Ripcurl zipless... useless for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gwyd1982

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ive got a Ripcurl 4/3mm zipless wetsuit. Obviously this is designed for surfing (and also designed so it takes ages to donn and doff! :shakehead: ), but does anyone use a similar zipless wetsuit for warm water diving? I am wondering if too much water will flush through the suit? You have to squeeze in the shoulder part then stretch the neck over your head, then there are simple draw stings to tighten the shoulder and neck seals...:confused: (if you understood that then well done!)

Anyone know what im on about? or does anyone use one? :eyebrow: Thanks.

Since I only own "surfing" wetsuits, that's what I dive. I dive an O'neill Mutant 5/4 (which also has a squeeze in through the neck zipperless design) for SoCal 60-70 deg F. water and have had no problems with flush. But the O'neill doesn't use drawstrings. You squeeze into it and then zip on a hood or neck attachment to seal everything-up. Given that this is mainly my winter surf suit, I also haven't had any issues with flushing while surfing.

Probably not totally useless. Just less than ideal

I use nothing but surf suits when i travel. my 4/3 is one of my favorite suits. definatly not useless...

2 thumbs up for surf suits in diving...if they can handle a wave pounding on top of you, they can handle water moving slowly around you.

2 thumbs up for surf suits in diving...if they can handle a wave pounding on top of you, they can handle water moving slowly around you.

2' of water at the surface does not compress your neoprene the way 30-60+ feet does. It's NOT the same.

That said, if you're diving somewhere warm enough that a 3/4mm scuba wetsuit would suffice, the surfing version would probably work just as well.

And surf suits are designed for flexibility. Which is nice wherever you use it....

I have 3 wetsuits...all Oniell, 2 surf and one diving J suit...all made of the same material just the thickness changes. I am not sure about other brands.
O

Back
Top Bottom