Returning found gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it has a name, I try to find the owner. If it's high dollar with no name, I'll ask around to try to find the owner.

If it's something cheap like a bolt snap, it goes in the bottom of my gear bag because I'll lose one eventually, and some guy will find it and keep it.

It's like the circle of life, but for bolt snaps.

if it's not marked and something i don't need i give it to my local dive shop. he waits several weeks to see if anyone ask, or mentions lost gear and if no owner steps forward he puts whatever it is in his rental line and cuts me deals on air fills, etc.

I would definitely try to return something that had a name on it. And I would gladly return anything that I heard was lost by someone. My buddy just found the spear side of a Hawaiian sling and as soon as he heard of someone who lost it - he returned it to the very grateful diver who had lost it. Everyone was happy with this! :)

However, I do recover about 2 anchors per year off of the Yaquina Bay South Jetty. After the recovery effort (lift bags etc), I have never tried to find the owner. A couple of the anchors are presently listed on Craiglist. (FYI - If you want to lose an anchor - drop it in the rocks on a jetty :) )

I found a mask and snorkel on the 3rd finger a couple of weeks ago and I'm contacting Eugene Skin Divers Supply because the mask has a "custom" ESDS strap on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom