Ripening Wetsuit booties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjpv

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi folks,

Just back from vacation, where every day I was either diving or snorkeling.

I used my 7mm booties with my fins (what I had) even though it is fairly hot and humid on location. I washed said booties out with fresh water after each use, but they never were really able to dry before I needed them again.

So, towards the end of my trip, my booties took on a rather unfortunate smell. Reminded me of rotting seaweed on a beach.

I'm afraid to try something drastic like throwing them in the washer (don't want to ruin them) but I do want to remove the smell. Any suggestions? Also helpful would be advice on avoiding the smell in the first place. Thanks!

Use 1 part white vinegar mixed with 3 parts water - fill boots and let them sit for an hour of so, then dump out that mixture and use a little Simple Green or liquid laundry detergent and some water, slosh that around, rinse and let dry naturally. On your next trip, take two pairs of boots and some of those Sink the stink single use packs. Wash your boots out every night and give them 24 hours to dry.

BTDT,

Jackie

Mirazyme, an enzyme-based cleaner, works well for me. I take small bottles on a trip to use mid-trip, then give everything a good soak when I get home. Otherwise, it sounds like you were doing the right things. It's pretty hard to avoid smelly booties when you are diving everyday on vacation.

And when they wear out, pick up some Henderson Insta-Dry booties. No more stink, no more hassles. For real.

Putting them in the washer will not ruin them. Cooking them with a really hot drying cycle will.

I wash and then "delicate" dry my wetsuits, boots, etc. all the time.

Peter

rjpv:
I'm afraid to try something drastic like throwing them in the washer (don't want to ruin them) but I do want to remove the smell.

I ususally try to bend the "upper" back some and then place them over whatever A/C vent I am around overnight to try them out.

Brent

I've tried the Mirazyme.. didn't work so well for me. However, pine sol does! I use the lemon fresh! In fact, I did 6 dives this weekend, and just put my boots in a 5 gallon bucket with hot water and pine sol. Put my wetsuit in there too for good measure. Then I soak them in freshwater, and let them dry.

These are all great suggestions for cleaning... I think the 1 thing that will make the most impact is how long you let them dry (very important) if you use soap, vinager, simplegreen, whatever... if you don't allow your booties or wetsuit to dry completely.... it's gonna reek!

The trick to nice booties is to dry them every day.

The trick to drying them every day is to make a unit that holds the booties toe up at an angle so water can drain and force air through the boot at the same time.
I made mine with PVC and a small 12VDC fan.

Once a stinky culture is thriving use "Sink the Stink" and then go back to drying every time.

Back
Top Bottom