rinsing gear in a drought

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

socaljohn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Wondering if someone has a low water use way to rinse your gear here in So Cal.

I use a 30 gal bin that I fill with less than 20 gal of water and use that to rinse.

Let's keep hoping for rain.

I just hose it off. You could always just put it in the shower with you. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've thought about this. I usually do a "wholesale rinse" of gear & camera rig in my driveway after a day of diving. The hose usually stays on for a good 15 to 20 minutes'ish. I now turn the hose off when not using, and on when I need. I still fill up a small rinse bucket, as well to soak regs, housings, dive computer, etc. With that said, I live alone and am "just waiting for one of my neighbors to say something" about me rinsing gear. Mind you all my immediate neighbors have no less than 3 people living under one roof. My point being my water bill undoubtedly is WAY LESS than everyone else. But yes, I am conscious or our "lack of water", especially here in California.

There's no drought. It's a conserberal lie.....sorry.

I reuse my rinse tub until it scares me. Usually by the third rinse.

My rinse water gets drained / dumped on my lawn and a planter. Don't leave the hose running and I can almost always do all my gear with one fill.

Go cave diving in Florida?

During a drought in NJ-during the 1970s-people used the "hose on-hose off" method, the bucket method, and the "in the shower" method already described. One guy took it a step further: he used the bucket method, then (as lawn watering was prohibited) he used the leftover water to fill the toilet tank as needed.He claimed that it saved "quite a bit" of water, and got his gear cleaned, too.

I'm soaking my BC, gauges, similar and reg in a garage sink with very warm water (reg hooked up to pony) then after removing them to dry I've been re-using that water to soak wetsuit and hood & booties...I figure the water will be slightly saltier than original tap but probably that miniscule amount of salt is harmless on wetsuit & booties.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom