been changed around overnight, so that the discount seemed greather.I also witnessed that people have been charged higher prices because they looked, that they could affort more. I dont work there no more!!! I like stores with priced ads,(Divers Unlimited for example)so you know where you,re hanging at.Some store owners try to make a quick dollar and then wonder when people buy over the net.Try walking in a store and pretend that you,re a newbie (for a change)and start inquiring for equipment and pricing,you,ll have a great chance that you,ll get screwed,i did it a few times and it,s funny what people do for the almighty dollar.........Peace and Pricebreaks...........

icyman:
I did my research and basically interviewed the guys at the shop after carefully do this I choose a dive shop. I may have paid a little more for some of my equipment in comparison to what I could buy it off of the internet. However the guys at the shop have to make a living as well, and as long as they keep the profit and the service a fair amount to me, I am happy with them. Even though I can buy the same Cobra off the internet for 559 instead of 750, I stick with the guys at the shop because they have been a great source of imformation and help. Besides what kind of SERVICE do I get from webpages? Nada. Zilch, I have however been ripped off by some diveshops in other areas, they weren't my local shop though.

My ultimate responce would be always do some thorough research before dealing with anyone.

This is a good point. I have been with the same dive shop for 13 years. Most of their prices are similar to what they are on the internet. Like going to these guys because they give me a lot of perks and never turn me down when my equipment is in need. As long as you do your research before online you should be fine. Support the good guys!

Back
Top Bottom