Rigging Your DSMB- A New Take On An Old Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RayfromTX

Student Of Gas Mixology
Staff member
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
There are many threads and many videos that have been done about rigging your DSMB so that it launches quickly and easily and doesn't come undone before you want it to with the resulting line trailing behind you. I have spent far too many hours trying to figure it out and I had a quite workable solution but I recently had another idea that I haven't seen mentioned before and I will be using this new method from here on.

I leave my spool attached to my DSMB so it is ready to launch. The only methods I have found that allows me to secure the line with a double ender securely, involve threading a loop of line through a hole in the spool and then attaching it to the double ender. That is a pain and especially so with gloves. If you just clip it with the double ender the gate can self open with some simple movement of the spool relative to the double ender.

I have created a video to show a new to me method of securing the spool so it can never come loose and trail behind you. It involves using a longer loop of bungee to secure the DSMB so that it can first pass through the spool thereby securing the spool to the DSMB and preventing it from becoming a 30 meter tail trailing behind you. I hope this helps new divers. Let me know if I've missed something. I'm sorry for the poor quality of the production.

Very interesting way of rigging the smb and spool. Thanks for sharing Ray.

I guess. Seems like it's just adding complication to me. All I do is wind the last few feet of line so they're on one side of the reel. This leaves the holes on the other side open enough for me to just clip the double-ender through one of the holes. I've never had it come off accidentally.

What size bungee are you using? Would you by chance have a close up picture that shows how it’s all rigged up?

What size bungee are you using? Would you by chance have a close up picture that shows how it’s all rigged up?
I use different sizes and the one in the video is a little different than the others because it came with a bolt snap sewn into the webbing of the dsmb. Here is a before and after picture of my wife’s.
upload_2020-2-4_18-14-55.jpeg

upload_2020-2-4_18-15-30.jpeg

Mine came with Velcro which I remove and replaced with two bungees.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom