Rigging Your DSMB- A New Take On An Old Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would probably turn the double-ender around to get the opening farther away from the spool attaching point.

Or keep it in your pocket...

:)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200205-132849_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200205-132849_Chrome.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 245
@Scuba Cobra - yes, I rig my spools like that but it is nearly impossible to do with cold water gloves. Also, the complexity of a rigged dsmb /spool makes this a challenge.

YMMV

Neat. Here's the set-up I use:

As an alternative to Ray's great idea

My method doesn't require the double ender as a means to hold the line onto the spool

I have a small bungee loop attached to teh end on my spool line (I make my spools easily detachable for various reasons) the bungee loop could easily be attached to dsmb

upload_2020-2-7_11-46-47.png

When wound up its the bungee which keeps the line on the spool. Simply pulling the spool away from dsmb pulls the bungee loop off, so no fiddling

upload_2020-2-7_11-48-55.png

I do use a double ender as a secondary attachment of the spool (to me) which I then use on the ascent. Also attaching bungee at the surface is easy and prevent spool being dropped when handing it up on a boat

I use different sizes and the one in the video is a little different than the others because it came with a bolt snap sewn into the webbing of the dsmb. Here is a before and after picture of my wife’s.
View attachment 566240
View attachment 566241
If you move the bolt snap to the left in those pictures, the lever will press on the spool opening the gate.

If you move the bolt snap to the left in those pictures, the lever will press on the spool opening the gate.
Yes that is true but try it. In the after picture, with the double loop of line around the jaw of the double ender, it is still attached to you unless you are really really trying to get it to clear the spool and both loops of line at once. (edit to add, If the line loop is tight it will come out too) The gate will snap back closed with a loop of line still through it. There is a more complicated way where you loop the line around the lever of the double ender but I don't use it as it doesn't seem to be necessary any more.

I store mine behind me on my crotch strap kind of sitting on top of my butt when diving. That makes it possible to sit on it or hit it when bankrolling off a boat. If I clipped it somewhere else or put it in a pocket that would be less likely. I would still use the bungee through the spool to keep it more compact and secure.

I use different sizes and the one in the video is a little different than the others because it came with a bolt snap sewn into the webbing of the dsmb. Here is a before and after picture of my wife’s.
View attachment 566240
View attachment 566241

Yes that is true but try it. In the after picture, with the double loop of line around the jaw of the double ender, it is still attached to you unless you are really really trying to get it to clear the spool and both loops of line at once. The gate will snap back closed with a loop of line still through it. There is a more complicated way where you loop the line around the lever of the double ender but I don't use it as it doesn't seem to be necessary any more.

I store mine behind me on my crotch strap kind of sitting on top of my butt when diving. That makes it possible to sit on it or hit it when bankrolling off a boat. If I clipped it somewhere else or put it in a pocket that would be less likely. I would still use the bungee through the spool to keep it more compact and secure.

If you accidentally sit on the smb when you are gearing up on the boat, it will cause the bolt snap to release. Then when you stand up to get ready to dive, you will have a mess. Been there done that.

I rig mine like in the John Chatterton /smb thread posted a few days ago. Put a 1 inch bight of line through a hole in the smb and put the bolt snap through that.

Pretty much like this though I have my smb attached to the line with another bight of line and the plastic clip on the smb instead of using a ring.
IMG_0749.JPG

Back
Top Bottom