Review: DRIS 28lb BP/W System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haha thanks for the information, I didn't even know there were multiple shops in Savannah, I only knew of one. and Sure I'll definitely be giving you a call this week. Thanks again for the information, I appreciate the help :D

SeaJay, Eddie has sopras sub backplates, with duel bladders........last I was in there he had only one on the self and claimed it was sold....
sealsix14...did you by any chane do your dive classes through Georgia Southern? If so When?

Yes actually, I'm taking it right now, we have our pool test next week, then our Check out dives the following weekend. Hopefully the weather will be nice like it has been lately for the trip to Ginnie Springs.

Sealsix,

As a relative new diver as well, I have found getting ahold of an experienced diver, esp. when getting my BP/W setup properly is the best way to go. I actually picked up a used BP/W setup (DR SS and Apeks Wing) and when I brought the stuff there to have the instructor who was taking the time out to fit me properly in it, learned that the BP was actually to small for my back. It would probably have taken me a few dives to recoginize this, and like many, my time under the water is precious and would prefer to have it done the right way the first time.

Let us know how your check out dives go at Ginnie Springs!

Oh yah, so you know, don't be surprised if you look at the bottom and see a flounder. It is kind of weird to see, but also cool.

Thanks, I've been trying to get more involved with the dive community and find experience individuals that could "mentor" me. Also I think I've decided that I want to go all the way to Instructor so finding guidance is important :D. It's been hard finding experienced people, but I have found Scubaboard to be a great place for it and so far things have been great and everyone is helpful. And of course I'll let you know how the trip goes, should be a great time, and I'm lucky I'm relatively close...3 hours..so I can get down there for practice, and training most weekends.

Usually Dive Shops tend to have Dive Clubs. Besides your local Dive Clubs, finding out what other 'regional' ones are doing is pretty good way of getting to meet a large group. I know there is a pretty active part in cave country, esp. for cave divers. Don't know about GA and SC though.

yeah I've been looking into that, and I've heard of Cave Country and am wanting to eventually get down there to do cave training since they have a great reputation. I know there are a few clubs around Atlanta but Once I get home I'll be able to go visit the shops and get in touch with the clubs and get more involved.

yeah I've been looking into that, and I've heard of Cave Country and am wanting to eventually get down there to do cave training since they have a great reputation. I know there are a few clubs around Atlanta but Once I get home I'll be able to go visit the shops and get in touch with the clubs and get more involved.

Well, your doing your Open Waters in Cave Country (though NOT in the caves themselves).

Usually Dive Shops tend to have Dive Clubs. Besides your local Dive Clubs, finding out what other 'regional' ones are doing is pretty good way of getting to meet a large group. I know there is a pretty active part in cave country, esp. for cave divers. Don't know about GA and SC though.

GA and SC are very different in terms of the average diver mentality than Florida.

Florida seems to be very full of beautiful dive locations, both freshwater (cave country, caverns, clearwater springs) and salt (Keys, any coastal South Florida location, both East and West coasts). Consequently, it's very attractive to dive, and there are a lot of social, recreational divers that participate in the activity and consequently a lot of dive-oriented clubs.

SC and GA have little to offer, by comparison, in terms of pretty, warm, fun sites to dive. Our waters - up to about 8 miles offshore or so - tend to be murky, very tidal (average tides in FL are around 2 feet - here our average is 8-10 feet), low visibility, and often with large currents. Most divers here consider "diving" as something that's done on a few-hour car ride to Florida.

However, these murky, low-vis, high-current waters - we call them "blackwater" - hide a lot of historical artifacts. In my local town just north of Savannah, GA, we have seen both the Revolutionary War and the Civil war, the Spanish-American war, and even some activity concerning WWII and the War of 1812. With European history reaching back as far as 1520 in this area, and Native American history reaching back thousands of years, the local rivers are literally peppered with historical artifacts. Additionally, our local waters also are carving out a fossil bed called the "Hawthorne Formation," exposing bone and teeth that are millions of years old. Florida divers would be quite envious if they knew what was at the bottom of our rivers.

However, even most local divers still choose not to dive here because of the turbid, uninviting waters. Most would rather go to Florida's clear, freshwater springs.

As such, our divers - those that actually DO dive locally - tend to be secretive and somewhat anti-social when it comes to diving. They prefer to keep their favorite dive spots very quiet and tend to not tell a whole lot of people where things are. Case in point: A good megalodon (ancient shark) tooth - often more than 6" in length - can fetch upwards of $700 on eBay. When a local diver finds a place where he can find such teeth, he's not likely to want to share the information, as it can be a very profitable venture to dive. A good "tooth hole" can yield upwards of $80k-$100k.

As proof to this, I encourage you to check eBay for "megalodon teeth." You will see that there are only a few places in the world where teeth - and other fossils like them - are coming from. Here, Peru (predictably, not many), and some very remote and extremely deep (undivable) areas of the South Pacific. Recently the Hunley submarine - the first submarine to ever successfully sink an opposing ship - and Confederate, from the Civil War - was found locally, raised, and displayed. It had been lost in just 18' of water right off of nearby Charleston, for almost 150 years. There are lots more artifacts like that here, too, and most local divers aren't willing to talk much about what they find.

We have still managed to pull together a dive club, however, since our offshore dive sites, weekend Florida runs, and annual global trips are still bound to attract a plethora of recreational divers. Check here: Log In | Facebook

Last edited:
GA and SC are very different in terms of the average diver mentality than Florida.

Florida seems to be very full of beautiful dive locations, both freshwater (cave country, caverns, clearwater springs) and salt (Keys, any coastal South Florida location, both East and West coasts). Consequently, it's very attractive to dive, and there are a lot of social, recreational divers that participate in the activity and consequently a lot of dive-oriented clubs.

SC and GA have little to offer, by comparison, in terms of pretty, warm, fun sites to dive. Our waters - up to about 8 miles offshore or so - tend to be murky, very tidal (average tides in FL are around 2 feet - here our average is 8-10 feet), low visibility, and often with large currents. Most divers here consider "diving" as something that's done on a few-hour car ride to Florida.

However, these murky, low-vis, high-current waters - we call them "blackwater" - hide a lot of historical artifacts. In my local town just north of Savannah, GA, we have seen both the Revolutionary War and the Civil war, the Spanish-American war, and even some activity concerning WWII and the War of 1812. With European history reaching back as far as 1520 in this area, and Native American history reaching back thousands of years, the local rivers are literally peppered with historical artifacts. Additionally, our local waters also are carving out a fossil bed called the "Hawthorne Formation," exposing bone and teeth that are millions of years old. Florida divers would be quite envious if they knew what was at the bottom of our rivers.

However, even most local divers still choose not to dive here because of the turbid, uninviting waters. Most would rather go to Florida's clear, freshwater springs.

As such, our divers - those that actually DO dive locally - tend to be secretive and somewhat anti-social when it comes to diving. They prefer to keep their favorite dive spots very quiet and tend to not tell a whole lot of people where things are. Case in point: A good megalodon (ancient shark) tooth - often more than 6" in length - can fetch upwards of $700 on eBay. When a local diver finds a place where he can find such teeth, he's not likely to want to share the information, as it can be a very profitable venture to dive. A good "tooth hole" can yield upwards of $80k-$100k.

As proof to this, I encourage you to check eBay for "megalodon teeth." You will see that there are only a few places in the world where teeth - and other fossils like them - are coming from. Here, Peru (predictably, not many), and some very remote and extremely deep (undivable) areas of the South Pacific. Recently the Hunley submarine - the first submarine to ever successfully sink an opposing ship - and Confederate, from the Civil War - was found, raised, and displayed. There are lots more artifacts like that here, too, and most local divers aren't willing to talk much about what they find.

We have still managed to pull together a dive club, however, since our offshore dive sites, weekend Florida runs, and annual global trips are still bound to attract a plethora of recreational divers. Check here: Log In | Facebook

I'm actually kind of aware of the historical treasure trove that is SC. I have read up on it a bit, especially Cooper River and the others. As far as Salt Diving, being in Jax it's pretty much like SC in that the good dive spots are a few miles offshore (more to do with viz than waves).

Just thinking that because of your post, I am REALLY seeing what a diving meca the SE US can be when you really look. Also, being in NE FL really positions me well between Cave Country, the Keys and the Wrecks of SC and NC.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom