Revisiting the issue of "fitness"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think you need to do a backpack on a stair climber. That sounds just a tad strange to me. I think you can get the benefits by doing the right kinds of weight lifting: deadlifts and squats. Other people have mentioned others. I would add though, to put it altogether, try to improve your strength in the core. That would mean working the abdominals by crunches and other abdominal strengthening exercises. Having toned "abs" also helps the back which is a good thing. Injuring your back is not a happy sort of thing.

At your size and weight, 18 lbs sounds like a bunch. I dive with 8 or 10 lbs. My wife dives with 16 lbs with a 5 mm but she is considerably larger than you are (height and weight). I think if you do a proper buoyancy check, you can shed some of that weight which should help you up the ladder. The other thing is possibly using a smaller tank like a 63 instead of an 80. My wife is good on air and she can often get by just fine with a 63. I would assume that you have a buddy. You can hand up your weight pockets and that should help your exit.

HAHA....I'm a ladder snob too!!! I love that. Yeah, different ladders are different. I remember one with circular rungs that hurt my feet a little without booties. I'm training to go backpacking in Ecuador in March and rim to rim in Grand Canyon in May. And our backpacks are so heavy. Women don't know how to pack light.

But with scuba, I like to don and doff my gear in the water when possible. One of my friends, after 30 years of dive instruction has back problems. No need to push it, if you're on a liveabord, doff your gear in the water and let the divemaster carry it up for you. I was happy to do that for divers when I was working on a liveaboard.

Lots of good suggestions in this thread. If you are joining, or already belong to a gym or fitness center, just tell one of the trainers what you're aiming to do. Heck one of them might be a diver and will have a hands on understanding of what you need to do. They'll usually suggest excercises and show you how to do them right without requiring you to pay for a training session.

HAHA....
But with scuba, I like to don and doff my gear in the water when possible. One of my friends, after 30 years of dive instruction has back problems. No need to push it, if you're on a liveabord, doff your gear in the water and let the divemaster carry it up for you.

Just make sure weight belt is removed first and BC is inflated before attempting this manoeuvre...lol. On a serious note, nothing prevents you from shedding the weight belt (or your weight integrated pockets) and handling it (them) to the boat crew before coming out. It is amazing what 18 lbs lighter will feel like. Also, there is nothing wrong by telling the boat mate that on exit, you would appreciate if he could assist you by pulling slowly on your tank valve as you are coming up. it is amazing nowadays the service you will get with a Please and Thank you, accompanied by a genuine smile.

in terms of exercising, I am now an elleptical machine kind of guy (three knee surgeries will do that to you). I train for 45 - 60 mins everyday. Just attempting to do 30 to 45 mins every second day at your own pace will assist you tremendously. After a while, your pace will get faster and you will be able to do it longer. No need for packsack and extra weight...

Other exercises that might help...squats and lunges (no weight required initially and then you can do them holding dumbells of various weight in your hands). No doubt in my mind you will discover muscles you thought you did not have.

I'm a 51 year old woman, am 5' and weight about 115-120 (depending on how "good" I've been lately). My cholesteral is good; my blood pressure is good (on the low side); don't smoke. When boat diving I can lug the weight of the gear and lead without complaining - but I noticed on our recent trip to the Keys that I was really hoping for someone to grab my tank to help me get up and out of the water at the end of my dive. Once on the boat I was fine - it's climbing that short ladder out of the water that gave me trouble. (for reference, I was wearing a 5 mm suit with a 5/3 hooded core warmer, and 18 pounds of weight).

We are looking at a live-aboard - thinking about a trip next summer - and the ladder/stairs on the boat are a bit more than what I'm accustomed to. I understand that the ladder on a live-aboard will be more like "steps" than a more vertical ladder? I'd like to do the right sort of weight training to target the muscle groups most important for carrying the weight and getting out of the water. It seems obvious that leg strength will be important, but what about shoulders and biceps?

If anyone wants to be specific about which exercises to do that would be great. I started yoga - and that seems to target strengthening some muscle groups as well. Because of my age - and being female - I know it's important to do weight bearing exercises anyway to increase bone mass to prevent/decrease osteoporosis. So fire away! Thanks in advance!

Kimela

If you have not done any weight training for several years and you are a typical, somewhat sedentary 50 yr old, petite women... then you will likely experience some significant strength gains if you train properly. The key is that it is going to take a while to attain those gains. In order for you to reach your goals, it is much more important to avoid getting hurt rather than trying to progress rapidly. Getting hurt, or super sore, pulling muscles, strains, will slow your overall progress more than training with a little less intensity.

If possible, try to train at least 3 days per week and try to never do less than twice a week. Long term, consistent dedication is more important than any specific training regime for a typical person.

My advice is to concentrate on abdominal muscle exercises and low back, probably every day that you training. These are chronically weak areas in many people, so do those. If you are not going to dedicate a huge amount of time to trying to sculpt your body, then you should do 3 times a week aerobics.. biking, swimming, jogging, elipitical, stair machin ... 15-20 minutes minimum. Having excess aerobic capacity and well conditioned legs is very beneficial for scuba.

If you have limited time, you should concentrate first on exercises that move a lot of weight and involve a lot of muscles. For example, a leg press is very beneficial.. try to do 25-35 repetions, which will require a relatively low weight and will reduce the chance for injury. Lat pulls, similar to a pull up on a machine, involve back, biceps, shoulders all in one exercise. Again high reps.. 12-18.

Push ups or bench press is also a basic exercise that works the chest and triceps.

Next, leg curls on a machine, will greatly reduce the incidence of leg cramps.

If your knees can take it, you might try lunges, they will definitely help with leg strength and balance and control, which are important on a ladder.

If you have more time and energy, then you can do curls, work with dumbells, deltoid lateral raises etc. but these are lower prioroty than the bigger exercises that move more weight and involve multiple muscle groups.

While getting in better shape is always a good idea (I'm working at it now,) I don't think there is anything wrong with letting the boat crew know you need a bit of help getting back on the boat. When we dive cold, we dive dry, and use a lot of weight. I usually ask them to grab my weight pockets before I climb the ladder.

I don't think you need to do a backpack on a stair climber. That sounds just a tad strange to me. I think you can get the benefits by doing the right kinds of weight lifting: deadlifts and squats. Other people have mentioned others. I would add though, to put it altogether, try to improve your strength in the core. That would mean working the abdominals by crunches and other abdominal strengthening exercises. Having toned "abs" also helps the back which is a good thing. Injuring your back is not a happy sort of thing.

At your size and weight, 18 lbs sounds like a bunch. I dive with 8 or 10 lbs. My wife dives with 16 lbs with a 5 mm but she is considerably larger than you are (height and weight). I think if you do a proper buoyancy check, you can shed some of that weight which should help you up the ladder. The other thing is possibly using a smaller tank like a 63 instead of an 80. My wife is good on air and she can often get by just fine with a 63. I would assume that you have a buddy. You can hand up your weight pockets and that should help your exit.

I agree on the deadlifts and squats. Find the correct starting weight for you on those lifts, learn the correct technique and slowly increase the weight that you work with. Over time this will make you stronger, along with the other physical benefits that this brings.

Eat healthy: Protein, vegetables, some fruit.

If you do not want to do weighted squats, although there's no reason not to you can do "air squats".......Crossfit WOD's (Workout of the day) often incorporate these.

Search:
1.)Starting Strength
2.)Crossfit
3.)Paleo diet. (#1 and #2 above will be more effective if you are eating along the lines of Paleo....there are some variations, but find what works for you.)

The crossfit site has many videos demonstrating the proper technique for most of the exercises they use. Crossfit is a metabolic conditioning type of program, starting strength focuses only on getting stronger. These are two different goals, but both are effective and both will improve your functional strength (climbing up a ladder under a heavy load).

-Mitch

Much good advice has been offered concerning the type of exercises that might be helpful. I think you will find particularly useful the information concerning leg and lower back (and core) exercises. I don't have any great insight concerning exercise, but I HAVE climbed more than my share of ladders with heavy equipment, since I was a firefighter for 27 years.

One climbs using their legs more than their arms. Realizing this is vital, for it dictates what type of conditioning is necessary in order to be prepared. Technique is also important. Utilize the "three point rule" when climbing...two feet and a hand or both hands and a foot make contact with the ladder at all times. The arms are mostly for stabilization and not pulling, yet they can be used to hold your position more vertically on the ladder. In that way, your legs are more effective in their push upward.

Finally, I also think you'll find that you will be able to trim quite a bit of weight from your gear if your destination is the Bahamas. I comfortably wore a 2 mil skin and dove with 10 pounds last May, and I weigh nearly 200 pounds.

I think you are getting good advice on this thread. Hope you have a fine time, and be sure to post a trip report!

This is a post from John C Roat, a 69 year old Saturation Diver, in a commercial diving forum on the topic of working out while in Sat or whilst in Deco.
Keep in mind he is 69 years old ....

"If I'm down for weather I will do push ups set ups and a full stretch routine. When deco-ing I do the same. Laying on your dead ass for days is not good for you!

1) Light stretch
2) 40 push-ups, 40 set-ups
3) Neck Rotations, 30 each way
4) 20 push-ups, 20 set-ups
5) Arm Circles 3 min.
6) 20 push-ups, 20 set-ups
7) Hello-Jack, Hello-Jill, 30
8) 20 push-ups, 20 set-ups
9) Press-Press Fling, 30
10) 20 push-ups, 20 set-ups
11) Front-up, Back-up, 30
12) 20 push-ups, 20 set-ups
13) Side-benders, 30 each way
14) 20 push-ups, 20 set-ups
15) Body Rotations, 30 each way
16) 20 push-ups, 20 set-ups
17) Flutters Kicks on stomach, 100. Flutter Kicks on back 100
18) 20 push-ups, 20 set-ups
19) Setting Front Stretch. Down 10 sec. up for 5 sec. down for 20 sec. up for 5 sec. down for 30 sec.
20) 20 push-ups, 20 set-ups
21) Hurdlers Stretch, Down 10 sec. up for 5 sec. down for 20 sec. up for 5 sec. down for 30 sec. Left leg then right.
22) 20 push-ups, 20 set-ups
23) Setting V Stretch. Down 10 sec. up for 5 sec. down for 20 sec. up for 5 sec. down for 30 sec.
24) 20 push-ups, 20 set-ups
25) Toe Risers, 100 each way, In, Straight and Out
26) 50 push-ups, 50 set ups.

If you’ve read this far I hope your saying, BS he can’t do that. Well just ask the guys that have tried to do it with me, and had to buy me dinner when they couldn’t. The truth is you don’t need to go that far to stay in good shape. Take my Routine and cut it in half, do it every other day. It will get your Cardiovascular System in good shape. If you don’t like that, every vessel we work on offshore, has nice steep stairs, try walking them for 30 minutes, three or four times a week. That will get your heart rate up.

PS I am 69 years old and have just passed my yearly Dive Phy Unlimited. Most of you guys will not last if you don’t learn to take care of yourself. You will last longer not laying on your dead ass! "

I have same issue. I'm 52 yrs, 5 ft 2 in and slightly heavier than you. When we went to St. Lucia I was surprised how much difficulty I had. I work out regularly and do quite a bit of weight lifting. Lots of emphasis on legs. However, when returning from a shore dive I had to claw my way up the beach on all fours. I'm a new diver and was absolutely mortified. I was able to walk into the water without problems. Coming out I just could not get my legs under me. My husband to help haul me to my feet.

We 're heading to Cozumel in June. I'm loading my leg weights for squats!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom