Rigging a pony bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheRedHead:
I thought the shoelace rigging was one of the most original things I've read recently on scubaboard. Very constructive. :D

Plus, you wouldn't have to buy them. Just steal them off of those Rock Boots that have been sitting in the corner of the garage collecting dust and insects. :D

OK, let me be a little more explicit.

Please limit further discussion in this thread to actually answering or discussing the question proposed by the original poster.

jonnythan:
Please limit further discussion in this thread to actually answering or discussing the question proposed by the original poster.
Wouldn't that be cool!?!?

I'm actually interested in reading more about shoelaces...

I have a "sock" that my 19cf pony slips into. It has slots so that it can be straped to the main tank. I have also tied string so I can clip it to my BC like a stage botlle. I repainted my 19cf and let it dry for 2 weeks and then slipped it into its "sock". I should have left it for longer cause now its stuck in there. Contrary to some other peoples opinion there is nothing wrong with a 19cf pony as long as you train with it and do not use it to extend your bottom time.
I personaly only use mine for no decompression deep (30m) dives and solo dives.
My calculations ( in metric) a 3L pony at 230 bar (19cf) can return a single diver from 40 meters at 10 meters a minute including a 2 minute 20m stop and a 3 minute 5m stop with a SAC of 25LPM (1cf=28L)

I think the OP's question has been pretty well covered, no?

Many folks like to sling the pony, though as you've seen on this thread there are others who also hang them on their main tank. Me, I'm in the latter group -- my pony is mounted on the back, attached with a QuickDraw bracket that is held on by the tank strap.

If you back mount, you then also get to choose valve up (like the main tank) or down. I use mine valve down -- drop my right hand straight down and back, and the pony's valve is immediately in front of the regulator hose.

Whatever mounting method is chosen, practice is key. The pony is a bailout bottle, for when it has hit the fan. Anyone using it should really know where that reg is stashed, and know what they can do with it (time/depth limit for the bailout).

Personallly I like my 19 -- small enough to be a reasonable option to take along on travel (I'm going on vacation again this Sat, and it's coming with my gear). (It needs to be emptied first, valve taken out, put a plastic baggie over the top, and send it through as checked luggage).

A 19CF at 3000 psi is about equivalent to 750 psi in an AL80, in terms of useable gas.

You need to understand not only why you're mounting it a certain way, but the ramifications of mounting it that way.

Slung: Pro: You can tell if there's a problem. Con: Some people say they feel it's in the way.
Tank mounted: Pro: It's more out of the way. Con: You can't see if something goes wrong.

My personal preference for any type of non-primary air supply is to sling it. If I can't detect and fix a problem almost immediately, then just how much do I want to be depending on it? If I'm bringing it, it's because I consider the item to be important. If it's important, I want to be able to maintain control over it at all times.

I use a sling system similar to the one mentioned above, but I just put the hose clamps on top of inner tube segments (with the screw parts in a short length of tube, to prevent catching on things). With my 19cf pony, I put the lower stainless steel hose clamp band right at the bottom of the tank. The upper bolt snap (I used smaller ones than in those instructions) is right at the shoulder of the tank, and the lower bolt snap is right at the bottom. That lets me clip it from my left shoulder ring to my left hip ring on my BC, which is a great spot for it. If I've got a long walk to or from a shore dive, I can also unclip it from my shoulder ring and clip it across from one hip ring to the other, which can make a quarter-mile uphill hike a bit easier (that, and having a bungee to sling my fins over my shoulders).

With it slung shoulder-to-hip, it really does disappear when you're swimming horizontally. Only when you're taking a completely vertically inverted (head straight down, fins straight up) position does it occasionally get in my face, but since I'm not using my hands for much when I'm upside down like that, I just cradle the 19 with an arm. (Okay, if I'm goofing off and log-rolling, I usually hold it, too, but hey.)

I have my pony *only* as a backup in case of catastrophic equipment failure at depth (i.e. blow out an LP line, regulator locks up, etc. -- all things that *shouldn't* ever happen but that *could* happen). When I was deciding how to carry it, the fact it was my lifeline was a *strong* motivation to have it where I could watch it throughout the dive. It's a lot more psychologically comfortable to be able to verify my emergency air supply often during the dive than the very small inconvenience it may pose being slung as I have it (and frankly, once you're used to it, it feels quite odd to *not* have it slung).

I have a full console with SPG and depth guage on my pony (plus a dive watch strapped to the neck as a backup timer). That makes my pony basically a completely redundant system for executing a standard ascent in the event of a primary system failure (lost air, computer died, etc.). Additionally, if my primary SPG (HP hose, whatever) goes south (or my buddy's does), I can pull the console from my pony and swap it out for the bad one. (I even have a button SPG in a padded film canister so I can still carry the pony.) A week and a half ago, I actually had to pull the pony's console to save my buddy's dive. Worked precisely as planned.

(Incidentally, I saw a liveaboard's site one time that actually used the same pony rule I use. If you run out of air, your diving day is over. If you use your pony, you have run out of air, and your diving day is over. If you are forced to go to your pony due to equipment failure, and you can correct the problem, your diving day can continue.)

Halthron:
...snip...Slung: Pro: You can tell if there's a problem. Con: Some people say they feel it's in the way.
Tank mounted: Pro: It's more out of the way. Con: You can't see if something goes wrong.

What manner of problem would you be detecting? I'm all for detecting a problem but my back gas isn't slung either. What goes wrong?

Dave

Back
Top Bottom