Rig dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shaggie

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey everyone,

Just thought I'd drop a line and report on the rig dive I got back from today. If you've never done one, all I can say is DO IT! I've never seen anything like it. 150+vis, schools of large fish everywhere and 78deg water.
We went out on the Orion with capt. Mike Mcgleeny to the Baker rig (south I belive). It was a 50 miles out and 4 hour boat ride, we had to be at the dock at 5am:( . It was a long day, but worth it. Mike runs a good operation. The rig we went to is in 300ft of water, so you have to watch your depth (especialy if your spearfishing) because that next cross beam looks just so close! The current wasn't to bad and varied with depth. Definently a good idea to cover all exposed skin and wear gloves do the sharp barnicles, fire coral, urchins, fire worms, etc. Whether you're into macro photo or big game hunting it's definently something to see. I'm scheming on how I can afford another trip this fall sometime!

John

I love rig dives. Sounds like you had a great one!

Thanks for the report, Shaggie! 50 miles out- from where, please? Galveston? Or Beaumont? Sounds fun, except for the 4 hour trip part... dang seasickness skeers me!

Foo:
Thanks for the report, Shaggie! 50 miles out- from where, please? Galveston? Or Beaumont? Sounds fun, except for the 4 hour trip part... dang seasickness skeers me!

It ain't outta Beaumont/Sabine Pass. 50 miles here would only get you about 65'...

300'??? I wanna go!

Hey Shaggie, glad you had a blast diving the oil rigs.

How many divers? How many dives? What was the cost?

Thanks

Wow! That definitely sounds awesome and something that I need to do. Must figure out a way to squeeze the budget a bit more.

Thanks for the report!

Thanks for the report, John. I am up for this sometime. I wonder how I will handle a 4 hour boat ride. Is there a place to sleep?

I am also interested in details. How many divers? How much each? How many dives? What are the profiles? How many fish did you spear? How many pounds of fish did you bring back? When is the fish fry at Windy Point? :)

Willie

Back
Top Bottom