Rigging for 2 left deco tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MechDiver farted.......
No, I am not getting into the DIR/non-DIR thing because its a waste of time. Thats why I don't go to rec.scuba anymore. I came here to ask a simple question, not get in a pissing match about DIR.

Then you shouldn't have made comments that you can't support.

This is typical someone makes some blanket statements about DIR when they don't have the experience or knowledge about it, and when called on it start crying foul and insisting on being treated nice.

Your lack of experience is all over your statement.

omar

omar once bubbled...

Then you shouldn't have made comments that you can't support.

This is typical someone makes some blanket statements about DIR when they don't have the experience or knowledge about it, and when called on it start crying foul and insisting on being treated nice.

Your lack of experience is all over your statement.

omar

Omar, if you can't play nice, or at least hum the tune, then please sit down and keep quiet. This guy didn't attack you, he didn't say DIR sucks, all he said was
I have been following that for years. Some of it works, some of it doesn't.
Turning every question into a DIR litmus test is not conducive to learning and attacking every apostate is counter-productive.

You're out of line.

Steven

reefraff once bubbled...
Ticked off the dark hordes, didn't you? Way to go! :thumb: I used to award points for this, but it's become so easy to do that I had to stop. :)

A couple of 40's will sling easily from the left side without banging around too much unless you've got your snap-bolts tied too close to the tanks. You don't need any special rigging, but I've found that large snap-bolts and an offset hip ring make things easier to work with.

Practice makes all things easier.

Steven

Steven,

Thank you for the very informative answer.

And yes, it is way too easy. And apparently automatic.

Phil

Mechdiver

Welcome to the board, you will always get guys like Omar on this forum..but you will also get some good ideas as well. you just need a little tuff skin and realize that some of these guys need to deffend their beliefs to the end.

I can't offer you advaice on your question, i wear them on both sides. i just wanted to say welcome and don't sweat the Omars on this board. he was obviously just looking to make it a DIR fight and you intelegently didn't buy into it.

wahat he was trying to do seems to have backfired on him as their are a lot of people from all camps tired of those types of tactics. It just makes him look bad.

reefraff once bubbled...

Turning every question into a DIR litmus test is not conducive to learning and attacking every apostate is counter-productive.

Steven

Steven,

I completely agree with you. I haven't been on the board very long, but it does seem every opportunity is used to get into the DIR/non-DIR argument. Is it just that the Omars out there are insecure, and looking to make themselves feel better? There's a book deal in this whole thing for the right psychologist.

See you on the bottom,
Al.

I was trained by a NON DIR Instructor. I find it interesting that Mechdivers instructor didn't show the various options in gear configuration, even though it was a mutual agreement not to. By showing the options, this very important part of the training course, he would have allowed Mechdiver the option to decide for himself how to rig his own configuration. It doesn't have to turn into a DIR fight. Both bottles on the left doesn't make it DIR. I know non DIR divers who mount both bottles on the left. These divers were given the option during their training and choose to mount them on the left. IT's not a DIR problem. The problem is the education wasn't enough to allow for a choice by the trainee. Gee sounds like the same thing DIR does....there's only one way to do it........ One other comment if you mount both bottles on the left you may want to check your trim based on where you mount your light....try it and make the adjustments before you do a deep dive....just my $.02...it ain't worth much...Friggincold

By showing the options, this very important part of the training course, he would have allowed Mechdiver the option to decide for himself how to rig his own configuration.

I agree, completely. I don't have enough good ideas of my own that I can afford to pass one up just because someone else thought of it first. No shame in that, I hope!

Steven

reefraff once bubbled...

I agree, completely. I don't have enough good ideas of my own that I can afford to pass one up just because someone else thought of it first. No shame in that, I hope!

Steven

I guess I have to agree with Omar (drat) in that statement being way too broad. I just shortened up the decision because I didn't want to argue.

I already knew of the stage on left option, primarily due to reading dir. The decision was made to not pursue this as the one on each side was more common, and that is what I wanted to use first. If I decided to, after the class, I could try the left side, or right side, or behind my back, or whatever I wanted to.

All things do not have to be shown/learned at once. That is why we have c-cards; to allow us to pursue knowledge and learn.

Friggin', hope that answers your question.

Phil

Friggincold once bubbled...
One other comment if you mount both bottles on the left you may want to check your trim based on where you mount your light....try it and make the adjustments before you do a deep dive....just my $.02...it ain't worth much...Friggincold

All comments are worth something. Both bottles on the left is a concern regarding trim as the argon is there also. My canister is small and fairly light so I also want to see how everything balances.

Thanks for the comment. BTW, I had already taken 3 other classes with my trimix instructor, so we had been over equipment options many times before. The only addition was a second deco bottle.

Phil

Hey MechDiver,

I have dived with two Al 40s deco bottles (70' and 20') and one Al 80 stage with no scooter. I had no problems with trim mainly due to have the canister light on my right. Not something I like to swim with but it was actually part of my Adv. Nitrox and Deco class (had an excellent instructor). Anyway, back to the bottles... we did this dive with three bottles on our left as well as our Argon bottle. The trick is place the O2 bottle on first, because it is the last one you will use. Then you attach the stage bottle (Al 80) which is the one you will breathe. Attach the 70' bottle to the hip D-ring with just the top snap (the one close to the valve). When you are swimming the 70' bottle has enough slack to trail behind you and out of the way.

After you have used almost all of the gas from the stage, simply unclip it from your D-rings. The stage is empty and very bouyant. With the stage reg still in your mouth let the stage float up in front of you. Now you can reach back and move the 70' bottle up and clip to your D-rings as normal. Now you can switch to your back gas, pull the stage bottle down, stow the reg, turn the valve off, and clip it to your hip D-ring using just the top clip (like you had the 70' bottle before).

Now your ready to use your 70' bottle for your deco. After you have finished the deco using the 70' bottle, just make the switch over to your O2 bottle the same way you switched from the stage.

The key to using stage and deco bottles is that you only breathe off of the bottle that is on top of the stack (I hope that makes sense). Once your done breathing it, get it out of the way, by moving it back behind you.

If you haven't noticed I am a STRONG DIR advocate as I have found nothing that doesn't work in the DIR system. I also couldn't care less if you dive DIR or not.

Have fun and don't try three bottles until you have the two down first. It is tough to swim with.

Dive safe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom