"Riding your Computer Up" vs. "Lite Deco"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Indeed, that is nothing more than the justification for where I end "lite deco". I continue to follow the same DC/algorithm for all subsequent dives.

What we all need is a biological sensor that directly measures dissolved-nitrogen induced tissue stress.
Like this: Official Albert Bühlmann Unexploded Goat for example? :p

My, how their $150 dive watch has changed! Is that a console or a wrist-mounted version?

Here is how I determine where my "lite deco" ends and hard deco begins: Type six 2's into a calculator then divide by your intended depth twice. Example: For 120 ft, you should get 15. That approximates how many minutes to the USN's NDL at that depth.
Provided you dive in US/imperial units.

Kinda biggish and stupidly obstinate when it comes to programming. :p

I was thinking something more like a shaped piezo transducer that could fire an impulse into tissue to cause local cavitation. Remember this? Air Blaster Gun Same idea, focused impulse.

Idea is to shock a very small area and then look for immediate changes in bioelectric conduction, doppler reflections, or blood absorption (ala' pulse oximetry) Might make a decent senior project for an Eng/EE type...
Provided you dive in US/imperial units.
Yeah, but SI gives funny numbers that are hard to remember. :wink:

I once had a neighbor who was an engineer. He asked me about the marketability of a device that would detect nitrogen they way an oxygen sensor on the finger detects oxygen in the blood. That was about 15 years ago. he didn't seem to think it would be all that hard to make it. He was just wondering if there was enough of a market for it to make the effort worth while.

I once had a neighbor who was an engineer. He asked me about the marketability of a device that would detect nitrogen they way an oxygen sensor on the finger detects oxygen in the blood. That was about 15 years ago. he didn't seem to think it would be all that hard to make it. He was just wondering if there was enough of a market for it to make the effort worth while.

Wow. He must have been GOOD!

Unfortunately, knowing your blood nitrogen level is not very useful.

I would take an accurate real-time measure of dissolved blood nitrogen concentration as a REALLY good first approximation to the problem. With that, one could possibly begin to tease out events that trigger DCI/DCS.

Did anyone ever die from dissolved nitrogen? Short of HPNS, who cares?

My BSAC tables came today. Page 9, level 1, greater than 984 millibar.

I had to sit down and take a breath. I get NDL's. FIVE sets of them depending on what I want my surfacing code to be!

So, an NDL is directly related to what you want to do later? (@boulderjohn alluded to this in an earlier post) For BSAC, NDL doesn't seem to have the least bit of "cross this line and die" flavor. I'm pretty sure of that, I read all the way to page 30. OMG, what a revolutionary concept! Now I want to compare the top-shelf sport NDL's to the supposedly aggressive BSAC's most aggressive NDL and the US Navy NDL's.

They are all copyrighted, but I can legally curve fit them to 0.99+ r^2. Did that. See pic.

NDL Comparisons.jpg

Bottom line, BSAC is CONSERVATIVE on the first dive for depths above 130 feet. Show me where I'm wrong. My point is made. If you enter deco in a planned and light manner, you should be fine. Best post of this thread: "Riding your Computer Up" vs. "Lite Deco"

BSAC is truly ahead of the game. Pick an NDL that works for you and run with it all the way to level 4 altitude tables.

But then, altitude doesn't have any effect on dive planning. Does GUE/UTD still profess that???

OH, one last observation. IANTD RGBM and PADI RDP are both EXACTLY THE SAME. Other than lawyers, can anyone explain this?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom