Rig dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Foo:
Thanks for the report, Shaggie! 50 miles out- from where, please? Galveston? Or Beaumont? Sounds fun, except for the 4 hour trip part... dang seasickness skeers me!

50 miles out from Port A. Yea Foo, sea sickness sucks. Even in light seas I get it bad. Only chumed a little though. I was finaly able to hold down some lunch before I got into the water for the first dive.

wet-willie:
Thanks for the report, John. I am up for this sometime. I wonder how I will handle a 4 hour boat ride. Is there a place to sleep?

I am also interested in details. How many divers? How much each? How many dives? What are the profiles? How many fish did you spear? How many pounds of fish did you bring back? When is the fish fry at Windy Point? :)

Willie

The Orion is a good size boat for 6 divers plus 2 crew. There are berths down below to sleep with plenty of cold AC and a large fore deck to crash out on for those of us who have problems with sea sickness (bring your own pillow). Some of us did 3 dives on two different rigs. I blew out my computer on the second dive (my bad!) so I was unable to go do the snapper rig halfway back. As far as fish, I personaly didn't get any. But boat captain, Mike miglini got 2 large amber jacks at somewhere around 180fsw I'd guess. Some of my buddies speared some cudas, and at the shallower rig got some snapper and sheepshead. Mike let us have the smaller of the AJ (50+lbs) and we split the entire catch between all of us, so I came away with about 4 or 5 lbs meat. As far as profile, dive what you feel comfortable with. Note-these are NOT led dives, there is no dive master to lead and tell you when to come up! Watch your depth and have enough air to deco if necesary or you will end up like yours truely and not be able to do all the dives. As I said before though, diving the deep rig is an Awsome sight and I will definently do it again.

What's the cost of said trip per person?

Your looking at 200 for the closer rigs, 230 for the 50 mile rigs. You also have to remember to bring ALL your gasses, since there is no compressor onboard. Oh, and his name is spelled Miglini...

It was $250 per diver and he rents tanks for $10 each, steel 100 I think. Thanks for correcting me on the spelling Pville.

shaggie:
It was $250 per diver and he rents tanks for $10 each, steel 100 I think. Thanks for correcting me on the spelling Pville.
That sounds reasonable. I think the steel 100s would work out quite nicely.

Willie

I thought they were HP, but don't hold me to that. One of the guys that dove with them said the fill was only 2600psi though. The tank dia was that of an aluminum 80 but a little shorter. If you want to find out for sure call Capt Miglini himself at (361)688-9071.

shaggie:
I thought they were HP, but don't hold me to that. One of the guys that dove with them said the fill was only 2600psi though. The tank dia was that of an aluminum 80 but a little shorter. If you want to find out for sure call Capt Miglini himself at (361)688-9071.
The fill sounds like an LP, but the description sounds about right for an HP100.

Willie

Back
Top Bottom