RIP Dr. Bill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Terribly sad news. Back in 2012 Bill contacted me when I was in Alabama for the Gabe Watson murder trial and we had some discussions about the case. I really loved reading all his posts. Will be missed by huge numbers on this forum.

We added the dive flags at half mast image to the Passings forum description and to the Smilies for members that might want to use it.

:halfmast:

It is located in the Diving section:

1640279483020.png

Yes, I know there is a petition... but I don't know that the petition carries any interest from the City [Council?].... Especially from an online source vs. handing them a significant paper signed document (I work in local government, been there, seen that) Something like plaquing a bench can be accomplished even without as much action as renaming a site..... That photo of him at the bench is a true representation of what happened there, and seems fitting.

I'd love to see the "park" renamed, but don't know if the petition/request carries enough weight....

Are local Shops and Stores involved? How large of a base (number) of signatures will be obtained?

Has there been any comment from the City in regard to his passing?

Plan "B" if it looses momentum?
We started discussions a few years ago as we wanted to honor him while he was still with us. The process is slow due to working with both the city of Avalon and the Catalina Island Conservancy, and now the dive park is in a Marine Protected Area (MPA). We discussed then and will discuss again any and all options that make sense. The City officials were very aware of the petition and a few of us that were involved in it had discussions directly with them. And yes, public input does get their attention.

I understand your questions but this is very new and we are still working some of the details out. Shops and Stores can and will be contacted at some point, and I have no idea how many signatures we will get, but we added over 500 in the first day, so there is strong momentum.

Damn, I log on after a long dry spell and see this. Brings back a lot of memories. A great lose to society.

We started discussions a few years ago as we wanted to honor him while he was still with us. The process is slow due to working with both the city of Avalon and the Catalina Island Conservancy, and now the dive park is in a Marine Protected Area (MPA). We discussed then and will discuss again any and all options that make sense. The City officials were very aware of the petition and a few of us that were involved in it had discussions directly with them. And yes, public input does get their attention.

I understand your questions but this is very new and we are still working some of the details out. Shops and Stores can and will be contacted at some point, and I have no idea how many signatures we will get, but we added over 500 in the first day, so there is strong momentum.

If the petition is not successful, but a plaque is all that is allowed, please start a fund raising effort, I will gladly contribute.

Damn it. I had zero interaction with him, but always really appreciated his posts. He was the genuine article and a great guy from what I saw. Peace and love to his family and friends.

**** cancer ❤️

**** cancer

It is a horrible disease. We have all lost friends and family to it. My wife was an oncology research nurse so it made it even closer to home for us. She saw this on a patient's door in the hospital who was a veteran:

Caution! You are entering a war zone​

Terrorist enemy combatant cancer cells are NOT entitled to protections under the Geneva Convention. Field commanders may deploy special forces in addition to chemical, biological, and radiological weapons at will. Rules of engagement dictate taking no prisoners except for intelligence gathering. All attempts at diplomacy with this decentralized, mindless, and brutal adversary will result in further entrenchment.

The enemy is adept at hiding among innocent populations and commandeering provisions. Expect collateral damage, loss of front line troops, and senseless destruction of renewable resources.

Military to Medical Translation:​

• Field Commanders = Oncologists
  • Special Forces = Surgical Oncologists, for surgical strikes
  • Chemical Weapons = Chemotherapy
  • Biological Weapons = Monoclonal antibodies, genomic therapies, etc.
  • Radiological Weapons = Radiation and proton therapy
  • Intelligence Gathering = Biopsies
  • Diplomacy = Denial
  • Collateral Damage = Nausea, mucositis, skin damage, etc.
  • Front Line Troops = White blood cells
  • Renewable Resources = Hair

RIP Dr Bill
Gonna miss those articles.....

In case you missed it, we have just made them easier to find:

There are about 680 Dive Dry with Dr. Bill threads.

Back
Top Bottom