REVIEW: CREE MC-E Diving Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Got mine today. I'm really impressed from the build quality. Seems really robust. It's really easy to disamble the head. I used our home heaters metal pipe to twist the head against. Spring was pretty thick, so i had to use saw to cut it. Havent had a change to dive with it yet. Light is seriously strong.

How does the light react when battery runs low. Does it fade over minutes? Or does it drop from 100% straight to 0% in an instant?

it depends on the batteries you are using, protected batteries tend to knock off due to the soldered circuit board cutting out the current. Non-protected batteries will probably run until it drys out. Regarding dimness, different people have reported different observations to this, some say it will dim out with time whilst other report otherwise...

It's supposed to have a constant current driver which would mean that it runs at full output until it can no longer do so. I'm also using protected batteries which also provide power until a certain point and then just cut off.

Mine does just cut off and it also appears to run at full power until it does cut off.

Hello

Is this the Oxycheq sock for Raider IIIthat you use ....

I've also just found this one, for the Raider III & IV

and this one, is for the Raider I & II

I left a message on the Oxycheq board a few days ago to ask if it would fit my light, but I didn't get a reply yet

I saw your post. Any of them should work. I have the III. I also later made my own. I saw the diameter of your light. It should work. The material is a little stretchy. Also, if it is a little loose it's easy to put a rubber band around the body of your light before you put it in the sock.

You'll like it.

I made one for myelf too out of neoprene and two velcro straps
it worked great, but now the sraps are beginning to fray and it looks a little tatty :shakehead:

So, the III fits your CREE [I have one of these too]
My usual light that I use is a tiny bit narrower than this
and I also have one that is bigger, I don't have it right now to measure

Last question:

with your CREE is the III:
a) slightly tight
b) fits perfectly
c) a little lose and requires some modification [elastic band/ slip of neoprene]

Thanks

Layla

I saw your post. Any of them should work. I have the III. I also later made my own. I saw the diameter of your light. It should work. The material is a little stretchy. Also, if it is a little loose it's easy to put a rubber band around the body of your light before you put it in the sock.

You'll like it.

I made one for myelf too out of neoprene and two velcro straps
it worked great, but now the sraps are beginning to fray and it looks a little tatty :shakehead:

So, the III fits your CREE [I have one of these too]
My usual light that I use is a tiny bit narrower than this
and I also have one that is bigger, I don't have it right now to measure

Last question:

with your CREE is the III:
a) slightly tight
b) fits perfectly
c) a little lose and requires some modification [elastic band/ slip of neoprene]

Thanks

Layla

It is a little loose but doesn't "require" modification in that it wouldn't fall out. I can just turn it in place so I got a small piece of 1/8" bungee and stretched it around the middle of the body and tied a knot.

When I did that it's now hard to get in the sock and it stays in place.
I didn't really have to do anything but I liked it better that way.

I now actually use it for other lights and made something out of PVC and bungee for that particular light.

I also modified the light sock by putting a piece of PVC under the fabric that holds the light to provide more support...mainly just because the Cree light was rather long but I had the piece of PVC and it was easy to attach and I like the effect.

Hiya

I'm going to get both the Raider I/II and Raider III/IV, someone also answered my other post

I figure the III/IV will fit my Barbolight perfectly
and the I/II may be large enough to fit my SL4 which is my back up light

Thanks

Layla

Finally got around to posting some pictures of the mod I did to my light. I bought the SSC P-7 C-bin version of this light and then bought a D-bin P7 LED to replace the C-bin. I changed the color as well as I changed the CSXO? with a DSWOI. I'm not sure if the original was a CSXOJ or CSXOI, dif being the forward voltage required to drive the LED and consequently the power consumption as both have same current specs. The I drives with a little lower vf than the J, but duno which was originally in the light.

Photos attached :D

Attachments

• P7 C-Bin vs D-Bin High.jpg
    P7 C-Bin vs D-Bin High.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 129
  • P7 C-Bin v D-Bin Med.jpg
    P7 C-Bin v D-Bin Med.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 109
  • P7 C-bin v D-Bin Low.jpg
    P7 C-bin v D-Bin Low.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 115
  • CHN Light Mod1.jpg
    CHN Light Mod1.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 130
  • CHN Light Mod2.jpg
    CHN Light Mod2.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 118
Is anyone able to comment on how the output compares (brightness, width of beam) to the Uk Aquasun eLED?

Also - what is the main difference between the MC-E and P7 verison (in laymans terms)?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom